Author Topic: Horrific Visions  (Read 386 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Horrific Visions
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 05:16:07 PM »
It looks like it's going to start making sense to bank vessels and coalescing visions at some point, because some cloak upgrades will require multiple visions.  You can bank up to five vessels and 25K coalescing visions.  (So check how many you have before turning in a lesser assault for 5.5K visions.  Greater assaults give you a vessel directly.)

Looking at the wowhead guide, the midrange looks like:

to get to rank 6: one vision (one corrupted area)
7: one vision (both corrupted)
8: one vision (both corrupted)
9: two visions
10: three visions
11: four visions

where you can do one of those per week, starting with this week.  So banking some vessels over the next two weeks (after getting to each week's cap) may help with the subsequent weeks.  It looks like you can potentially reduce the number of runs by clearing some lost areas and getting lucky.

The high end requirements aren't fully known.  It looks like rank 12 may require just one lost area, but subsequent upgrades may require a substantial number of visions (6, 12, and 18 pages respectively).  It might be possible to speed these up by running with masks enabled.

This evening I did an end-of-week run to get to cloak rank 6, in a group of four people with rank 5.  Since we knew we would be guaranteed the upgrade after one corrupted area, we decided to be adventurous and try our first lost area.  My plan had been to run the drag (near-east) and then swing north to the valley of wisdom.  It turns out that you can't approach the valley of wisdom from the east, so we had to run back around and get there from the southwest.  The madness effect in this lost area (Split Personality) has a substantial learning curve.  You have to notice the edges of your screen turn purple, and then watch for a ring of black patches appear with one gap.  It doesn't close in, but it's very easy to run into the ring if you aren't ready, or if something else is forcing you to move.  The objective of this area seemed to be to kill small bosses in the west and east, then kill a bigger boss back where you came in.  We wound up losing one person on the big boss and having to use a revival afterwards, leaving us just barely enough sanity to kill Thrall for some extra mementos.

Glognar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »
So I went to do a corrupted area. Killed a few things and got to the zone but there was a 'flaming' barrier. I gave up and killed the boss but of course wasted a vessel.

Tried to walk through and it stopped me. Just looked at a video and it looks like they pushed on barrier and eventually got through.

Am I missing something?

Alliance: 120: Glognar - Iron Dwarf Hunter / Garloke - Void Elf Warlock / Gladwin - Kul Tiran Druid / Glane - Human Shadow Priest / Glondarr - Iron Dwarf Shaman
Horde: 120: Snittzi - Goblin Rogue

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 08:39:03 PM »
You should be able to right click on it to dispel it, although I'm not sure if on your first one or two it prevents you from doing that, since you're not likely to be able to complete a side area and kill Thrall on your first go without the Sanity restoration extra action button

Glognar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 08:50:08 PM »
Well damn. I've got a Rank 5 cloak. Was trying to clear a corrupt area for my next quest.
Alliance: 120: Glognar - Iron Dwarf Hunter / Garloke - Void Elf Warlock / Gladwin - Kul Tiran Druid / Glane - Human Shadow Priest / Glondarr - Iron Dwarf Shaman
Horde: 120: Snittzi - Goblin Rogue

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 06:46:13 AM »
The Stormwind Horrific Vision seems to be--from my small sample size of friends--pretty universally despised compared to the Orgrimmar version last week.

Some of that might be the Madness effects. This week the two easier side areas have a thing that will catapult you several yards forward and leave a giant flame pool behind you if you move when the debuff is up. I'm not sure that you can wait out the debuff and avoid dropping the pool/getting flung. I tried to hold off for several seconds when I noticed it, but it's very difficult not to move for an extended period of time in the visions. Unlike the shadow chasing you in Orgrimmar, this gets significantly worse in a group setting, as the flame pools are visible to everyone and can damage everyone. So, if there are five of you in there, that's five times the giant flame puddles to avoid. The fling is a pretty significant distance too, so you're fairly likely to get flung into another pack--and every miniboss in this vision has some pretty significant "move out of shit" requirements.

The Dwarven district bonus area requires you to go around and plant bombs and then kill a mini boss. The distance traveled is probably pretty similar to the previous two areas, although it feels like there's a bit more trash to kill. There's not a lot you can skip, so getting flung into another pack by the madness isn't great but isn't a huge time waste as long as it doesn't prevent you from using an orb before you run out of sanity.

The Trade district felt like a HUGE time sink to me. You have to clear basically everything in the area and do a lot of back tracking. The first two objectives are to kill one mini boss and then another, both of which are at the far end of the area. After that's done, you have to go around and unlock eight cages. They seem to spawn in consistent areas, but it's still some extra running and mild backtracking, further compounded by getting flung around every five seconds. The burrowing tentacles in here, at least as a group, seemed buggy as hell and would constantly burrow even with someone in melee range, eating up even more time.

Alleria is arguably less threatening, but takes way more time, than Thrall. Since she's ranged, she does not like to move unless you get out of line of sight. This is problematic due to the Dwarven District giving her bombs that leave giant fire puddles on the ground. You can kick these bombs away if you right click on them when they spawn, but there's not a lot of time to do it. The Trade District mechanic she gets is a long silence and slow drag towards her that does something bad if you run into her. That one isn't too dangerous, but it's--again--another 8-10 seconds you can't damage her. Her inherent ability is a long cast AoE spell that does a ton of damage and wipes out a huge amount of sanity, which you have to line of sight behind the columns. You can do a little bit of damage while it's casting, since it's such a long cast, but that's yet another span of time you can't really DPS her.

She also intermittently shoots a barrage of arrows up in the sky that telegraph swirls on the ground you have to avoid. There's a lot of them and not a lot of time to react, but there's usually some gaps to quickly side step into. This is also compounded by the fact that madness for the main area puts a dark spot on the ground you're supposed to stand in to gain a damage buff, otherwise you do 10% less damage.

If you struggled to DPS down Thrall last week in a Sanity bar, I imagine Alleria will be a bigger problem this week just due to all the interrupted DPS time compare to having to just side stepping Thrall's abilities. I didn't find her really threatening from a survival-perspective compared to Thrall, it just takes what feels like a long time to kill her because of the mechanics.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 06:52:05 AM »
Outside of all the madness/mechanical differences, some of the mobs make this week feel shittier than last week. You have the same kind of channeled AoE damage, cast-time AoE stun/shockwave type mobs as last week, but there are a few mobs sprinkled in the main area with a channeled non-interruptable ability that makes them take 75% less damage and reflect a pretty significant amount of damage (15k?) back every time they're hit. The only way to interrupt this is a Stun or a push/pull ability like Death Grip that interrupts casts via movement. There doesn't seem to be an internal CD on the damage reflect, and it did a pretty hefty chunk of damage to our rogue before we noticed what was going on.

If there's only one in a pack, it's not too bad. There is a pair that guards the route to the trade district, and another one nearby. I was able to handle three at once on Pira with Strangle, Death Grip, and Ghoul stun, but that's obviously an outlier. If you don't have any stuns, you kind of just have to wait for them to finish the channel, which I think was like ten seconds. That's obviously Not Ideal.

Madnesses are supposed to change weekly, so it's possible that when the Stormwind comes back around in two weeks (assuming the visions alternate week to week), it may not feel like such a slog, but a lot of the actual mechanics feel pretty shitty compared to Orgrimmar.

If you were able to get five visions in last week and only need to do one (two bonus areas in one run) this week, you'll probably be thankful to not have to go in multiple times. It might be wise to stockpile visions/currency this week if you're not confident about clearing this or you struggled in Orgrimmar, since you can stockpile five of the actual Vision items and 2.5 visions worth of currency.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 06:56:38 AM »
Also worth noting: If you are on the sixth upgrade quest where you need two items, you only need to clear two side areas. You do not have to kill Alleria in the main area. So in that case, it's better to clear the two side areas and "fail" the main area by running out of sanity than to make a run to Alleria if you don't think you'll have enough sanity to clear the two areas and kill her too.

This concludes my Horrific Vision TED Talk.

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 07:56:10 AM »
So, Stormwind is super stealthable. 

I did two runs last night on Ghoselle and one on Duskyrose.  On the first run I hit a bug where I couldn't get in to Dwarven district -- it just wouldn't let me in, which was frustrating because I was at the "get 2 things from side areas" with my cloak.  So I ended up doing the bank area and Alleria.  I cleared maybe half the mobs in the bank area on my first run.   On my second run I was not good about controlling where I was knocked back and ended up pulling most of the bank area.  I was experimenting also with doing this solo as cat rather than bear, and honestly, cat felt way dicier -- my health was a concern in a bunch of the fights, and on the 2nd run I ended up actually dying when a knockback threw me across multiple packs, though that was partially my own fault for having stealthed past them and not having a safe area to fight.

On Dusky, I just needed to kill Alleria, so I did.  It was pretty quick and smooth.  Maybe it was having a pet, but the dps time interruption was pretty minimal.  So I suspect 2-man'ing her with a melee & ranged will mean the ranged gets full dps time.  The one mechanic is melee range only; the other is super long cast time, so you can dps during most of it if you are well positioned.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 03:37:32 PM »
Since the dailies started awarding more coalescing visions and the cloak upgrade quests slow way down after the first week, it's a lot easier to hit the 25K coalescing vision cap by accident.  I ran across a weakaura to warn you when you hit 20K so you know to go buy a vessel.

https://wago.io/WJvmWqWWB

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 08:28:46 PM »
Today's hotfix notes had this interesting bit:
Further reduced the health of enemies in Horrific Visions for players who enter the instance as a solo healer or tank specialization; healers will face enemies with 42% less health and tanks will fight enemies with 25% reduced health.
Developers' note: We'd like players to be able to upgrade their legendary cloak without feeling like they have to change specialization. The difficulty of Horrific Visions adjusts dynamically based on party composition, but they're still a bit rough for solo healers and tanks, so we're making some tweaks to help those players out.
I have some questions about the developer's note--does a party of five with a tank and healer face different scaling than a party of five DPS?  What happens if you change specializations inside a vision?  But the change at face value seems good.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 06:17:50 AM »
Aside from the obvious value of upgrading the cloak through tree "talents" what is the purpose of running more higher level visions? The incremental change on the cloak itself seems small but maybe that's because I'm consistently getting good upgrades from emissary quests and raid boss drops?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2020, 06:51:52 AM »
You get several things from upgrading the cloak:

* At rank 6 you get an on-use ability that lets you cancel corruption effects with a 3m cooldown.  This is intended as counterplay when, say, an eye spawns on you during a must-stack mechanic in a boss fight.

* At rank 12 you get a strong main-stat proc.

* You get steadily increasing corruption resistance, typically +8 every two cloak levels.  At rank 15 the cloak has 50 corruption resistance, and it continues to increase slowly beyond that.  This lets you wear more corrupted gear without the ill effects.

* Least importantly, you get slowly increasing stats, as with your neck.

The other aspects of the cloak (insanity resistance and titanic research) just feed back into horrific visions.  There is an insanity mechanic in the last two bosses of Nyalotha, but the cloak's insanity resistance doesn't affect that.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2020, 07:04:19 AM »
Aside from the obvious value of upgrading the cloak through tree "talents" what is the purpose of running more higher level visions?

You can theoretically get near-mythic quality (470) gear if you can complete a full vision w/5 masks, and heroic quality (460) from a full vision w/3 masks. I am explicitly not offering an opinion on the value proposition of this manner of gear acquisition.

Memento income also scales with how much a vision you can do, which will be interesting once you complete the entire research tree, and are in the position to start buying sockets/vanity items.

ETA: rank 3 essence bits also come from completing lost/corrupted areas, there's that as well.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:07:03 AM by jsoh »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »
This post and its comments go over secrets in horrific visions: https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveWoW/comments/f0cewz/hidden_bufflocations_in_visions/

The bit about potion colors is interesting--the potion colors are shuffled each run, but you can find out which color is bad (sanity decrease) by looking in a specific location in the tainted (starting) zone.

So far I've mostly been skipping these, but some of them are probably worthwhile to get, if it means getting through the lost zones faster.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 06:42:15 AM »
The bit about potion colors is interesting--the potion colors are shuffled each run, but you can find out which color is bad (sanity decrease) by looking in a specific location in the tainted (starting) zone.
A wowhead article points out two related tidbits:

* Once you find out the bad potion color, the color of the +100 sanity potion can be known via a simple mapping (black -> green -> red -> blue -> purple -> black).
* HandyNotes has a plugin mod with horrific visions locations; the above mapping is displayed (in longer form) as a note on the position of the bad potion.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=311190/what-do-the-potions-do-in-horrific-visions-determining-the-bad-and-good-potions-