Author Topic: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)  (Read 108800 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)
« Reply #825 on: November 12, 2019, 07:16:53 AM »
Had a remarkably fast and comprehensive interaction with Blizzard support. The culprit was, I think, the Overwolf overlay I use for replay and HearthArena tracking. Not sure what it was about the patch that broke it, but I deinstalled it and the game eventually came back up. I put the overlay back and it's still working.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #826 on: November 13, 2019, 05:27:49 AM »
I spent a couple hours last night in the new HS Battleground, an 8-player game mode that is most similar to the "chess" style of Brawls. I found it quite enjoyable, playing something like 6-8 rounds. There are some glaring flaws (like wildly unbalanced hero powers) but it's still in Beta and I expect at least one round of balance changes before it goes live.

The set of cards presently available is also quite limited, leading to a very small set of "armies" you can build, with some clear winners. Pogos rule, if you can get the RNG to give them to you. I assume they'll expand the card pool as it moves toward release so there are more potential things you can do.

The biggest downside, beyond the balance problems, is the immense effect of RNG. Drafting (building your army) is dependent on getting triples of your chosen minions and if Bob doesn't offer you what you need then your power level stalls out while people who get the right choices will curve past you very fast.

Minions attack left-to-right and respect taunt, so you have some control over things but choice of targets beyond that is random and can have a huge effect. Modifiers like poisonous and divine shield can be overwhelming if the RNG falls in your favor or nearly useless if it does not. It's not clear to me how they can deal with this; maybe they won't and just over time your RNG will even out. But it still feels terrible to have a set-up that ought to win and uncontrollable RNG screws you.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #827 on: December 03, 2019, 05:28:09 AM »
Class popularity, according to Firestone - https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/e5gs52/firestone_class_popularity_during_saviors_of_uldum/

Of course this is the season I chose to play Warlock. I'm actually surprised about Hunter because I don't see them that often. Quest shaman, quest priest, quest druid all very popular with my opponents.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #828 on: December 04, 2019, 05:43:03 AM »
https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/7122-the-return-of-winter-veil-info-about-tyrande-new

Details on the upcoming Winter Veil bundle - 30 packs and a hero portrait for $25. I am quite likely to spend at <$1/pack.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #829 on: February 13, 2020, 11:07:53 AM »
https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/7237-standard-meta-update-w-iksarhs

Interesting tidbit in this blue re-post of the top decks day-by-day: the note that Rank 3 through legend represents only the top 1% of players. I knew there was a steep drop-off in there but I sort of imagined it was at legend. That it happens at 4->3 or even earlier is a surprise.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #830 on: March 13, 2020, 05:58:59 AM »
Since this is also the battle.net desktop thread...

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/blizzard/t/main-thread-blizzard-agent-went-to-sleep-attempting-to-wake-it-up/4109

I had this problem this morning when I woke up my PC after a standard Windows install. Still do. I did all the Windows and driver updates, multiple reboots, scan with Malware Bytes, tried running as administrator... nothing changed.

Finally de-installed the battle.net desktop app and am trying to re-install it but it's hanging at "Updating Blizzard Agent..."

ETA: lolwhoops, looks like the whole world has this problem. us.forums.blizzard.com is so overloaded it's logging people out.

ETA2: re-install is failing. https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/1238444782214676481 is comedy relief
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:23:22 AM by Snique »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #831 on: March 17, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »
Newest expansion reveal stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyC7HrKLea4&feature=em-lbrm

Since I'm home unemployed I got to watch all of it. Lots of stuff, much of it good. Patch 16.6 went live with the stream including a free new legendary for everyone. It's another spell-based one, Kael'thas, free on login. Every third spell you cast each turn costs (0). Very powerful with cheap spells as well as twinspell cards. I suspect we'll see decks built around it at first but its long-term impact is likely to be low unless minions become much less dominant.

16.6 also includes a "Tavern Pass" for $19.99 or 2500 Gold. I'm guessing it's per month, though that's not quite explicit. Gives you four Arena Tickets and some Battlegrounds Perks including early access to new heroes. Not for me but if you want to spend money on this game here's another way to do that.

A bunch of card nerf revisions of which only Sludge Slurper affects standard now, I think.

Five cards are moving to Hall of Fame. https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/7288-all-card-changes-hall-of-fame-and-priest-coming
Big deal to remove Leeroy Jenkins. On stream they said there will likely be a replacement Leeroy of some kind in game because they like the flavor but they want people to have to choose other finishers/burst cards. MC Tech was doomed ever since they pulled it from Arena; I'm not sad to see it go. Mountain Giant is going; my guess is they're not going to do much more with hand size, though they did promise another nice minion for handlock, a deck type they like. Acolyte of Pain and Spellbreaker are also going, both surprises to me. They seem to want Silence mostly on spells, though they did talk about Owl still being available. It's just an inferior card in almost every way. AofP supposedly gives too much card draw for a neutral package. They seem to think every class should be able to put together its own draw package and not rely on the three major neutral minions. This is a bit of a nerf for combo decks and given how much Blizz has loved combo decks I'm sort of surprised.

Priest is getting a complete revamp, with six cards going completely away. There are some replacement cards and some buffs for other priest cards. Watching the stream I could see the focus on Divine Spirit being too limiting. With that card gone it's safer to introduce both high-health priest minions and more spells that buff health. Velen and Shadowform never did that much anyway. The loss of Auchenai makes some OTK combos not work, so OK I guess. I'll miss it. Taking out Holy Fire and Northshire Cleric make no sense to me, though. They also took off the card draw from Power Word: Shield so Priests are going to be extra-starved for draw now. They seem to think Priest control should be a thing but I don't yet see the tools for it.

Upcoming expansion will be "Ashes of Outland" (pre-purchase available with 16.6 for lots of dollars). https://www.hearthpwn.com/guides/7291-ashes-of-outland-cards-list-release-date-expansion

The stream revealed a lot of cards and it's coming soon so there will be only about a week of reveals remaining then it hits on the 26th. Some things, like changes to ranked ratings, will come on April 1. I like these changes, mostly, but I suspect there will be some tweaking still to come.

New expansion once again adds some legendary spells, of which they showed "Metamorphosis" giving a temporary change to your hero power. I like this concept a lot.

New legendary minion type "Prime" - minions have a deathrattle that shuffles an improved version of the minion into the deck.  The prime forms have really awesome battlecries and no deathrattles (so far at least).

New class - Demon Hunter - with Illidan as its first hero. Interesting playstyle, likely to be very powerful with strong removal and direct damage capabilities. Somewhat rogue-like but with more attack buffs and more self-healing. Not sure what rogue's spot in the archetypes is, now. In blue post they've said they are willing to move aggressively to rebalance Priest and Demon Hunter, both of which I expect will be necessary.

New keyword - Outcast - that I really like. Cards with this keyword gain an extra effect if played from the left or right sides of your hand. This means you can get benefits from playing quickly, or benefits from holding onto. It also may change how you play cards from your hand in order to move one of these to the left/right-most position. I like that it has a little randomness (when did you draw it) and a good helping of strategic choice.

New minion type "Imprisoned demon". Sits on board for two turns, can't be interacted with, then does something on awakening, plus you get the minion which itself seems to have a good stat line. Not bad, I guess, but not likely to be deck-defining.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #832 on: March 23, 2020, 07:38:34 AM »
Lots more interesting info in the Q&A, summary here: https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/7314-ashes-of-outland-community-q-a-demon-hunter-card

From a game design perspective, they clarify that they felt both Acolyte and Spellbreaker were too powerful for neutral cards and they look mostly to neutrals for Hall of Fame rotation. That's interesting and I can see that philosophy. Edwin is still a potential HoF candidate but they feel like the current year's cards happened to synergize well with it (many cheap cards) and that might not be true in future years.

It looks like Priest is going to focus this time on Nether Dragons but that likely means it'll be weak until at least one more set is revealed.

Some subset of the new class Demon Hunter will become basic once this year is over; some of its cards will rotate out.

All PvE content this year will be free.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #833 on: May 30, 2020, 10:40:55 AM »
The new ranking system is a bit weird, and may take some time to settle out, or adjust.

Despite one of my worst months ever (12-25) I'm up to silver 2, because I'm losing a max of one star per loss and still gaining 4 per win.

On the other hand, my battlegrounds game is improving. I'm over 5500 rank for the second time this month. Krip said on stream that 6000 is the top 5% of players, but I don't know his source for that.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #834 on: May 30, 2020, 02:13:09 PM »
The latest official information I could find is here: https://twitter.com/IksarHS/status/1236611090282205191

which says 5500 is top 20% and 6000 is top 10%.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #835 on: July 30, 2020, 10:03:57 AM »
Next expansion (Scholomance) launches Aug 6. There will be some quests for login the first three days that award new expansion packs.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #836 on: August 07, 2020, 12:39:16 PM »
This month's battlegrounds pass is available for in-game gold which (I think) has not been true before.  I just dumped 3/4 of my gold on new expansion packs so I'm not buying but if this stays I probably will in future.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #837 on: August 08, 2020, 12:28:13 PM »
This month's battlegrounds pass is available for in-game gold which (I think) has not been true before.  I just dumped 3/4 of my gold on new expansion packs so I'm not buying but if this stays I probably will in future.

No, it was true last season as well. It's not by month as well (3 months? not sure.)

I pretty much only play battlegrounds now and don't plan to ever give them real money. 
Cree (Dr 120) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 37) Adali (DH 112)