Author Topic: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)  (Read 99329 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)
« Reply #810 on: October 17, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »
It looks sexist to me.  Why "howling maenads" and not "harpies" or "banshees"?

Boy are we off-topic! All three words generally describe groups of women so I'm not sure why one term would be sexist and another not. Maenads were a historical group of women whose religious rites included howling. If you're asking "why does Alan like one word better than these other two?" then ... I dunno. It's a cool word and I like it.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #811 on: October 17, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
Boy are we off-topic! All three words generally describe groups of women so I'm not sure why one term would be sexist and another not. Maenads were a historical group of women whose religious rites included howling. If you're asking "why does Alan like one word better than these other two?" then ... I dunno. It's a cool word and I like it.
Whee, spiraling further off-topic!

I was wondering why you chose a word that specified women.  I'd assume that male fans would react similarly.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #812 on: October 18, 2019, 06:14:41 AM »
I was wondering why you chose a word that specified women.  I'd assume that male fans would react similarly.

I assume they'd likely be worse. But I picked a word that I like. Also, "shitshow" (another of my favorite words) is taken.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #813 on: October 19, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »
Blizzard does not seem to be catching any breaks, nor giving any...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/16/20917574/blizzard-ban-hearthstone-college-students-grandmaster-china-hong-kong-protests - college team got a six month suspension for holding up a sign. Can't say I exactly blame Blizz for that one, but it's interesting that the ban came several days after the protest. My guess is that indicates the decision went up the food chain inside Blizz. There was some noise (https://www.techspot.com/news/82372-followup-blizzard-finally-bans-hearthstone-team-displaying-hong.html) that the team was actually trying to get banned as part of showing support.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/10/18/20921301/blizzard-bans-hearthstone-twitch-chat-pro-hong-kong - and Blizz is (sometimes) banning people in its Twitch chat for pro-HK statements. No word on what their response is to pro-PRC statements.

And now Congresscritters have gotten involved - https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/18/us-congress-members-send-letter-to-blizzard-over-concern-for-recent-actions

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #814 on: October 19, 2019, 02:13:42 PM »
Interesting letter but the first line was out of date before it was sent, kind of like most politicians.

This does bring up an interesting point does Activision Blizzard have to allow the voicing of support for anything or only things that hit the current "enemy" (China)?
Andius(Ht 120), Belandius(Pr 120), Dalandius(War 113), Drandius(Sh 120), Elandius(R 120), Vandius(M 112), Deandius(DK 113), Delandius(Drd 120), Jinandius(P 118), Shandius(Wk120), Kamandius(Mk 119), Ishandius(DH 120) Liandius(LF Pr (93) Venadius (Mk 71), Klandius(Ht 28), Diandius(R 24)

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #815 on: October 19, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
This does bring up an interesting point does Activision Blizzard have to allow the voicing of support for anything or only things that hit the current "enemy" (China)?

This times a million billion. A great number of people were upset at this situation and some of them believe that no action should've been taken against Blitzchung. I will be incredibly interested to see what happens, if it does, when someone speaks out on a political point that is NOT popular with that same segment of consumers.

I personally agree with most of, if not all, the major points that Taliesen made in his response video. Some form of punishment was necessary, the one given was excessive, and the corporate world is dirty and terrible and makes it nigh impossible to play morality police 24/7. The biggest takeaway for me personally was his statement hailing Blitzchung as a hero because he most certainly is. He knew the rules, knew he was violating them, knew he would likely be punished, possibly very harshly, and still did it anyway. A tip of the hat to him and I'm glad his punishment was reduced.

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #816 on: October 19, 2019, 03:37:37 PM »
It looks sexist to me.  Why "howling maenads" and not "harpies" or "banshees"?

Off topic continues...WHEEEEEE!

Would you not have tagged him for the other words? They also indicate females, even more so to me because I'd never heard maenad before and had to look it up. Or would they be acceptable because they're widely accepted as fictional and/or creatures?

Kudger

• Adjective Noun Friend
« Reply #817 on: October 20, 2019, 06:22:34 AM »
Interesting letter but the first line was out of date before it was sent, kind of like most politicians.

I think if Blizzard put out a clear cut rule of no political speech of any kind and set out really clearly what the punishment would be, then things such as Blitzchung would never been an issue.

The current issue, IMO, stems from two things:

1) The current rule is so absurdly vague as to basically not be a rule at all. It's essentially disallowing "things Blizzard might not like" and then having no clear punishment outlined for an infraction, so the punishment they did hand down seemed arbitrary and insane.

2) Lie as they might (and yes, Blizzard is straight up lying to us), this had everything to do with them being scared of upsetting China. It sets a dangerous precedent because, if the Chinese market is so important to Blizzard and the PRC can and will literally close that market to them for whatever reason at whatever time, it basically gives a totalitarian dictatorship a frightening level of control over how Blizzard acts.

Blizzard's best course of action is setting very clear cut rules for behavior, clearly outline what the punishments will be, and then enforce them evenly everywhere.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #818 on: October 20, 2019, 04:12:13 PM »
Yes, I think "howling maenads" and "harpies" are pretty much synonymous.

Banshees would have been novel, and yes I would have commented.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #819 on: October 21, 2019, 05:30:20 AM »
Yes, I think "howling maenads" and "harpies" are pretty much synonymous.

That's interesting and not at all how I read the words. Harpy is often a negative connotation, associated with shrill and dirty imagery. I've seen it used often as a slander toward women.

Maenad isn't common enough to be a slander in my experience. They were women who raised their voices in order to be heard by the gods and to celebrate their causes. Like, literally getting drunk and being loud was part of their religious celebration. I mean, they did kill Orpheus but he probably deserved it and they're described as pretty powerful.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #820 on: November 01, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »
https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/blog/23156373

Hearthstone will be getting an entirely new play mode, called Battlegrounds. It'll use the same IP (heroes and things from current cards) but rather than deck-building it focuses on building a board using abilities and "coin" earned each round.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #821 on: November 02, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
Cinematic is finally up for "Descent of Dragons", the next expansion for HS. Thematically continuing the Explorers-vs-EVIL story it's set in Northrend and focuses on dragons.

Most interesting to me so far is that it looks like everyone is going to be given the new hero legendaries at the start. Considering how unbalanced this expansion was depending on whether/which quests you got I'm glad they won't be repeating that.

New mechanics for "invoke" your dragon hero and side quests (do a thing as you go, quest doesn't necessarily start in your hand) also look interesting and like they'll provide enough value people will build decks around them.

Also, dragons are cool.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #822 on: November 05, 2019, 06:03:03 AM »
https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/7026-hearthstone-battlegrounds-how-do-they-work

More details and links on battlegrounds. Currently they're slated to give no reward (prestige and fun). I expect there will be quests to push people to play it but otherwise I'm not sure how much time people will want to spend in it.

I'm quite underwhelmed by what I see. Lots of RNG, fixed timer (can't just end turn when you're done), and although it's free to play you get nothing for your time spent. I was hoping it'd be a different kind of arena mode, where you'd pay to play and have a chance to win things based on how well you did.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #823 on: November 07, 2019, 05:46:34 AM »
The most recent patch broke Hearthstone pretty badly for at least some people.

On my Android device I can start up the game but I can't play Standard because it doesn't recognize golden versions of cards as legit. ETA: thanks to a random response to an @Hearthstone tweet I found a solution to this problem.

On my Win10 desktop I can't even get past the initial screen.

Blizzard says they'll have a patch "Monday or Tuesday" meaning people are locked out for a week. I mean it's not like I don't have other games I can play, but this seems like a big enough thing they wouldn't wait a week to patch it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:19:19 AM by Snique »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #824 on: November 11, 2019, 05:13:07 PM »
Patch is out. It appears to have fixed the "incomplete decks" bug I had on mobile, but hasn't solved my desktop issue.