Author Topic: Horrific Visions  (Read 380 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Horrific Visions
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:00:15 AM »
wowhead has a strategy guide up.  I haven't tried these on the PTR, but the guide's recommendations are consistent with comments I've seen elsewhere.

https://ptr.wowhead.com/guides/horrific-visions-strategy-faceless-mask-consumables-tips

The first five runs contain a significant dilemma: killing the end boss terminates the vision, but failing to kill the end boss means you don't upgrade your cloak.  Once you get to cloak level 5 that dilemma is significantly reduced, as you get your cloak upgrade items from side areas which don't end the vision.  It's apparently not that difficult to clear a corrupted area or two once you have the Sanity Restoration Orb (run #2), but for people with any anxiety about failing a run, I'd recommend going straight to the end boss until cloak level 5; it doesn't sound like you'll miss a lot in the medium or long term.

You can always practice on an alt, if you want to put in the extra time.

(For me, the real horror is the thought of using an item to start a vision and getting "Transfer aborted: instance not found".)

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
Re: Horrific Visions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:45:02 AM »
Ur a horrific vision

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:45:19 AM »
I felt like Kristin would be disappointed if I didn't post that.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:10:25 PM »
Ur a Kristin

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 10:23:36 PM »
My experiences this evening (on a well-geared demon hunter):

Lesser vision (solo): I failed the daily objective; you had to discover six mobs using an on-use item and kill them, and I only found three.  I think I went to the wrong parts of the lesser vision, and also got bogged down by a rare (which I didn't have time to kill).  Two of my friends did this in a group and had no trouble.  I believe the failure cost me 1000 coalescing visions for the week, which wasn't a great feeling but isn't going to be a big deal.  Tomorrow's lesser vision should be substantially easier since I'll have a rank 4 cloak (and maybe the restoration orbs, but I'm not sure about that).

Vision #1 (solo): went straight to Thrall.  Tried to thread trash and wound up pulling several packs at once, which was fine as a DH but might have gotten me killed on a more fragile class.  No trouble winning the fight in time.  I can't imagine being able to do a side area on this run.  It didn't seem like failing this run would have much of an impact since you can't upgrade the cloak yet; you'd just miss out on 100 mementos.

Vision #2 (group of three): experimented with doing the Drag (a corrupted zone) first.  Had to abort and go back to Thrall without finishing the side objective, partly because we didn't know how the side objectives worked, but mostly because we accidentally used orbs #2 and #3 at the same time.  Lesson learned: appoint one person to use the orb.

Vision #3 (group of three): did the Drag correctly and had time at the end to clear some extra trash packs.

Vision #4 (group of four): did both corrupted zones, starting with the one to the left.  We pushed one of our orb uses a bit close to the wire (you can't it out of combat), but we had some margin at the end to pull some extra trash and use an orb right before Thrall.  Thrall with two buffs took about a third of a sanity bar to kill.

I experimented with being a tank for part of run #2, but was DPS (as was everyone else) for the other group runs.  There wasn't a lot of damage.

Doing side areas in the early runs generates enough mementos to get some extra research upgrades quickly.  This feels nice, but probably isn't going to matter after a couple of weeks due to the increasing upgrade costs.

The first choice you make doing research upgrades is to pick a group trait or a solo trait.  You'll eventually double back and get the other traits on that row, but for the short term that choice will stick with you.  For today's runs, three of us picked the group trait, which pushed up the max sanity of the party from 1000 to 1450.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 06:47:32 AM »
Data point.

A friend of mine - a 421 guardian druid, no raid/m+ gear - failed the first vision in part because he couldn't dps Thrall down before his sanity went away. I'm not sure how much sanity he had going in, or the degree to which he was failing mechanics, but I thought I'd point out that relatively under-geared tank specs may have issues soloing, due to low dps.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 06:56:53 AM »

Lesser vision (solo): I failed the daily objective; you had to discover six mobs using an on-use item and kill them, and I only found three.  I think I went to the wrong parts of the lesser vision, and also got bogged down by a rare (which I didn't have time to kill).  Two of my friends did this in a group and had no trouble.  I believe the failure cost me 1000 coalescing visions for the week, which wasn't a great feeling but isn't going to be a big deal.  Tomorrow's lesser vision should be substantially easier since I'll have a rank 4 cloak (and maybe the restoration orbs, but I'm not sure about that).

They did not do a great job (to me) of making it clear you can go inside the city/building. I only found one or two in the area you zone into, but once I went towards the Shrine and went into the building, I found a dozen or two. I'm not sure if that'll change as more people realize you can go in there.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 07:01:39 AM »

Vision #1 (solo): went straight to Thrall.  Tried to thread trash and wound up pulling several packs at once, which was fine as a DH but might have gotten me killed on a more fragile class.  No trouble winning the fight in time.  I can't imagine being able to do a side area on this run.  It didn't seem like failing this run would have much of an impact since you can't upgrade the cloak yet; you'd just miss out on 100 mementos.

Vision #2 (group of three): experimented with doing the Drag (a corrupted zone) first.  Had to abort and go back to Thrall without finishing the side objective, partly because we didn't know how the side objectives worked, but mostly because we accidentally used orbs #2 and #3 at the same time.  Lesson learned: appoint one person to use the orb.

Vision #3 (group of three): did the Drag correctly and had time at the end to clear some extra trash packs.

Vision #4 (group of four): did both corrupted zones, starting with the one to the left.  We pushed one of our orb uses a bit close to the wire (you can't it out of combat), but we had some margin at the end to pull some extra trash and use an orb right before Thrall.  Thrall with two buffs took about a third of a sanity bar to kill.

I experimented with being a tank for part of run #2, but was DPS (as was everyone else) for the other group runs.  There wasn't a lot of damage.

Doing side areas in the early runs generates enough mementos to get some extra research upgrades quickly.  This feels nice, but probably isn't going to matter after a couple of weeks due to the increasing upgrade costs.

The first choice you make doing research upgrades is to pick a group trait or a solo trait.  You'll eventually double back and get the other traits on that row, but for the short term that choice will stick with you.  For today's runs, three of us picked the group trait, which pushed up the max sanity of the party from 1000 to 1450.

This mostly matches my experience solo as an equally well-geared Demon Hunter, because as the Old Gods have warned me time and time again MY FRIENDS HAVE ABANDONED ME.

That's good, though, as it does indicate things scale/balance relatively well between solo and groups, other than you don't have the rez safety net when solo. I think I was able to get the Drag done on my second attempt, but it was pretty close.

I suspect that classes without a standard interrupt are going to have a tough time soloing due to the number of cast abilities that can stun you and/or eat your sanity. Even with my interrupt and stuns, I felt like I was a bit short sometimes. Classes that lack in AoE or self-healing my struggle to solo, too, but I honestly don't know how many of those there even are any more.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 06:18:25 AM »
I soloed my fifth vision last night and had a pretty easy time. I made a few mistakes in dealing with abilities and still managed to clear both side areas with enough time and orbs left to try to poke my head into one of the remaining two "high level" areas to try and kill some trash, but immediately upon entry the game screamed at me that this area was too challenging and I should upgrade my cloak, so I bailed out and just killed Thrall. Still had half a sanity bar left despite--again--some bad plays and wasted time wandering around.

One additional thing that I picked up on at the tail end of my fourth vision and went after more aggressively in my fifth were the mysterious vials that are on the ground behind signs/around buildings/etc in the visions. There's five different colors--I think--and it felt like the colors stayed consistent in what they did across the single run, but I'm not sure if they're permanently consistent or randomized between runs/weeks. I can't find a table anywhere that outlines specifically what each color does, so it's hard to say.

Three of them gave bonuses that had a side-effect after expiration. One was 2% health back every five seconds, but then I was significantly slowed when it was over. for a bit Another was a often-proc'ing firebreath, but when it expired I'd lose control and run around on fire for a few seconds. Another did something like increase crit chance, but would cause me to vomit uncontrollably when it expired. The durations stack, so if you can find multiple of these, you can avoid the side effects entirely--at least until I zoned out, at which point I ran around on fire for a few seconds. They disappear when consumed, so if you're in a group, only one person will be able to use them, which will likely make it harder to avoid the side effects. The side effects are fairly minor, although I could see loss of control being a big problem in certain windows.

The other two colors either restore or reduce sanity. I believe the one that knocked off 75 sanity from me was the black vial. I don't recall which color was the sanity restoration, as I only saw it once.

These buffs do seem pretty significant, though, as I was way ahead of my timer from the previous run.

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 09:35:36 PM »
Doing this on a slightly undergeared alt (~ilvl 400) dps-monk Thrall DPS'd me down before I could dps him down on my first trip in.  Sanity wasn't the issue, having enough survival cooldowns and health was.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 09:16:53 AM »
Doing this on a slightly undergeared alt (~ilvl 400) dps-monk Thrall DPS'd me down before I could dps him down on my first trip in.  Sanity wasn't the issue, having enough survival cooldowns and health was.

On Pira, who was around 410 and is now around 425, I've had to swap out my DPS runic power dump for Death Strike pretty aggressively on the first one and another random one. I'm not sure what the difference has been on various attempts, although I guess non-tanks are vulnerable to crits and all... Still, it's seemed like a surprising amount of variance, despite avoiding all the avoidables.

I've been surprisingly okay on my Shadow Priest, even without using Vampiric Embrace, which seems odd with the other data points even though Shadow Priests get a 30% damage reduction after two hits.

Any class without a lot of passive mitigation (Plate) or sustain is going to probably have issues. There seems to be some variance, though, and I'm not quite sure what that might be.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »
A friend of mine - a 421 guardian druid, no raid/m+ gear - failed the first vision in part because he couldn't dps Thrall down before his sanity went away. I'm not sure how much sanity he had going in, or the degree to which he was failing mechanics, but I thought I'd point out that relatively under-geared tank specs may have issues soloing, due to low dps.
Me too as an ilevel 437(?) Mistweaver.  I had him down to about 25% when the timer ran out.  I could probably have made it work if I'd kited the trash to the entrance and blown all my cd's there rather than clearing trash carefully.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 01:17:58 PM »
Any class without a lot of passive mitigation (Plate) or sustain is going to probably have issues. There seems to be some variance, though, and I'm not quite sure what that might be.

"Are you a clothie who has to face tank with limited/no sustain? Go get a group"

Zipping through a MMOC thread, many people are complaining about the same thing. Some specs (hello Havoc) are just stupid OP. Some (shamans seemed to come up a lot, as well as non-Frost mages) have a very rough time.

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 03:06:59 PM »
Grabbing a couple upgrades (including crafting a 400 weapon to replace the 370) saw me at ilvl 410 and able to do this as windwalker monk.  I ran it 3 times, and the last run was the iffy-est -- I had to use a healing pot and ended at about 30% health.  The previous 2 I didn't need healing pots.  So there is definitely some RNG or something going on.  I did make a point of getting food & flask, and some cheap enchants, but it felt like overkill. 

Fernia

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 08:59:42 AM »
As a shadow priest, I am not having any problems melting faces and murdering Thrall, but I've been reluctant to do the side-quests solo.  My first real run I grouped up with guildies, and we ran out of sanity --- I think it was a matter of having two new cloaks in a group with some upgraded cloaks.  We landed up losing two during the Thrall fight to sanity exhaustion and that left us short of DPS.

I'm thinking the best strategy is to just solo through for the first 4 upgrades or so, and put all your points into the group powers.  When you need to run the side quests you will be well equipped, and you will have a team that compliments each other nicely.  Despite what the guides say about being FOREVER BEHIND IF YOU DIE in the Vision ... it's not going to matter that much, and down the line we are going to be getting blogged down in some of the harder later cloak upgrades.