Author Topic: Horrific Visions  (Read 2329 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Horrific Visions
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »
This weakaura displays a table of potion effects: https://wago.io/kxredzlg9 .  You need to click on the color of the poison potion for each vision.  It defaults to displaying in a very central location, so you'll likely want to move it after importing.  With the table up, a reasonable strategy is to focus on sanity and fire-breathing potions, while ignoring the defensive ones.

wowhead has a guide to the masks up here: https://www.wowhead.com/guides/horrific-visions-faceless-masks-acquisition-rewards-mask-runs .  You get introduced to the masks after you do a full clear.  To earn additional masks, you do lost areas with at least one mask up.

Demon hunters can double-jump over Split Personality patches by standing still and pressing space twice, according to Tom.  Pressing the "move forward" key while you do this will mess it up.

I'm having a variety of experience on my three characters.  Havoc is probably the best vision spec, is my raid and M+ main with 463 ilvl, and got an early lead in mementos by doing relatively aggressive group runs.  On that character, a full clear with no masks is a snooze, and for my last two torn pages this week I did a full clear with two masks (Dark Delusions and Burned Bridge).  Tom (also havoc) did a full clear with all of the masks except Long Night after finishing his rank 11 cloak upgrade, owing partly to the 43% increased longevity from the large insanity resistance bump.  My enhancement shaman (ilvl 443) also seems to have a good toolset for killing stuff in visions, but is more fragile.  He hasn't yet managed a full clear--partly because he only just picked up Gift of the Titans and doesn't yet have the defibrillator.  My destruction warlock (ilvl 447) doesn't feel as well-adapted to visions, although he's not terrible.  Also no full clear on that character yet.

Looking ahead, next week's cloak upgrade will likely only require one run, although it will be necessary to complete a lost area.  The rank 12 cloak upgrade provides a large main stat proc with a pretty high uptime (15s duration, should happen every 40s or so depending on haste).  The following weeks will apparently require a lot of pages (6, 12, and 18) and therefore a lot of vision runs, but the rank 15 upgrade only provides a bump in insanity resistance, so visions at that point should be more about collecting mementos for sockets than about boosting the power of the cloak.  After rank 15 it is supposed to be possible to increase the cloak's corruption resistance in steps of 3; we don't know exactly how that will work, but I expect we will continue to be time-gated with one increase becoming available each week.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:50:34 PM by Marco »

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 01:29:29 PM »
Anecdata follows.

* The weak aura that Marco mentions is incredibly helpful. A++ would use again.

* Based on reading of reddit threads, Havoc DH, Unholy DK, and BM Hunters are considered the platinum classes for clearing. DH - in particular - has the almost perfect trifecta of burst, sustain, and mobility. Other classes at similar gear levels can clear with multiple masks, but from what I've read, those 3 specs have a significantly easier time.

* Mythic raider at the office complains bitterly about sustain on his zap shaman.

* Once I worked out the kinks, I (452 ret paladin) was easily able to clear (0 masks) Org last week, with a rank 9 cloak (gift, no self-res) with plenty of sanity left. I also managed to clear SW this week with a rank 10 cloak (still no self-res), but was cutting it very close at the end. I was using the 2% health/minute food, but upon reflection, I did not feel that was necessary for 0 masks, and would have been better served by using the 20% movement speed food.

(Note: part of the problem for SW is that the mage quarter is a fricken maze, and then with limited mobility, you blow a lot of time on Umbric. As always, SW sucks)

* By contrast, my boomkin (mid 440s, level 7 cloak, I think) struggled badly to be able complete both medium areas + Thrall. I felt much squishier (both incoming damage, and low sustain), and couldn't burst things down anywhere near as well. Part may be talents (lets not talk about essences on alts), but I think its also structural.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
Planned changes for next week's reset:
Coalescing Visions now drop in higher numbers from Assaults and Daily Quests.
The Unique(5) inventory cap on Vessel of Horrific Visions has been removed, allowing you to carry as many Vessels as you like.
Up to 4 Torn Pages of “Fear and Flesh” quest items can now drop in Horrific Visions from objectives on the rank 7-11 Legendary cloak upgrade quests (was a max of 2).
You’ll need to clear more than two sides areas in one run to get more than two pages. The rank 13-15 quests will still drop a max of 2 pages, only from Lost Area objectives.
Still four runs to get rank 11 this week, but it's a catch-up if you're behind and yet able to do lost areas.  The increased coalescing vision income and the lifted cap will make it more possible to stock up for the rank 13-15 upgrades, though the post gives no specifics on the first part.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t//449849/1

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2020, 02:27:54 AM »
Now if the Vessel of Horrific Visions stacked it would be great :)
Andius(Ht60), Belandius(Pr50), Dalandius(War50), Drandius(Sh50), Elandius(R50), Vandius(M50), Deandius(DK50), Delandius(Drd50), Jinandius(Pal50), Shandius(Wk50), Kamandius(Mk50), Ishandius(DH50) Liandius(LF Pal(50) Venadius (Mk50), Klandius(Ht35), Diandius(R22) Mechandius (W50)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2020, 02:44:29 PM »
More specifics and additional changes: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/horrific-visions-updates-coming-with-weekly-maintenance/449849/129

* Pages for the final three cloak ranks are decreased from 6/12/18 to 4/6/8, halving the total number of visions those ranks will require from 18 to 9 over those three weeks.

* Dailies will award 325 coalescing visions instead of 250.  (Worth an additional 0.39 vessels per week if you do all available dailies including the Friday evening set.)

* Major assault awards 2500 in addition to the vessel, and the minor assaults go up from 5500 to 6500.  (Worth an additional 0.45 vessels per week if you do all three assaults.)

If you do everything, you'll get 5.44 vessels per week: 2.55 from the assaults, 1.2 from lesser visions, and 1.69 from dailies.  Plus a bit from events/rares/etc..

[ETA: the blue post was supposed to say that dailies award 30% more coalescing visions, not 50%.  I redid the calculations with the actual number.]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:00:27 AM by Marco »

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2020, 06:44:03 AM »
Managed to do a completed clear, still had the Auto-rez and about 50 of a bar of sanity left on Andius my BM hunter, item level 454 (rank 11 cloak). Was relatively easy and considerable easier than Stormwind.
Should do better in Stormwind next week if I can figure out where the portals are in the maze that is the mage district :/
Andius(Ht60), Belandius(Pr50), Dalandius(War50), Drandius(Sh50), Elandius(R50), Vandius(M50), Deandius(DK50), Delandius(Drd50), Jinandius(Pal50), Shandius(Wk50), Kamandius(Mk50), Ishandius(DH50) Liandius(LF Pal(50) Venadius (Mk50), Klandius(Ht35), Diandius(R22) Mechandius (W50)

Glognar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2020, 01:58:42 PM »
Did a clear of Ogrimmar this week with 452 BM hunter and was surprised how easy it was in spite of the terribly efficient run.

After the horrible time I had with Shaw in SW, was expecting much harder. Guess I'll se what SW looks like this week...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:02:17 PM by Glognar »
Alliance: ::
Glognar:  Iron Dwarf Hunter, Garloke: Void Elf Warlock, Gladwin: Kul Tiran Druid, Glane: Human Priest, Glanora -  Lightforged Pally,
Gleeb: Gnome Mage, Glondarr: Iron Dwarf Shaman, Glynda: Mechagnome Rogue, Lichbane: Worgen Death Knight
Horde: ::
Snittzi: Goblin Rogue

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »
I guess it's not easy to make vessels stack, but today's hotfixes include:
* The currency limit for Coalescing Visions has been removed.
Developers’ note: Especially since the removal of the unique cap on Vessels, we’ve seen a lot of feedback about the inventory clutter of multiple Vessels. By removing the cap on Coalescing Visions, players should now feel free to buy Vessels from Wrathion as needed, rather than stockpiling them in bags.
* Cache of the Black Empire will award 12,500 Coalescing Visions instead of a Vessel of Horrific Visions and 2,500 Coalescing Visions.
So we can just hoard the coalescing visions instead, and buy vessels as needed.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2020, 06:58:37 AM »
I guess it's not easy to make vessels stack, but today's hotfixes include:
* The currency limit for Coalescing Visions has been removed.
Developers’ note: Especially since the removal of the unique cap on Vessels, we’ve seen a lot of feedback about the inventory clutter of multiple Vessels. By removing the cap on Coalescing Visions, players should now feel free to buy Vessels from Wrathion as needed, rather than stockpiling them in bags.
* Cache of the Black Empire will award 12,500 Coalescing Visions instead of a Vessel of Horrific Visions and 2,500 Coalescing Visions.
So we can just hoard the coalescing visions instead, and buy vessels as needed.

I love this it is a nice and simple change. With them just removing the cap on coalescing visions there is very little chance that the change could break somethings else which may have happen if they made the vessels stack.
Once all the vessels in my bag are used up I'll be only buy another vessel just before doing a run, less bag lint <3

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2020, 08:01:43 AM »
A blue post on increasing corruption resistance after cloak rank 15: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/malefic-cores-and-catching-up-with-corruption-resistance/462021

It works approximately like I thought.  You can increase corruption resistance by +3 per week, either by doing a full-clear vision (no mask requirement, apparently) or killing the last boss of the raid on normal or higher.

If you get behind, there is a catch-up mechanism, but it's apparently limited to two increments per week, and if the blue post is correct, you'll have to do both activities (two full-clear visions won't suffice).  That's a long road to being at optimal power if you get started late, and a lot of group-finder raids on normal N'Zoth.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2020, 08:10:41 AM »
I five masked Orgrimmar last week and just now finally five masked Stormwind. Nerf DHs etc etc

Poorly formatted notes from experience that might help folks--primarily with the Long Night (50% sanity) or Daredevil (+400% sanity drain from attacks) masks:

Orgrimmar
The primary bosses to be worried about here from a sanity drain perspective are the slime in the Valley of Wisdom--particularly with Lead Feet--and the guy in The Drag with his Void Torrent and Rexxar. I've had mixed luck with avoiding the Drag boss's torrent by standing directly inside of him. I haven't had any luck at fully avoiding a cast by dashing around him--although that usually at least gets me out of a few ticks which is probably a better choice than the all or nothing option of standing perfectly inside his hitbox. You can also reset a cast by Shadowmelding. He won't reset health, but he'll lose his target momentarily and have to restart the cast.

With the health/damage buffs, I don't feel like the "Burst Rexxar down before his boars void quill your entire sanity bar" is super viable. You might be able to with consumables/hero drums/CDs, but any sanity drain attacks getting through on a five mask run is a bad time. He's likely the last boss you have left before Thrall, though, so if you'll have an orb to use afterwards, it might still be viable--especially if your self-rez is still available. The safer strategy is probably to slow play through his first two boars--stopping damage on him and swapping to burst down the boar as soon as each one spawns. He will spawn the last two simultaneously, so if you don't have a long AoE stun, that might be the time to swap to burning him.

Not a lot of tips for the slime in Valley of Wisdom with Lead Feet, other than only move to get out of his spews/sprays.

Gaming the Gift of the Titans internal cooldown can help with these, but your mileage may vary on how easy that is to do.

Shortcuts of note: Swinging around the back of the big building next to the boss in the Valley of Spirits lets you avoid the two Faceless guys before him and potentially pick up a chest or potion or two on the other side of it without having to double back after killing the boss. You can use an invis pot to skip the stuff on the center island next to the AH in Rexxar's area. I usually cut across the water to avoid the bridge stuff too. There is an elite there, but his attacks can be a pain to dodge--especially with lead feet--so I think you're likely to lose more sanity than you'd gain from Elite Extermination. Some people have had luck going out of bounds and hopping across buildings to avoid these, but an invis pot should be easy and cheap.

Stormwind
Bosses to really worry about here are Shaw, Umbric, and the slime in the mage quarter.

I would say the Slime is most dangerous of all, especially with lead feet, because his attacks can hit you multiple times. I've had my sanity go from like 550 to 0 in a single Split Personality disorient with Daredevil. Lead Feet alone is bad enough, since you can't always be moving to avoid his plops and sprays, but Split Personality is KILLER here. Even if you're paying attention to when it's about to happen from the screen effect, you don't really have a choice but to keep moving. I'm not sure how you do this one without gaming Gift of the Titans to make sure it's up when you pull him.

Umbric with Lead Feet is a huge pain in the ass, but I've found that moving until the slow is basically capped and then stopping until it's fully dropped and then going again gets me across the room faster than just trying to plow through the slow. You're going to take Sanity damage here no matter what, because his Arcane Missiles do sanity damage. If you interrupt those, you probably won't have one up for Polymorph, which with Burned Bridge can add up to a lot of sanity damage real quick. Gift of the Titans will help a bit, but it likely won't last through a significant chunk of the fight given the downtime of chasing him across the room.

Shaw is more annoying than really dangerous--the Eye sanity drain shouldn't be too big of a deal unless you're looking at three of them at once. I've found that, when he goes invisible and starts placing ground AoEs, if I run pretty far away, that makes it easier to avoid the eyes since he'll run over to you when he's done. An eye or two might zip over to you, but you shouldn't have all three of them right around you. It can be difficult with Burned Bridge to position him to have him in front of you without damaging the eyes, since you can't just backpedal the way you came. Strafing usually got him into a position I could hit without turning towards eyes.

One other miniboss with Daredevil that might be a surprise problem is the caster in the Trade District. His channel does sanity damage, which is negligible normally but adds up quickly with Daredevil. You can't keep the channel interrupted the entire fight--you're going to take SOME of them. Unless you're close to max sanity already--so the 200 from elite extermination will cap you back out--you may want to wait until Gift is up to engage him. There's plenty of other stuff to kill in the area, so it shouldn't be difficult do to that.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2020, 09:17:36 AM »
With the health/damage buffs, I don't feel like the "Burst Rexxar down before his boars void quill your entire sanity bar" is super viable.

Slow playing Rexxar also has the advantage that if you wait until Gift's ICD is up before pulling, it should proc after killing the first boar, giving you 20 seconds of burn time before things get ugly. From my own (nearly scuffed) 3 mask run, I found that sanity wasn't the huge issue, but mistiming my bubble and eating a crapton of damage from 4 angry boars was. I suppose between Long Night/Daredevil you'd run out of sanity before HP with uncontrolled boars, but its my anecdote to provide.

One issue that I've found on solo runs is that the NPCs with me will pull shit that I've skipped, and I'm not sure if they're just eager beavers with a hard-on for murdering K'Thir, or I've somehow body aggro'd from 100 yards. The two most common instances (from Org, at least) is the Dominator pack in Valley of Wisdom, just before and to the right of the bridge to the fleshbeast (hello surprise 5s stun from 40y away), and one of the big Aqirs (but _not_ elite, so you dont get the sanity return) at the base of the ramp, leading up to Rexxar, but before the big elite there.

For Umbric, I believe that any toy/item that has a health bar will break his channel. For stealth-capable classes, I've seen reports of stealthing in, dropping an auto hammer or Archmage Vargoth on one of his teleport points, and then engaging works. Marco reported (possibly 2nd hand) that golden banana works nicely for non-stealth classes, as it has a huge throw range.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2020, 10:15:56 AM »
Throwable totems are also good for Umbric; I've personally had success with throwing an earthbind totem at the target location.  I'm not sure whether Umbric's teleports are fixed or if he always goes to the furthest location.  If they're fixed, I could head him towards that side, and then use the golden banana for the other teleport.  I will second the opinion that it's better to save interrupts for his polymorph cast.  Burned Bridge sanity damage is not multiplied by Daredevil, but Umbric tends to follow up his polymorph with another arcane missiles cast, so you wind up eating a full set anyway.

For Orgrimmar, note that the calculus of avoiding the elite bug before Rexxar needs to be re-evaluated on each cloak upgrade.  He's always worth +200 sanity, and the cost of fighting it goes down each time you get an insanity resistance bump.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2020, 10:35:23 AM »
For Orgrimmar, note that the calculus of avoiding the elite bug before Rexxar needs to be re-evaluated on each cloak upgrade.  He's always worth +200 sanity, and the cost of fighting it goes down each time you get an insanity resistance bump.

Sure, but if you get hit by too many of his poisons--and I think his cone is instant and unavoidable--you'll wander under a loss of control effect for several seconds, which is going to stack up burned bridge under you and sanity damage from that, plus whatever other sanity damage you might take due to not being able to move to avoid his next attack(s). If it's Split Personality week, you're liable to get hit by a loss of control effect just trying to dodge his stuff anyway, which will then get you more debuff stacks to get closer to that loss of control effect/etc. He can also charge and knock you back, even if you're already in melee range I think, which can either knock you out of bounds or into Split Personality clones.

It's not that it's impossible to come out ahead on him with the 200 sanity gain from killing him, I just think it's incredibly easy to skip him and the risk of things going off the rails is not trivial. When we're at Rank 15 cloaks, sure, it'll be easier to come out ahead, but my experience with my successful five mask runs has been mitigating manageable risk always beats out gambling to get a little ahead on sanity. I don't think that coming out +50 or +100 sanity from that guy is going to make a significant difference on Rexxar. You're likely still going to have to use an orb pre-Rexxar or burn your self-rez no matter what, so why risk it proccing from death/loss of sanity 20 seconds before him?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2020, 03:34:40 PM »
I did five-mask Orgrimmar after upgrading the cloak to rank 14.  I used one orb before the Drag boss, one before Rexxar, and one before Thrall.  I wound up eating full void torrents pretty much every time on the Drag boss; it's especially hard to run in a tight circle around him with molten feet.

The bug boss before Rexxar doesn't seem all that threatening.  His breath is short-cast but eminently avoidable, especially if you're in close.  I don't think he has a headbutt (the non-elite large bug in the trash just before Rexxar does), so you only have to worry about the frontal breath and the spray.

I got 4379 and 3991 mementos for my last two 4-mask runs when I was upgrading the cloak, and only 2300 from the five-mask run.  So clearing more trash and trying to get all of the chests and odd crystals is more lucrative than blitzing through with an additional mask.