Author Topic: Finished playing...  (Read 141639 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Finished playing...
« Reply #660 on: December 27, 2019, 01:58:58 PM »
SOMA, a sci-fi/horror game.  The story of this game is quite good; as video game writing goes, I'd put it up there with Horizon: Zero Dawn (although it's smaller in scope).  The sound design and visual design create an immersive atmosphere akin to Subnautica's.

The gameplay is pretty minimal, a small step up from a walking simulator like Firewatch.  There are mechanical elements you can get stuck on, but they're not really puzzles in the sense of a point-and-click adventure; it's just sometimes hard to find the right pixels to interact with to move the plot forward.  There are enemies you have to hide from or flee from (you can't fight them), but although they contribute to the atmosphere, they don't really create much of a game.  These enemies also arise from an underdeveloped side of the story; although they contribute to the oppressive atmosphere, they felt a bit tacked-on to me.

erstyx

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #661 on: January 02, 2020, 09:13:33 AM »
Note that there's a mode (patched in at some point on PC; might not be available on other platforms) that effectively turns the monsters off (they're there, but they don't chase you).

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #662 on: January 05, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »
Resident Evil 2 Remake

I played, and commented on, the one-shot demo last year and had decided to pass on the full experience but then my wife got it for me for Christmas so huzzah! I'm still a big wussy pants when it comes to tension and jump scares, so it's not exactly my type of game. I got through the Leon A scenario in one day because I don't think my nerves would've permitted taking a break and then going back to it. To be fair, the tension dials down dramatically once you move past the first setting due to a certain mechanic essentially going away. After that it's mainly jump scares and lots of "run back to retrieve item b for puzzle a" mechanics.

I will say that the game is absolutely gorgeous and it cracks me up to go back and look at old screenshots of the original (one of my favorite games of all time) to see how much has changed. The sound is amazing too, although that's usually to my detriment. Interestingly enough, the soundtrack is fairly muted, only coming alive for a few things but mostly staying quiet to set the atmosphere.

So yeah, overall, fun enough game and if you're able to handle the scares, it's probably really enjoyable. I just don't think I can ratchet up the nerve for a second playthrough.

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #663 on: January 23, 2020, 02:19:53 PM »
The Microsoft Store is also have a Lunar Sale as well as an Adventure Game sale.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #664 on: March 02, 2020, 09:18:48 PM »
The Division 2.  This is a looter-shooter MMO-lite, along the same general lines as Destiny 2--although I pretty much never saw other players except in safehouses.  The visuals are quite good, and the cover mechanics are very crisp.  The gameplay can get samey--there's really nothing to do but shoot at badly behaving humans--but I did play it for a lot of hours.  I'm not a fan of the storyline; it has no humor in it and I generally prefer less realism in my shooters.  (It's also a post-plague-apocalypse setting, which might not be great to play during the looming threat of COVID-19, but that didn't really bother me.)  I thought the gear stat system was kind of messy with too many stats, but it was just completely overhauled with the release of an expansion, and is probably more reasonable now.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #665 on: March 26, 2020, 09:19:36 AM »
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair.  This is a side-scrolling platformer intended to evoke Donkey Kong Country (with some residual style elements of Banjo-Kazooie), with a side 3D exploration/puzzle game.  The bulk of the game consists of 40 smallish levels, which you can run at will just for completion, or for five collectible coins per level (typically requiring a bit of sleuthing or a mild challenge).  The difficulty of these levels varies, but can be adjusted using "tonics" to make them easier or harder in specific ways.  Checkpoints are reasonably frequent, and you are allowed to skip to the next checkpoint after enough failures.

There is also a longer and more difficult "Impossible Lair" challenge.  This level contains no checkpoints and the difficulty cannot be adjusted, but you can accumulate up to 48 points of armor (basically screwup allowances), mostly by completing the aforementioned small levels.  I tried this a few times with 45 armor and got about 35% of the way through on my best try.  It's likely that I could get through this with enough practice, but I lost motivation.

The game is visually attractive and has decent music.  There isn't normal voice acting; instead there are these stylized noises that characters make when they speak as in Banjo-Kazooie.  The general tone of the game is comical but there weren't any laugh-out-loud moments.  Overall, I found the game pretty enjoyable for the 35 hours I played it.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #666 on: April 04, 2020, 07:45:58 PM »
Figment.  This is an indie game combining a puzzle adventure with a bit of action combat, with a strong narrative.  I'd rate the game better on its artistic merits than its gameplay; it has beautiful hand-drawn art and some compelling (though uneven) voiceover work.  The puzzles begin very easy and slowly progress to what I'd consider a moderate difficulty, sometimes relying on timing elements to provide a greater challenge.  The combat sequences tend to be a bit ponderous; most of them are fairly easy since you can take a fair amount of beating before dying.

The game engine crashed on me a few times near the end, sometimes forcing me to replay a fair amount.  I also got stuck (like, under stairs or something) once or twice, or had enemies move out of bounds during combat so that I had to move away and wait for them to come back into range.