Author Topic: Finished playing...  (Read 118043 times)

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
Re: Finished playing...
« Reply #285 on: December 28, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Similar to the first one, this is a big-budget no-holds-barred 5-hour explosions-fest of hugely manufactured set-piece battles. The production values are stellar but the plot is even more nonsensical than I had been led to believe and the body count is truly astounding. It also has an infamous level where you play a bad guy who massacres civilians (pretty tasteless and possibly sickening, although you are given the option to disable it).

In the first one, bad guys would endlessly respawn until you advanced past a certain point, at which point their respawning would be disabled and your allies would advance. That is much reduced in this game making it possible to actually fight and win gun battles instead of just sprinting to arbitrary map locations, and your AI companions are much more aggressive and intelligent, which is nice. But the opposition is more difficult. There is a level where you have to charge into the teeth of 20 guys with random mortars falling all around you that nearly made my tear my hair out.

I also had the 'Special Ops' pack in my version (I think it used to be DLC) that basically reruns the same levels with time and wave challenges (there are a handful of new levels).

I did not play multiplayer, because I do not wish to lose faith in humanity any more than I already have.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #286 on: December 31, 2012, 04:14:02 AM »
I did not play multiplayer, because I do not wish to lose faith in humanity any more than I already have.

Wise decision you have made. Faith in humanity, not what multiplayer is for. -Yoda
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #287 on: December 31, 2012, 08:01:16 AM »
Civilization V - Gods and Kings

I've played a ton of Civ V but got bored.  Picked it up again to try this DLC/expansion when I got it cheap on a Steam sale.  Played through a game, probably won't play another.

The expansion adds back in religion and espionage, which were popular in Civ IV but missing in the original V.  It also adds a lot more possible rulers, city states, luxury resources, world wonders, and reworks the unit and tech trees to some extent.  All of these things are improvements that add variation and replay differentiation; if you haven't yet picked up V I recommend getting this expansion with it.

That said, the AI are still rock-stupid, particularly at the tactical level. If they can't win by overwhelming force they have no idea what else to do so it's relatively easy to win mid- and late-game conflicts if you can avoid being overrun early on.

Leahnidas

« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2013, 03:14:36 PM »
Resonance

I picked this up super cheap during the Steam sale because I'm a sucker for old school adventure games and this one did not dissapoint. The fact that they used 90's style graphics, even if it was a primarily a financial decision, pretty much sealed the deal straight up but I was pleased to find some really good atmosphere music, ok-to-great voice acting, and a clean UI.

One of the big hooks of the game is the ability to switch between four main characters at will (after a brief intro with each individual character to establish them). This invokes an old Maniac Mansion/DotT feel but does it in a much more user friendly manner and also manges to shake the up the genre a little. By using three seperate inventory systems for long-term memory (basically events that all characters share knowledge of), short-term memory (events and items that you can use as a reference to other characters), and then your standard inventory, you're never left unsure of where things are while still maintaining the need to figure out how everything pieces together.

I won't talk about the plot because it's very awesome but I will say that there are multiple endings based off of certain choices you make and that a whole playthrough doesn't take very long, especially if you're a veteran of the adventure gaming scene. My playthrough lasted maybe five hours (not counting all of the time I had to go back and start over with due to a very unfortunate oversight on the part of the developers), though it should be noted that there are various achievements to get that you only get from deviating from the standard flow of the game, so it does have SOME replay value.

Overall, if you like adventure games, do yourself a favor and pick this one up. It only cost me 2.99 on Steam and they may still have it for that price but if not, standard is $10 and it's worth every penny. In the interest of fairness, I am going to make a seperate post for a very annoying thing that can happen in the game that can prevent you from finishing it and label it with a spoiler warning. If you happen to pick up the game, you can check it out to make sure you don't suffer the same fate I did.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #289 on: January 07, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (also discussed here and here and here).  I did one playthrough on hard difficulty using purely stealth, and one on easy difficulty using a great deal of violence.

It's a good game.  I even liked the boss fights, out of place as they were.  The first one in particular was heart-poundingly difficult on hard mode for a player with no combat upgrades and minimal weaponry, but it was possible.  I thought the environments were very well-realized (very Bladerunneresque, down to the soundtrack), the stealth gameplay was very crisp, and the skill system was full of interesting, non-linear upgrades.

There were a few downers: exploration could become a little tiresome since I wound up spending a lot of my time cataloguing alternate entrances rather than finding interesting side areas.  I ran into one glitched, uncompletable side quest on my first playthrough; it's dissapointing that a year after release, this was never fixed.  The sandbox does not respond believably to unethical violence; you can't make the news or even get yourself a stern lecture from your boss.  Certain areas mechanically disallow violence and certain characters are indestructible, which is kind of a cop-out for a Deus Ex game.  I'm not sure whether the inventory system qualifies interesting gameplay, though it does make ammunition a more interesting resources.  All of these are relatively minor blemishes on a good product.

ETA: Oh, right, Missing Link.  I didn't really like the writing or voice-acting for this.  It was, as you'd expect from DLC, more of the same gameplay, which is good if you still have the appetite for it.  I was kind of ready to be done by the time I got to it, myself.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:17:36 PM by Marco »

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #290 on: January 14, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »
Spec Ops: The Line

This game has been on more than a few Top 10 lists of 2012, most citing the game's critique of the Modern Military Shooter and the dissociation of the violence in these games and the aftermath. The subject has been explored by many people far smarter than myself, so I'll leave that aspect alone. However, I will say that this game does force you to look at what you've done, not only as a character in a game but also as a player of the game.

The Good

The story is what gets the most praise from critics, and I agree. I won't say much as I don't want to drop any hints that ruin it, but the story is very good and the message by the end is very clear.

The dialogue and voice-acting are also really well done. If you listen to the characters at the beginning of the game and to then at the end of the game, then you can really see that they are in a different place mentally. Even the in-combat dialogue such as "moving to cover!", "cover me I'm reloading!", or "tango is down!" changes throughout the game to the point where you yell at your own gun while reloading "you're fucking slowing me down". Overall, they capture something I rarely see in games, and that is a change in character reflected by dialogue and voice acting.

The scenary is beautifully disturbing. While the individual character graphics might be somewhat bland, the background of a broken-down Dubai is absolutely surreal. Every scene could legitimately be argued to be plucked from a Dream/Nightmare, and I was mesmorized as I progressed through the city.

The sound and music were also very well done I thought. Tunes are regularly blasted over a PA system that are very similar to music heard in Vietnom films. When the PA doesn't blast, the standard music is a bit haunting. Its certainly not bad ass metal or guitar solo's.

The Bad

The gameplay is farely basic and barebones. Its a simply a Cover-Shooter, and as such if you get caught in the open you die. You do die very easily, so its important to play smart and use your team commands (very simplistic attack commands really). Weapons are limited and you can only carry 2 at a time. Limited ammo also means you are swapping weapons out a lot. I would describe the combat as challenging, but not fun in and of itself (which was the expressed intention).

The level design is somewhat of a mixed bag. As I mentioned, the scenary is beautiful, but you don't get time to appreciate it as you move from fight to fight. The action sequences are also sometimes WAY over the top, and for a story like this it really pulled me out of the game. One scene in particular was so ridiculous that I'm not sure if it was being ironic or not.

The Ugly

The story can be considered ugly as well as good. This is not a game where there are any heroes. Ugliness pervades the story, the setting, and the characters. The game even gets ugly towards the player near the end, taunting or chastising you in loading screens. The endings (yes multiple endings) are, while fitting, an ugly way to end the game. It basically sit you on its lap and gives you a talking to. Half the conversation seems to be directed at the character Walker and the other half at the person playing Walker.

Overall I thought this was an excellent experience. I did not ENJOY the game in the same way that I enjoyed Borderlands 2, but it was a worthwhile experience. I don't see myself replaying this though. The multiplayer could be fun, but I read that the game designers did not create it and have disowned it as ruining the spirit of the game. I finished the game in 2 sessions, maybe about 8-10 hours total, so its not long if you're worried about it eating too much of your time up.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #291 on: January 15, 2013, 09:08:42 PM »
Jet Set Radio.  In this game, you play a cel-shaded teenager who is incapable of not dancing.  Your goal is to inline-skate across an urban landscape, damaging property and endangering pedestrians, to vandalize specific walls (or sometimes other teenagers) with graffiti.  Much of the time you're being pursued by police officers or faceless corporate drones who attempt to beat you to death or shoot you--fortunately, this is Japan, where bullets and missiles only hurt a little bit.  All of this happens to a backdrop of quirky underground music broadcasted by a frenetic black DJ/narrator figure.

I expect this game wouldn't appeal to a lot of people.  You have to kind of like the music, which is very weird, and also the gameplay, which requires mastering finicky controls through a lot of repetition and failure.  I also remember Jet Set Radio Future (the sequel, which hasn't been re-released) being better in every department--graphics, music, controls, level design, and gameplay.  But I did enjoy playing through JSR despite its relative primitiveness.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #292 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:11 AM »
I love the Jet Set Radio soundtrack. I downloaded it awhile back and it is indeed a weird mix.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #293 on: February 09, 2013, 07:02:07 PM »
Legend of Grimrock.  This game got some buzz for bringing back grid-based dungeoning with a tabletop RPG feel.  It's about 60% puzzle game and 40% action RPG.  The puzzles were interesting but at times frustrating; I got stuck several times on what I'd consider bad mandatory puzzles.  The action combat element was pretty fun, although nothing like a typical ARPG, being a combination of grid-based kiting and clicking on attack buttons as they cool down.  The RPG element was very truncated; I could spent two or three times as many skill points before my characters would have started to feel overdeveloped.  Overall, a fun game but not amazing.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #294 on: February 10, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »
Torchlight II

Finished in the sense of "completed one playthrough." The game is fun enough and the classes varied enough that I'll probably do another.  I might try some multiplayer to see if that's more fun.

The game has been discussed extensively, so just some bullet points: Excellent level design, high quality graphics (particularly considering the price). Combat still feels a little 'off' and being a caster is a serious glass cannon problem.  Plot is thin and there's no end game.  Boss fights are a little frustrating in that they're just fight-die-runback a bunch of times.  Loot is OK, a little standard.  The pet-messenger mechanic is still awesome and it's kind of interesting how different weapons have different game mechanics (reach vs splash damage; piercing vs knockback, etc).  Skills are varied and let you do many interesting builds, all of which seem viable.  Definitely a win for the $10 or so it costs these days.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #295 on: February 12, 2013, 05:23:04 AM »
FarCry 3

I should start off by saying I did not like FarCry 2. I finished it, but it was very tedious and full of annoyances. Thankfully, FC3 fixed a lot of my gripes about the previous title.

The Good
The most often heard expression relating to this game is, "Its Skyrim with guns". After playing it, I find that is a fairly apt description. The game world consists of 2 islands and no invisible walls (that I found). There are plenty of pirates on the island as well as predator animals that make exploration exciting. The environment itself is lush and varied, and after immersing yourself for awhile you can start to notice landmarks and unique features that are not found anywhere else. There are also an abundance of vehicles, including a wingsuit gained later in the game that lets you not die when taking crazy leaps off cliffs.

Liberating the island feels meaningful, which is a big plus. Areas become devoid of pirates after destroying a pirate outpost, and reactivating communication towers (minor platforming puzzles) provide shop discounts and freebies. The crafting system is also surprisingly fun and easy to grasp. It also gives a reason to hunt dangerous game.

The leveling system is also surprisingly well done. Each talent felt meaningful and added something to the game experience, especially the stealth kill options. It was also done in such a way as picking one path doesn't exclude another path.

The Bad
Like previous Far Cry games, the driving in this game is HORRIBLE. Vehicles do not control well and the perspective makes avoiding obstacles even more difficult. Ultimately fast travel and foot travel seem to be better means of transportation for the most part.

The weapons are bland and uninteresting (mostly). I will temper this critique with the fact that the guns are meant to be mostly scavenged pieces of equipment, and Borderlands 2 really spoiled me by making awesomely magnificant guns. At the end of the day though, there are a few unique weapons that were decent (and most all are customizable), but only a handful really felt "cool".

The AI in this game was also pretty weak. Enemies seemed happy to blindly charge to their death, clump up so they can communially eat a rocket, or do their standard "run to cover and immediately peek out". Oddly enough, I think the best AI in a FPS that I can recall is from FEAR, but its something that painfully stands out.

The Ugly
The hero and his friends are bunch of rich douchebags. The story gets pretty gritty, so you don't necessarily like to see his friends tortured or hear about implied rape...but in the flashbacks you see that the protagonist and his friends are not very sympathetic. Of course, there really aren't any sympathetic characters in this game (as you find out by the end).

The story itself is very dark and "gritty". I tries to shove an Alice in Wonderland vibe down your throat, but in this case the shoe barely fits. It had potential, and I really liked how early on your character's personality changes. Some of his conversations really show that the character is slipping into madness (similar to Spec Ops: The Line), but they ignore that aspect later and I feel it is a wasted opportunity.

Special Notes: Voss & Imperialism
Prior to playing the game, I heard a lot of hype surrounding Voss (one of the main villains). I have to say, he failed to live up to the hype. He's a good bad guy, don't get me wrong...but he's in the game far too little and has too little interaction with the protagonist. Meetings basically involve a monologue followed by some intricate death that ultimately fails to kill you. And in typical Bond fashion, Voss never waits to watch you die or confirm the kill. Some people were saying he was villain of the year, but in no way, shape, or form does the top Handsome Jack.

The other thing I heard a lot about prior to playing the game had to do with the game being Imperialistic. Basically, that the natives relied on the white man for help because they were too incompetant to do it themselves. I did not see this at all. What I saw, very plainly, was a guy who the natives said had "the warrior's spirit". Skin color was never mentioned. In fact the only time any sort of racism was mentioned was by Dennis (supporting character) who said Americans made fun of his accent when he immigrated and thusly paid him less. The protagonist never tries to change the natives' way of life or mention anything about how things are done in 'Merica. In fact, its some of the natives that constantly tell the protagonist to "let go" of his former life. In my book, I chalk the Imperialism complaint up to people looking to find an issue to complain about.

Overall, FC3 is a very fun game. If you like sandbox environments, dark stories set admist vibrant settings, and a cast of psychotic lunatics...well....FarCry 3 will scratch you right where you itch.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2013, 06:13:15 AM »
Witcher 2

I talked a lot about my experiences on the "does it get better" thread. Generally what I found was in line with what others have said - the graphics are very good, the story is excellent (if you don't mind lots of long cut-scenes and inescapable sequences), the combat is... interesting enough, though it felt like a console game most of the time.

It is gruesome and foul, but there are people to like and sides to sympathize with. The game presents a major plot split early on but I'm just not motivated enough to go back and replay it to see the other stuff. The side quests get repetitive to the point that I skipped the side quests in Act 3 in favor of following the major storyline.

Overall a solid B+/A- - I can see room for improvement and if they do well with the just-announced Witcher 3 I'll probably buy that.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #297 on: February 13, 2013, 05:55:24 AM »
The Binding of Isaac (http://store.steampowered.com/app/113200/)

A weirdly creepy cartoon-animated 2D adventure-shooter.  Got it as part of the Humble Bundle I believe. I'm not a fan of horror, nor of 2D shooters so the game started with two negatives for me. That said, I still mostly enjoyed it.  It's got a few simple puzzle mechanics and a gameplay feel that reminded me of old-style two-joystick arcade games (Robotron, anyone?).  You pick up upgrades and special items like keys that unlock rooms or chests and bombs that can be used to destroy enemies or saved to get you through impassable puzzles or blow open doors.

It's somewhat rogue-like in that there are no restore points or autosaves. Once you die you have to start over, and the levels are semi-randomly generated so you can get obviously good and obviously bad starts.  My biggest gripe is that it doesn't have a save+quit option, which means you can't just play a few rooms and then come back later.  The presence of this feature in FTL means I play a lot more of that game than I otherwise would and I don't see any reason for its absence here.

Overall a solid B, and not bad for five bucks.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #298 on: February 24, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
Arkham City.

Amazing visuals and cinematic brawling gameplay.  I played through on hard mode, which was challenging but not too frustrating, since the controls were quite good (usually).  The riddler puzzles were also interesting and varied.  The voice acting was good, the characterization was good, and the story was decent.

There were two notable drawbacks.  First and foremost, the PC engine crashed about once an hour on my machine due to an apparent memory leak.  Second, this is basically right from my point of view.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
Been away for a while so heres an update on the games that are finished in that timeframe:

Assassins Creed 3

Fun game. Cool main character. Very similar to 2 and its sequels combat wise. New features such as hunting and tree running are neat but sometimes feel like a waste. Best new feature is boat combat. All I could think of was how I wish the main character had been a pirate because the boat combat was fun. Well TA DA! ACIV is a pirate so that should be awesome. Main character felt flat. Characters around him, including the original character you play were a lot cooler. If you like the series, worth the time. If you didn't, probably not worth your time. If you have never played the series, play AC2 and AC:Brotherhood. Still the two best ones. This "ended" the main arc which was decent though I actually would have liked more options. High production value. Decent game overall though.

Borderlands 2

Awesome game. Still doing the DLC. Not much I can add other than I thoroughly loved it.

Lego:Lord of the Rings

Silly game I know but an absolute blast. IF you have ever played these games, then you know the charm they have. They have really expanded and let you explore now and can be kind of fun. This one, like its predecessor, let you explore the world. Getting to explore the world of Tolkien is a lot of fun as a bunch of Lego characters.  Overly simple though but still a fun romp through the land. Still the best series I have that I can play with the wife.

Black Ops 2

Done in the sense that I have hit max level (prestige) twice and almost at time three. If you enjoy multiplayer shooters, this one has done a great job standing out from its predecessors. The customization of your class has been expanded greatly. Also you get a lot of gadgets which are really fun. The combat is generally fast-paced which is nice. Guns don't really feel overpowered and it is common to see people using the guns you start with when they get to max level. The  biggest problem, as in any COD, is hacking. Not as bad on consoles but still there. A lot of fun though.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:58:31 AM by Gellin »
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).