Author Topic: 8.3.x stuff  (Read 2608 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: 8.3.x stuff
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 08:18:29 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM34-c9fWQ4

This week's Reset spends a lot of time on the new systems of 8.3 which, despite the "for dummies" explainer, I find really confusing. What I get from this is "blizzard are testing out a bunch of things that are likely to be in Shadowlands so it's kind of a massive beta test with time for them to fix things that really don't work before the next big expansion" and "the raid isn't coming with 8.3 and likely not for several weeks afterward because these systems are needed to build up your cloak for that raid".

Also the big AH mount is going away so I need to stop farting around with alts and farm gold. Oy.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 09:28:23 AM »
The big AH mount will actually move (in 9.0) from the vendor to the black market auction house.

A lot of people (including Taliesin) have been assuming that this will effectively up the price from 5 million gold to the gold cap (currently 10 million gold minus epsilon), but that's not clear to me.  It depends a lot on the minimum price (which Blizzard hasn't stated, but 5 million gold is a reasonable assumption to avoid buyer's remorse for those who bought it from the vendor) and how frequently it goes up on the BMAH.  If Shadowlands doesn't have a lot of gold inflation, there just won't be a lot of prospective customers.

I don't personally expect the raid to be delayed much after the release of 8.3.  A week is generally the minimum to sort out problems with the patch, but I don't see why they would delay it more than that.  Taliesin's reasoning is that we need time to buff up the cloak to make it powerful enough to run the raid, but that's not how power creep mechanics work in WoW--they are there to make the raid progressively easier from week to week, not as a gating mechanic for getting into the raid.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 09:38:02 PM »
8.3 will bring a return of the "kill your own faction in world PvP" mechanics we've seen twice in past expansions.  I'm mentioning it here primarily because while you're doing it, you turn void-black with tentacles, which looks pretty cool.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=299850/nlyeth-sliver-of-nzoth-kill-your-own-faction-for-nzoth-toy-and-title

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 07:21:26 PM »
the new systems of 8.3 which, despite the "for dummies" explainer, I find really confusing

I was delighted by this week's Reset in which Evitel snarks about how simple the system is because it only took "ten minutes and a flowchart" to explain.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 05:54:39 AM »
8.3 will bring a return of the "kill your own faction in world PvP" mechanics we've seen twice in past expansions.  I'm mentioning it here primarily because while you're doing it, you turn void-black with tentacles, which looks pretty cool.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=299850/nlyeth-sliver-of-nzoth-kill-your-own-faction-for-nzoth-toy-and-title

I am hoping that in order to be a target for your own faction that you will have to have warmode turned on.
Andius(Ht60), Belandius(Pr50), Dalandius(War50), Drandius(Sh50), Elandius(R50), Vandius(M50), Deandius(DK50), Delandius(Drd50), Jinandius(Pal50), Shandius(Wk50), Kamandius(Mk50), Ishandius(DH50) Liandius(LF Pal(50) Venadius (Mk50), Klandius(Ht35), Diandius(R22) Mechandius (W50)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »
8.3 releases January 14, with the normal/heroic raid on January 21.  https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23237904/battle-for-azeroth-visions-of-n-zoth-goes-live-january-14

I am hoping that in order to be a target for your own faction that you will have to have warmode turned on.
From the wowhead description and tooltips, you can't have the quest without being in war mode, so you wouldn't be able to see or attack players who aren't in war mode (hypothetical hilarious bugs aside).

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 05:19:41 PM »

That is how it is currently on the PTR (according to T&E) and there's no reason to expect that to change on live... modulo hilarious bugs, of course.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 10:54:23 AM »
Oh shit.  Time to start playing again.  (This actually lines up nicely.  We should be done being crazy at work, and I've gotten caught up on a lot of other games)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
Miscellaneous notes about 8.3 systems:

* The item that adds sockets to your gear only works on new gear, and not on the first five gear slots.  That leaves 11 slots (10 if using a two-hander) which can be guaranteed a socket with enough effort.

* Corruption resistance from the cloak goes up to 50 at max level, and can be increased slowly after that according to the blue post in November.  You can also get 10 from each of the three new essences for your role, although it's unlikely that all three of them will be among anyone's top four essence choices.  [ETA: it's possible that the essence bonus doesn't stack, making it just 10 from using one of them.]

* There are about two dozen different corruption bonuses, with costs ranging from 10 to 75.  The right way to compare these is by benefit per point of corruption cost; hopefully bloodmallet or a similar resource will have that ready for damage by the time people are having to make decisions.  As a tank I am interested in the bonuses that proc a percentage of your max health as damage to nearby mobs, but unless those turn out to be very good I suspect I will end up just stacking haste bonuses.

* wowhead made a guide to horrific visions.  In addition to being the only way to upgrade the cloak, it looks like a solo path to a high gear level, possibly only five item levels below mythic raid drops--though getting to that point will will probably take quite a while.  The overall structure feels off-kilter to me, and I wonder if there is a limit-and-catch-up mechanism that isn't currently visible on the PTR.  As things stand it seems like optimal progression requires doing three successful horrific visions per week.  While that won't necessarily require a lot of play time compared to grinding lots of AP, it seems kind of high-stakes compared to past endgame reward systems.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=303969/8-3-gouged-eye-of-nzoth-adding-sockets-to-your-gear-details-and-restrictions
https://ptr.wowhead.com/guides/horrific-visions-of-nzoth-overview-objectives-sanity-masks
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:46:53 PM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 08:43:14 AM »
wowhead put out a guide to the N'Zoth Assaults, aka the thing you need to do in order to do Horrific Visions.  The takeaways for me were:

* The raid entrance will alternate each week between being in Uldum and being in the Vale.  That zone has the major assault going on; the other zone has the two minor assaults instead.
* Fly close to the ground in these zones or annoying slowing effects will happen.
* Do the major assault any time during the week to get access to one horrific vision.
* Do the two minor assaults (one during the first half of the week, one during the second half) to get access to a second horrific vision.
* Do mini-visions once per day (via a portal in the zone with the major assault) to get most of what you need for a third horrific vision.
* Mounts and pets.

https://ptr.wowhead.com/guides/visions-of-nzoth-assaults

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 02:34:50 PM »
Leftover titan residuum will be converted to silver when 8.3 goes live (in one week).  In the two previous patches it was retained but devalued by a large ratio (10:1, then 30:1), but even with heavy devaluation high-end players were going to a lot of effort to stockpile it.  So this time around you can't keep it.  Income and costs will be brought down to around what they were initially since there is no longer a need for inflation.

At one silver per residuum it won't be worth much gold, so spend it while you can if there's anything you could benefit from.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/titan-residuum-in-season-4/387491/1

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 08:21:51 PM »
Lots of specific numbers and dates here: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/what-to-expect-in-visions-of-n%E2%80%99zoth-and-season-4/405981

Of note, the Darkshore warfront will have a heroic mode awarding ilvl 460 loot (heroic raid level), whenever it comes up in the cycle after Jan 21.  (If it's already going for us on Jan 21, we'll have to wait for the next cycle after that, if I read the post correctly.)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 10:33:42 AM »
https://www.wowhead.com/news=305230/artifact-power-in-patch-8-3-visions-of-nzoth-6-free-weeks-of-artifact-knowledge

The chart at the bottom is particularly interesting in terms of the heavy nerfing of AP requirements post 8.3, even below level 70.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 10:47:46 AM »
From a friend:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b9gw_okKtyRZgW_dG1HNYr3EjpI_Oqcy8CDxP3Wu7Kk/preview#

Handy one-stop list of all the new content in 8.3

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 12:43:47 PM »
The Ah change

Filters - There have been a couple of very useful additions to the filters you can search for.
  • Uncollected Only - This will help search for any transmog, recipes or pets you have not collected yet. Really handy for if you are looking to collect All the Things!
  • Upgrades Only - This is a very simple yet powerful addition allowing you to buy armor and weapon upgrades for your character on the AH. This does not currently work for bags

I assume the Upgrades Only is going to be just item level rather than the more useful is the item an actual upgrade based on the stat/class/spec etc?
Andius(Ht60), Belandius(Pr50), Dalandius(War50), Drandius(Sh50), Elandius(R50), Vandius(M50), Deandius(DK50), Delandius(Drd50), Jinandius(Pal50), Shandius(Wk50), Kamandius(Mk50), Ishandius(DH50) Liandius(LF Pal(50) Venadius (Mk50), Klandius(Ht35), Diandius(R22) Mechandius (W50)