Author Topic: Highmaul General  (Read 1075 times)

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
Highmaul General
« on: December 11, 2014, 04:11:06 AM »
Highest upvoted link in /r/wow right now is this series of graphics showing strategies for normal mode Highmaul bosses. I'm a visual learner so I found this helpful.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:52:12 AM by Edalia »

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Re: Highmaul
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 12:55:58 AM »
So, here's what I'd consider the kill order/difficulty order of N Highmaul:

Kargath > Butcher > Twin Ogron > Brackenspore/Tectus > Ko'ragh > Heroic Kargath > Normal Imperator
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

Marco

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:52:52 AM »
I agree.  To elaborate:

* Kargath has a fair number of things going on, but is tuned lightly enough on normal so that it does not have much of a DPS or healing check.  You can certainly get yourself killed in a variety of ways, but the raid can tolerate several deaths and still win.  On heroic, the increased damage load presents a healing check for undergeared groups, but it's still winnable.

* Butcher is a light DPS and healing check with a soft enrage at 30%.  It requires a bit of coordination in setting up the two cleave soak groups.

* Twin Ogron presents one substantial challenge (avoiding flame walls) with several other things going on to make it hard to focus on just that one thing.  Once your group gets sufficiently good at avoiding flame walls, there are no serious DPS or healing checks in the fight.

* Brackenspore requires a couple of people to learn the flamethrower mechanic.  While they are learning, encroaching moss will constrain the length of the fight, possibly contribute to the difficulty of the fight by healing adds, and you'll have two people doing crappy DPS.  Once they get good at it, they'll start doing competitive DPS again and moss will stop being a serious problem.  In the meantime, healers need to work out how to effectively deal with mushrooms, especially blue ones, and tanks need to learn how to move the boss around without killing the raid (or themselves) with REVIVAL!tic breath.  There is a noticeable DPS check through periodic raid damage subtraction--you have to be able to get through the big adds and the mushrooms before you can turn your raid's attention to the boss.

* Tectus has relatively easy mechanics compared to Brackenspore, but has relatively strict DPS requirements.  In particular, after you kill one of the two shards, you really want to be able to kill one of the four motes before they all start doing tectonic upheaval at the same time, or it's going to be hard to survive.

* Ko'ragh has a lot of mechanics and presents one frustrating tank challenge: corralling the nine adds in a suppression field when the adds don't like to cooperate.  (Maybe we're just too reluctant to make a tank stand inside a suppression field.)  It has kind of a weird DPS check--the more spell DPS you have, the better you can keep up with the increasing number of overflowing energy orbs, while the more melee DPS you have, the faster the fight ends.

* Mar'gok is one of those long multi-phase end bosses where you have to keep repeating the earlier phases in order to learn the later ones.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:14:14 PM »
Heroic difficulty/suggested kill order (IMO):

Kargath >> Twins >> Butcher > Tectus/Brackenspore >>>> Koragh

Once you've passed the Butcher gear/DPS/HPS check, Tectus and Brackenspore are within your reach. IMO Tectus is a little easier than Brackenspore.

The big difficulty leaps are from Kargath/Twins to Butcher and from everything else to Koragh.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:00:29 PM by Honorata »
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

Marco

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
A few words on Imperator Mar'gok since he was pretty difficult even on normal mode:

* We used three healers for 14 people.  A fourth healer wouldn't have been unwelcome, but would have made the second intermission tougher.

* For Branded, I mostly just told people to get rid of it at five stacks in phase 1, six in phase 2, and seven in phase 3.  In phase 4 everyone is spread out so it will go away on its own, although people might need to use CDs if they get it at 5+ stacks since healing bandwidth is spread pretty thin.  Some groups like to assign a couple of people to deal with branded, passing it back and forth away from the raid until they can get rid of it by moving away from each other; doing that requires some attention when it first goes out in order to get the brand onto one of those people.

* For Mark of Chaos, we used the Fatboss inverted positioning strategy in the odd phases, with the boss on the outside and ranged/healers on the edge of the inside ring.  When Mark of Chaos went out, we had everyone rotate 90 degrees clockwise to get away from them.  In phase 1 this was just for practice; you do not want to waste 5-6 minutes getting to phase 3 in order to work out the details.  On the even phases we used the normal strategy with the boss in the middle and the affected tank running away from the raid.

* On the kill we had our tanks taunting back and forth at 3-4 stacks, pretty much as quickly as possible.  He has no taunt diminishing returns, and the more you taunt, the less damage the tanks take.

* On the first intermission we had the raid stack up after the second ogre mage died and stand in a priest bubble while we killed the remaining small adds; then we moved to the appropriate position for phase 3 (edge of the inner circle nearest the boss).

* On the second intermission we were killing the reaver pretty fast under heroism (maybe 20 seconds from contact with tanks) and would be starting in on the second ogre mage when phase 4 started.  There's a period of relative quiet at the beginning of phase 4 so this was okay.

* Phase 4 was not all that difficult; we only had to see it twice to win.  Phase 3 is probably the hardest.

The biggest challenges we had were:

* People standing in mines (destructive resonance), getting knocked into mines, or running over mines to get where they're going.  Usually mine explosions didn't cause deaths directly, but they could add to healing strain.

* Mark of chaos in phase 3.  The inverted positioning strategy helped a lot, but we still had issues if the affected tank was standing too close to the middle or we didn't notice in time.

* Branded in phase 2.  The rubber band mechanic seems not to be very intuitive until you've seen it a few times.  Branded in general is that one mechanic which makes everything else harder, and it will start killing people at 8+ stacks if it gets ignored.

* The overall length of the fight.  You need everyone alive for the second intermission, so a couple of individual screwups over nine minutes can sink a pull.

Our kill (combat replay link): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LC9wdTGNZMX1fpcV#view=replay
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:29:23 AM by Marco »

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 09:52:50 AM »
Two more things that seemed important to me:

In phase 2 (?), we left a lot of space (5 yards) between the ranged and new mines to help tanks avoid mines after their teleport.

In phase 4 (?) the killer orbs spawn at the tank, so avoid that corner of the room.

Disclaimer:  I have very little idea what's going on in this fight, so this post may be completely inaccurate.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 05:48:30 AM »
Melee may be tempted to over-optimize phase 3 and stick to the boss even when he's not being pulled fast or far enough away from a rooted tank with a detonator.

This is wrong.

A tank may survive a tank explosion but you will not. GTFO of the tank bomb radius and go back to dpsing when they are done exploding. 9 minutes in is a bad time to F up the pull.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Marco

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
Amusing guide on dodging Twin Ogron fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5gYvlmNyZc

Some NSFW language, mostly written (the soundtrack is mostly just music).  It's for mythic, but the fire mechanic is the same as normal/heroic.  The geometric explanation isn't 100% clear, but then it gets into some very well-edited raid footage showing where you want to stand after the weapons drop and the best ways to react to incoming fire.

Oakshlane

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 12:55:15 PM »
So, I could get accustomed to fighting from this side of the room. I am a completely top down view raider and fighting with our backs up against the wall makes this fight extremely challenging. It's even more difficult to determine which direction the shield charge is going. I also think the mechanic of dodging the fire from this side is more advantageous to all casters, as well as melee. I run on a 27inch monitor and the best I can get is knee down view. In general, I think the views for most bosses have been very difficult in top down viewing.

Thoughts? Ideas?