Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 2618 times)

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 04:55:21 AM »
I usually make that type of character, but luckily one of the first companions you get in Gilded Vale is that character.

Really? I got a wizard in Gilded Vale. So far I've gotten that wizard, a priest, a chanter, and a ranger. No tanks.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 05:16:59 AM »
I usually make that type of character, but luckily one of the first companions you get in Gilded Vale is that character.

Really? I got a wizard in Gilded Vale. So far I've gotten that wizard, a priest, a chanter, and a ranger. No tanks.

You can also get a fighter in Gilded Vale who starts out with a shield.  For me, he's currently fighting with a stilleto and a shield named the "Larder Door" -- and it looks sort of ridiculous as he has this huge shield, tiny flaming dagger, plate and a goofy helm.  He's very Don Quixote in appearance but very hard to kill - I sometimes send him forward in to things alone.  I actually went and built/bought a second fighter who is spec'd out as 2H melee dps.  I tried swapping her out, but things just died so much slower that I had to give up the party interactions for effectiveness.

Also, there have been enough good and useful helms, that the race that loses the helm slot feels like a real disadvantage starting in the midlevel range (its effectively a -1 to a stat).

My current party:
named fighter - tanky w/ shield
fighter - 2H w/ estoc & weapon spec; hits like a truck
named paladin
named priest
main character druid
named wizard

I've also found a chanter, ranger, and just found a druid.

The wizard is the top damage done because of AoE.  The 2H fighter is who kills the primary kill target.  The priest is support and healing.  The wizard and druid are AoE damage and a bit of control.  The "swap slot" for rotating in npc's for story is currently occupied by the paladin.

So far the priest's personal plot I've found fascinating.  The banter between the fighter and the wizard is pretty amusing at times.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 05:41:06 AM »
I thought I cleaned that place out but I guess I missed it.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 07:00:50 AM »
I also crafted a rogue early on as an adventurer to join me for trap and lockpicking skills, and am glad, as I never met another of those either.

this is terrible news! I was hoping I would soon find an NPC with personality to replace Gary the Max Mechanics Rogue.

The tank in the first town should be right south of the good ol' hangin' tree. Not sure if some story happening prevents him from being there or talking to you. You can tell if they're a companion, in true BG fashion, if they have a portrait.

EDIT: http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-diary-playing-as-a-party-of-bears/ (Minor spoilers for one of the first main quests)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:06:44 AM by Edalia »
o/\o

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:32:07 AM »
So, this game  has been out for a week or so.  Any thoughts on it so far and is it worth buying?  Also, how does the game play out?

Varyl

• Jedi Archivist
  • Cupcakes Member
    • Varyl's Home
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
So, this game  has been out for a week or so.  Any thoughts on it so far and is it worth buying?  Also, how does the game play out?

It's definitely worth buying. I'm currently in the end-game, I think, which surprised me as I haven't done a whole lot of the "build your stronghold / explore underneath it" stuff. But I saved my game and suddenly it said "Pre-Endgame" on the save file.

I am already wanting to play through again to see different responses with different characters. I love the interactions, though I do wish there were more scripted characters to interact with in my party. It's much easier to create your own, but then you miss out on quite a bit of drama.

The Watcher aspect with souls really makes things interesting, and the twist at the end is not what I was expecting.

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 11:11:50 AM »

Definitely worth buying.  Especially if you loved the old baldur's gate game.  Its like that, except with better implementation, better graphics, better scaling mechanics, and better writing.  I'm finding the plot fascinating, and have had a couple "Ooo, that's awesome" moments in the game.  And I've played a lot of RPGs, so that's an accomplishment. :)

I'm probably 1/2 way through if I had to guess, but have been aggressive in doing side quests before plot.  I'd recommend mostly using npc's you find in your party as the banter and their personal plots are interesting.  I'd have been especially sad to not see the priest's plot, especially in the context of the bigger story (which I guess means don't play a priest).

The game does have some replay potential as there are conversation options you only get to see if you have certain stats, skills, religion, or class.  This has the interesting bit of making a bunch of game guides/faqs on some of the quests less useful, as I've had at least twice where I talked my way out of a fight that the site I was looking at didn't mention as an option.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 11:14:32 AM »

This is definitely worth it. Like Varyl, I'm already contemplating my second playthrough. Combat is deep and interesting without ever really slogging, and all of the classes are pretty fun to play with. The story is good and the characters are well-written. It's also difficult without feeling punishing.

There is a patch coming out soon that addresses a few bugs. None game-breaking, really, but of course, Internet Hyperbole, etc.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Brynndolin

• Cupcakes Member
  • Frequently wrong, never in doubt
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 11:27:37 AM »
I'm pretty early in the play, but having fun so far! I'd say definitely worth it

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
I got sidetracked this weekend by a little bit of Dragon Age, but the story in Pillars is a bunch better. I want to get back to it ASAP.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 05:09:55 AM »
Beat this over the weekend. Did anybody/everybody kill the Master Below? At level 11, it 1-shot half my party, knocked my tank down, and then killed him before he could stand up, and I said 'screw this' and went the non-combat route.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 03:33:33 PM »
Obsidian has an upcoming game called The Outer Worlds, in the spirit of Fallout: New Vegas (but not part of the Fallout franchise and with no apparent connection to Bethesda).  The trailer looks pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc