Author Topic: Twitch sells Curseforge to Overwolf, affecting mod updates  (Read 32 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Twitch sells Curseforge to Overwolf, affecting mod updates
« on: June 22, 2020, 09:21:12 PM »
If you use the Twitch app to update your WoW mods, this feature will be separated out into a standalone tool as a result of the sale--which is how it used to be before Twitch acquired Curse in 2016.  There will likely be ads in the updater, with the bulk of the revenue going to mod authors.

I have vaguely heard of Overwolf before.  They make a software platform for developing game overlays.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=316562/twitch-sells-curseforge-to-overwolf

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Twitch sells Curseforge to Overwolf, affecting mod updates
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 07:56:16 AM »
Take the source with a grain of salt, but the commentary in /r/wow on this move is overwhelmingly negative.

It seems that Overwolf makes a very poorly performing product, with some nasty data collection/privacy/malware issues, the latest round of which popped up like 3 days ago.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Twitch sells Curseforge to Overwolf, affecting mod updates
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 04:10:00 PM »
Overwolf in the past did not play nice with Blizzard games to the point where I had to tear it out at the roots in order to get Hearthstone to display properly. The overlay tries to do clever things but like many third-party tools it lags badly on games that update frequently. I would not install it if I had a choice.