Author Topic: Tools of the Trade (8.1.5)  (Read 173 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Tools of the Trade (8.1.5)
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:07:01 AM »
Patch 8.1.5 added quests for each of the crafting professions to produce an epic item.  So far the quest lines aren't too long and just involve killing some stuff in the open world, but the quest line ends with a recipe for the epic item, not the item itself.  To make the item, you have to farm some item-specific BOP materials, often found only in dungeons.  My experiences so far:

* Enchanting (Iwen's Enchanting Rod): I picked this one up early because it passively grants additional materials when disenchanting stuff.  (The active effect, where you can spend a veiled crystal to animate a golem, seems pointless.)  You need three materials for this: a 100% drop from the last boss of Waycrest, a high-probability drop from elites in Drustvar, and 50 Lingering Drust Essence.  The fastest way to get the essence is to find the three elite witches in the Crimson Forest which are part of one of the quests there, and kill them repeatedly.

I had saved up some greens and purples to disenchant and it seemed like I was getting noticeably more dust and shards (no extra crystals, but people report getting some).

* Alchemy (Silas' Sphere of Transmutation): I had to run four different dungeons to get the drops for this, but there was no open-world farming.  The additional materials are substantial (50 anchorweed, a cauldron, and 10 expulsom) but the benefits seem too good to pass up.  Once per hour you can turn it into a random choice of four items, and one of the choices grants a buff increasing your proc chance for extra potions and flasks.  More importantly, if you have it (in any form) you can loot Boiling Cauldrons in various places in the world.  Cauldrons currently respawn every six minutes and contain a random potion or flask; people report you can occasionally even get a cauldron.

The tailoring item is supposed to be good, so I will probably make that one.  I am considering picking up the jewelcrafting one since it lets you get a bunch of daily gems, but gems are already pretty cheap and I don't need them often.  The engineering item looks fun and my main is an engineer, so I will probably get that one as well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:25:19 AM by Marco »

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Tools of the Trade (8.1.5)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 07:00:06 AM »
Thanks Marco!

What level of difficulty are the dungeons you have to run at the end?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 07:15:18 AM »
Normal, heroic, or mythic work.  Mythic+ does not.  I queued for heroics.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 05:35:56 PM »
I've done the Engineering one and it's kind of a big disappointment. it's a multitool of sorts, with no passive bonuses (like the gnomish army knife) nor with any built-in selectors like a Blingtron. You can make one-at-a-time foos to make it do a thing like bomb or turret. Online comment seems to be "man this sucks" but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Like Marco I got the dungeon foos by queueing for specific heroics.

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 09:04:15 PM »
As a heads up for leatherworkers, the item you need to farm 15 of has a unique timer on it.  Specifically, for every 15 minute timeblock, only one will drop with a 100% drop rate from the first rare you kill.  This resets on the hour, and every 15 minutes thereafter.  So if you log in at 7:12, you can kill one and get a spirit, and once it turns 7:15 game time, kill another and get a 2nd one.  It does mean you can get at most 4 per hour, and do so by logging in twice per hour, 30 minutes apart.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 06:13:58 AM »
As a heads up for leatherworkers, the item you need to farm 15 of has a unique timer on it.  Specifically, for every 15 minute timeblock, only one will drop with a 100% drop rate from the first rare you kill.  This resets on the hour, and every 15 minutes thereafter.  So if you log in at 7:12, you can kill one and get a spirit, and once it turns 7:15 game time, kill another and get a 2nd one.  It does mean you can get at most 4 per hour, and do so by logging in twice per hour, 30 minutes apart.

That is a very poor idea, just makes me not want to bother doing it.
Andius(Ht 120), Belandius(Pr 120), Dalandius(War 113), Drandius(Sh 120), Elandius(R 120), Vandius(M 111), Deandius(DK 113), Delandius(Drd 120), Jinandius(P 114), Shandius(Wk120), Kamandius(Mk 115), Ishandius(DH 120) Liandius(LF Pr (85) Venadius (Mk 42), Klandius(Ht 20), Diandius(R 20)

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 07:35:44 AM »
One of the elites is in boralus bay.  I just left Ghos parked there for a couple days, and got some each day.

Its more annoying that its gated this way and you have no way to know.  If you just flew around farming rares, it'd just feel like a low drop rate.  I actually much prefer this to a 5% drop rate.