Author Topic: World of Warcraft Classic  (Read 2239 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: World of Warcraft Classic
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
Blizzard did a press event for classic.  wowhead has a roundup here.  I don't plan to watch the interviews, but from the summary I noticed:

* Retail and Classic can not be used at the same time by the same account.

I think this is the wrong decision--retail and classic are different games, and I can play WoW and Overwatch at the same time.  There may be a technical reason which isn't easy to change.

* The old mount system (Cheap training, expensive mounts) will be in Classic the whole time, it won't change to the updated system from 1.12.1.

Interesting mostly because it means 1.12 isn't synonymous with 1.12.2.  (I believe everything else in 1.12.1 and 1.12.2 is bugfixes.)

* Conversations have already started about Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King servers, as long as there is a demand in the community.

* Servers will have new names, to not create confusion from retail.

Probably the right decision, but it may make it harder for people who played together in vanilla to find each other.

* There will be at least one RP server in Classic.

* Content beyond Phase 6 (Naxx) is a possibility, "anything is on the table. This (Classic) is a love letter to our fans.". Blizzard isn't planning on it right now, but if the community wants it, they can talk about that.

I think adding raids beyond Naxx would count as fouling the waters, so I'm guessing that the person being interviewed was simply talking about BC and Wrath servers.

Also, a while ago Blizzard revealed that they have developed a restricted form of sharding called "layering" which will be used to handle the initial overload at classic launch.  Layering will separate populations of players within a server like sharding does, but without some of the weird phasing we can see in retail (particularly at zone boundaries).  wowhead has an article about layering here.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:27:16 AM by Marco »

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 10:53:48 AM »
Blizzard did a press event for classic.  wowhead has a roundup here.  I don't plan to watch the interviews, but from the summary I noticed:

* Retail and Classic can not be used at the same time by the same account.

I think this is the wrong decision--retail and classic are different games, and I can play WoW and Overwatch at the same time.  There may be a technical reason which isn't easy to change.

Classic is just a different server with a different game mode and rules not a different game and you pay to play one character at a time.
If you paid extra for access to classic I could see you being able to play both at the same time. If you want to play both at the same time get another account :)
Andius(Ht 120), Belandius(Pr 120), Dalandius(War 113), Drandius(Sh 120), Elandius(R 120), Vandius(M 112), Deandius(DK 113), Delandius(Drd 120), Jinandius(P 118), Shandius(Wk120), Kamandius(Mk 119), Ishandius(DH 120) Liandius(LF Pr (93) Venadius (Mk 71), Klandius(Ht 28), Diandius(R 24)

Glognar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »
Played a little last night with my new hunter!

Having a quiver with arrows sure brought back memories!

Glog
Alliance: 120: Glognar - Iron Dwarf Hunter / Garloke - Void Elf Warlock / Gladwin - Kul Tiran Druid / Glane - Human Shadow Priest / Glondarr - Iron Dwarf Shaman
Horde: 120: Snittzi - Goblin Rogue

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2019, 11:54:05 AM »
* There will be at least one RP server in Classic.

Out of curiosity, did they mention whether Blizzard would be enforcing RP guidelines the way they did back in vanilla Wow? Would someone with a name like Hrneeduud be forced to change it?

On a side note: Will it be just as hard to find Mankirk's wife?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 06:47:59 AM »
I find some humor in the "This is how it is/was and not a bug" blue post

As we’ve discussed before, the nature of WoW Classic sometimes invokes different memories for different players, and this leads to certain misconceptions for some about what is or isn’t working as intended.

The following is a list of commonly-reported gameplay in WoW Classic that is not actually a bug, and is working as we expect it to:

Tauren’s hitboxes and their melee reach is slightly larger than other races.
    Being critically struck while using /sit to sit does not cause abilities like Enrage, Blood Craze, and Reckoning to activate.
    Using the “Automatic Quest Tracking” option does not auto-track newly accepted quests. (It instead will start to track an existing quest once progress towards an objective is started.)
    Warrior health Regeneration is working at the expected rate.
    Quests objectives and points of interests are not tracked on the map or minimap.
    Completed quests are marked on the minimap with a dot. (and not a “?”)
    Feared players and NPCs run fast.
    Standing on top of other players while facing away allows spells and attacks to be used.
    Creature respawn rates are much slower than in Battle for Azeroth.
    NPCs which offer multiple quests may inconsistently display them as a dot or a “!” on the available quests list. They were inconsistent in 1.12, and we’ve reproduced the exact inconsistency they had back then.
    Quests that are too low level for do not show up as a “!” in the game world.
    Available quests do not display a “!” on the minimap.
    On level up, the message: “Your skill in Protection increased to 15” was added in 1.12.1, and we’re intending to keep that.

We appreciate all of your feedback!

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 08:01:53 AM »
Most of those are "people don't remember or didn't experience how much weird stuff in classic has been smoothed out", but there are some interesting other categories of bugs.

From the department of "private servers define my intuition of what classic is", a lot of people have been watching streamers having an easy time in low-level dungeons and concluding that damage from elites must be too low.  People who have done actual research (using archival footage of classic) have concluded that the damage is fine.  Cree and I once went into Deadmines as a warrior/paladin duo at level 20 and either finished or got almost to the end; the idea that classic is hardmode is overblown.

From the department of "really tiny things define my sense of immersion", there are people advocating for the return of moonwalking.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 08:14:04 AM »
The internet was a much simpler place a decade ago.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 09:32:37 AM »
woof, I forgot how NOT nostalgic I am for things like skill points.
o/\o

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 05:34:20 AM »
woof, I forgot how NOT nostalgic I am for things like skill points.

I actually liked skill points, as a concept. There are lots of games that implement skill point-based or -like systems well, and you can use the points to change the focus or style of your character. Unfortunately WoW made skill trees too big and too unbalanced so there was always a "right" solution and people who didn't pick those choices were harming others, particularly when the group was struggling.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 06:01:43 AM »
Oooooh. I won a new 2H axe. Big upgrade!

... except for the fact that I have no skill in 2H axe. Can we pause the raid while I go beat on shit for an hour?

Fernia

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 06:13:34 AM »
I always thought Ultima Online had the most wonderfully flawed system:  you gained skill points by doing things.  Of course, they didn't want people to max everything on a single character, so they made a maximum total skill.  So, if you hit the maximum, and you gained a point in something useless then you would lose a point in something useful.

Like ... brushing against something without a sword equipped would drop the last point in magic that took you a month to get.

Flawless system.
Didn't "fix" that design issue for a long time...

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 01:26:37 PM »
Oooooh. I won a new 2H axe. Big upgrade!

... except for the fact that I have no skill in 2H axe. Can we pause the raid while I go beat on shit for an hour?

Keeping in mind that I didn't start playing until a few months before the launch of BC, I distinctly remember doing the warrior quest chain for my whirlwind weapon, choosing the Whirlwind Axe, and keeping it for a VERY long time. A big part of that was because I didn't want to level up weapon skill for anything else but that in turn made a bond of sorts with that weapon.

Of course, I also remember being on my hunter and getting some kind of weapon upgrade that was different than anything else I had used so I spending copious amounts of time annoying Dr. Boom in Netherstorm so YMMV.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2019, 10:13:32 PM »
* They are still evaluating the addon API.  They do not want to roll all the way back to 1.12 as they anticipate people would do far too much automation; at the same time, the modern API is probably too generous in other ways such as social features.
wowhead highlighted a post by the author of DBM: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/are-raids-addons-too-powerfull-for-classic/195291/117

It sounds like classic's addon/macro API will be the modern API (with all of its restrictions), and from there will remove features which weren't present in 1.12 like threat information and mob health.  Back before threat information was part of the API, addons like Omen had to guess at it, and they weren't perfect.  I'm guessing that modern addon designers can do a much better job of reverse engineering the in-game threat information, though.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
The classic stress test from June 19-21 will allow access to anyone with a paid-up WoW account, no invite needed.  Level cap is 15.

Based on reports on past stress tests, expect a lot of trouble logging in towards the beginning of the test period.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wow-classic-stress-test-june-19-21/200695

Brynndolin

• Cupcakes Member
  • Frequently wrong, never in doubt
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 07:12:21 AM »
Because I came right at BC, I never really knew what classes were super shunned in Vanilla. Of course I want to be a moonkin - definitely remember shunning as I tried to get into BC things as one so I assume it's one of those barely viable classes?