Author Topic: 8.2.x Stuff  (Read 1356 times)

Fernia

• Cupcakes Member
Re: 8.2.x Stuff
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »
They heard my whining and took action!

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »
Also in those hotfix notes, for anyone who tried the jellyfish jumping world quest:
Queen Azshara is amused by adventurers' efforts facing her prized jellyfish during "Jumping Jellies" and has graciously cast a taming ward, making them easier to traverse.
We'll see what that means the next time it comes up.  (I completed it in the original incarnation, but it took dozens of tries.  I finally figured out that you had some air control via rotation, and that turning on RP walk made it a bit easier not to overshoot the next jelly.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23036677
What I heard in zone chat is that they hotfixed it to allow you to change your facing in the air. The suggestion, from chat, that made it trivial is jump to the first dark purple jellyfish and do a 180 as you are going up. The result is that you will be facing and floating to the target. Worked first time for me.
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2019, 05:03:30 AM »
My experience so far (I was away on vacation so I'm just getting honored now, grind grind) is that Nazjatar is like the worst elements of Suramar and Argus combined. I imagine once I can fly it will be much better, but right now it's full of powerful hostile mobs in all directions, lots of dead ends you can easily get trapped in, multiple levels and buildings/caves/alcoves that makes finding the target NPC hell, quests that tell you to find a foo when foos spawn in any of two dozen random widely scattered locations and all the other players are picking up foos so you have to race everyone else for them. And bonus random places of dropping to your death and good frelling luck getting your corpse back, kiddo. I have no idea how anyone without raid gear or an aggro-tanking pet gets through this.

There are quests scattered about willy-nilly with no coherence or story thread to guide you to or among them, and I so very much want to go back to my garrison and get the goddamn follower-shrinker because the NPC stands on FRELLING EVERYTHING. I picked the ranged dude first on the theory he'd stand back but BWAHAHAHA no. I actually tried to count the number of times I accidentally clicked him rather than the target that he was standing on/near and gave up when it got to over 100. I also want a "mute" button for him. He's got like three lines of generic dialog and repeats them over and over and over.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2019, 10:39:42 AM »
Tomorrow is the Darkmoon Faire.  In addition to the +10% one-hour rep bonus from riding the merry-go-round, you can do profession quests for five free skill points.

At Rustbolt revered you can buy a red punchcard (Cyclotronic Blast) for the Pocket-Sized Computation Device which makes it one of the best single-target DPS trinkets.  It has weird mechanics which take some getting used to: it's on-use with a two-minute cooldown, it doesn't have a shared cooldown with other on-use trinkets, it has a cast time and a channel time, and you can move around and attack during the channel as long as you don't use a channeled spell of your own (like Eye Beam).  [ETA: this has been hotifxed so that using any ability interrupts the channel, and it now shares cooldowns with other on-use trinkets.]

Some Benthic gear can be very good when fully upgraded to 425, if it has a raid-applicable bonus and especially if it's socketed.  Base Benthic tokens cost only five manapearls and are account-bound, so you can use alts to get lots of tries at good base pieces on your main.  Here's a reddit comment with some details: https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveWoW/comments/c9ik46/bis_benthic_gear/esyq0yj/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:33:40 PM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »
I wasn't really expecting a bump in world quest rewards for season 3, but there appears to be one.  I'm seeing 380-390 loot from world quests, 400 from dungeon world quests, and a 415 Azerite piece from today's emissary.

A Nazjatar world boss is up with 415 loot (same as Palace normal).

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2019, 10:18:29 PM »
For those buying stuff from Mrrl, there is now https://mrrl.io to help.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 10:47:53 AM »
Thanks, I think.  I hadn't realized this was a thing.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
The last few days have seen a slew of emissary quests that award gear. Yay, I need upgrades! Boo, I have _no_ idea how they figure out what ilvl gear to award. Dee, whose average ilvl was about 406 saw consistent 415 rewards. Snique, with an average ilvl of 403 saw one 415 and two 410 off the same three emissary quests. Shurten, at 398, saw 3x 410.

I got nothin'.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »
In further 8.2 gear news:

The weekly from the Tortollan in Boralus is timewalking again and it's offering a random 415 gear piece as reward. The item I got from my mythic weekly chest had +97 fire resist on it. I thought that sort of thing didn't exist anymore, or is this just more Blizzard trolling us?

ETA: Snique also got gloves offering 3% shadow damage reduction.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:53:07 PM by Snique »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2019, 05:32:47 AM »
This is probably obvious to people who play (especially raid) regularly but as a casual I was embarrassed to find this out last night:

Changes made as well as reallocation of secondary abilities on current-tier gear mean that for some DPS classes your stat priorities have significantly changed and even some previously disfavored talent choices are now superior.  As always, changes in secondary stats can mean that lower-ilvl gear and trinkets can be better for your class/spec than higher-level items.

Time to re-gem and re-enchant, like, everything...

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
Transmog is free from today until September 4 (due to Trial of Style).

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2019, 08:44:03 PM »
The splash screen on the 8.2.5 PTR was recently updated to advertise "the thrilling conclusion to the War Campaign", and two large encrypted cinematics have been added.  Although encrypted cinematics aren't new, I think this is the first time that a quest-based storyline hasn't been made visible on the PTR before it goes live.  (Assuming it stays that way.  There's no announced release date, but tweets like this one suggest that keeping the story under wraps is an explicit goal.)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »
8.2.5 introduces a "party sync" feature which allows people of very different levels to quest with each other, including the ability to replay quests and get current-level rewards.  (Coincidentally, this is kind of similar to a new feature in Borderlands 3.)  Details here:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23151436

The end of the article says "Party Sync will become available when the upcoming 8.2.5 content update goes live in the next few months." but I'm guessing that was written weeks ago.  There's been a series of feature previews over the past week (like this one about updated worgen and goblin models); I suspect that will ramp up to a developer interview this coming week and a patch release on September 23.  [ETA: that text was changed to say "in the next few weeks".]

(I guess I haven't posted much about 8.2.5.  It's not a huge patch.  In addition to the updated models, party sync, and the war campaign finale, there is an alliance-only grind to get a bee mount, a Firelands timewalking raid, the return of Recruit-a-Friend, and a November anniversary event where you can fight nine old raid bosses and get a Deathwing-ish mount.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:37:19 AM by Marco »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2019, 05:20:20 AM »
Interesting. The first place I encountered that kind of character-level scaling was the old City of Heroes MMO which called it a "sidekick" mechanic. You could sidekick up to play with higher-level friends or you could sidekick down to help out lower levels. IIRC it only worked on some content but it was a good mechanic and I'm sorry more games haven't had it.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2019, 07:14:51 AM »
I think FF XIV is the major other game with that feature at the moment--although my memory's a bit fuzzy about its details. It may have just been a "lower level instance" kind of thing for a lot of folks. I suspect the downleveling removing abilities/traits/talents/whatever is going to make some people grumpy, especially since that's a different rule set than timewalking. In most cases, though, since the minimum it drops you down to is 60, I can't imagine it's going to remove many critical things.