Author Topic: World of Warcraft Classic  (Read 2406 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: World of Warcraft Classic
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »
I think balance druid was a pretty bad spec in classic, yeah.  From what I remember, druids and paladins got shoehorned into healing for raids (and even then weren't really as good as priests, but they brought some class-specific utility).

Yharon

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2019, 10:27:48 PM »
Yeah, moonkin were the poster child of bad PvE offspecs. On the plus side druids get a little love in that guardians can tank most content competently in 1.12, other classes like paladin and shaman are stuck with only one viable raid role.
smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »
The Battle.net launcher is advertising a "pre launch testing" of classic for August 8.

Yharon

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2019, 04:04:04 PM »
Playing the stress test right now and the Horde start zone on the RP-PvP realm is literally crawling with people even with their layering.  I love it!
smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2019, 08:36:42 AM »
Blizzard has released the initial classic realm list.  Character names can be reserved starting August 12 (Monday) at 6pm eastern.  For our region there are four PvE realms, five PvP realms, one RP realm (Bloodsail Buccaneers), one RP-PvP realm, and two Oceanic realms.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wow-classic-realm-names-and-types/246645

[ETA: Blizzard added a sixth PvP realm: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t//253667/1 ]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:41:04 AM by Marco »

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2019, 09:52:43 AM »
Thanks, Marco.

My plan is now to start at least (and probably no more than) an Orc Shaman on Bloodsail Buccaneers.  I'm in Classic to see the Horde side lore I missed having not played that side until after Cataclysm.  Questing is what I'll be doing, not PvP.  I'm hopeful I'll find a guild to 1) not be destitute, 2) do 3-5 man quest bosses, and maybe 3) heal some dungeons, assuming they want to take their time and not rush through 'em like it's Mythic+.
Alliance: Fallowgrey L120 Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk / Zelbinion, Worgen Warrior
Horde: Bazwazzak, L120 Troll Shaman / Rinkitink, Belf Hunter / Sootandash, Tauren Druid
Misc: Kikiaru, Gnome Mage / Erzuli KulT rogue

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2019, 08:48:12 AM »
Blizz has set up forum posts for each vanilla realm back in the day for people to post and reconnect with those that played in 2004-2006. The ER forum is at https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/earthen-ring-alliance-reconnections/227750/80 - some nostalgia there for sure!

I am still undecided whether to play classic but nostalgia is a powerful driver!
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2019, 02:49:08 PM »
My plan is now to start at least (and probably no more than) an Orc Shaman on Bloodsail Buccaneers. 

Orc Shaman Krais@Bloodsail Buccaneers.  And Krais@Mankrik as well, because 45 minutes of repeated connection disconnects trying to get on Bloodsail Buccaneers.  (I lost count around 15 tries.)

Oh, and Dwarf Priest Fallowgrey@Bloodsail Buccaneers as well, because *mine*.
Alliance: Fallowgrey L120 Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk / Zelbinion, Worgen Warrior
Horde: Bazwazzak, L120 Troll Shaman / Rinkitink, Belf Hunter / Sootandash, Tauren Druid
Misc: Kikiaru, Gnome Mage / Erzuli KulT rogue

Deckard

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2019, 03:24:23 PM »
It's been a while, ladies and gents.  I'll be back for classic as a warrior named Buliwyf on Bloodsail Buccaneers.  My blizzard tag is Nelno#1621.  Say hello!

Brynndolin, if you send me any more carp, so help me god...

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2019, 03:31:53 PM »
I reserved Marco, Tulgey, and Uffish on Bloodsail Buccaneers, under the theory that if I do play (not that likely) it will probably be as a warrior, warlock, or priest.

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 07:49:01 PM »
I have created Jenilea (a human this time around because I am still recovering from the crick in my neck playing a gnome!) and Lindi. I also created a rogue, Jindoran, on Whitemane in case I want to do the PvP thing (I spent 6 months of vanilla on Emerald Dream).
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Zildjian

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2019, 07:51:23 AM »
So Bloodsail Buccaneers is looking like the default Deadly Cupcakes realm?

I'd suggest one big guild called Deadly Cupcakes for everyone playing in Classic.

I played the beta and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Main reason is the questing forced actual extended grouping where you socially interacted with people again vs the current experience of clicking to group to complete the daily quests and then immediately disbanding without a word said to each other.

Edit: And someone got Zildjian already (or it was otherwise disallowed). Looks like I'm Zildj instead on Bloodsail Buccaneers.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:17:02 AM by Zildjian »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2019, 07:58:14 PM »
The three-name reservation cap will be lifted at 1pm EST Monday (August 26), after which the limit will be ten characters per realm and 50 per account (separate from retail characters).  I think that's five hours before classic releases.

Some new realms have been added based on the number of name reservations.  They're mostly PvP realms and some Normal realms; there's still just one RP and one RP-PvP realm.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-wow-classic-realms-opening-monday-august-26/263309

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2019, 09:32:50 PM »
Blizzard has decided to prevent an addon called "ClassicLFG" from working.  This decision is interesting from two perspectives.  First, they aren't doing it for fidelity to the 1.12 addon API (which was very unrestricted compared to either the retail or classic addon APIs), but out of a desire for fidelity to the experience of forming groups in classic.  Second, there may have to be some collateral damage to really prevent this sort of addon.  For instance, roleplaying addons (which display a character's RP backstory to other people with the addon) rely on pretty much the same kind of background inter-player communication as an LFG addon.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/classiclfg-addon/263761/10

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2019, 06:39:55 AM »
It will be interesting to see how far they take that. The add-on API being relatively more modern vs 1.12 means there will be less of the add-ons that existed back then that simplified gameplay (although 1.12 is post-Decursive, etc) but there's plenty of newer things that would have been unimaginable back then.

I imagine that a web LFG tool will appear imminently.