Author Topic: WoW is dying!  (Read 12728 times)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
Re: WoW is dying!
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2021, 10:13:20 PM »
Crafting is a big one. From what I recall, there's actual player skill/planning in making extra good gear. Resource gathering has some player input in it too. The ability to job swap makes alts kind of a thing of the past (which may be a pro or con depending on your style). I can't speak to any kind of PvP.

Crafting is very very good. For every tier of content there is a crafted set that is equivalent to what you can purchase with your tomestone currency (earned by doing dungeons/raids/dailies). And it can be further upgraded using that currency so you end up with gear that is roughly equivalent to normal raid drops. The only gear outshining it would be savage level raid gear. Further you have to be a maxed out crafter in fairly reasonable crafting gear to make that gear so while it takes quite a bit of effort to get to that point it ends up being rewarded. (And because of the barrier of entry it ends up selling very well)

Plus there's crafter specific class sets, relic tools etc. There was recently a crafting/gathering centric event where you helped rebuild one of the major cities and in turn got major crafting leveling boosts and prizes. Fishing has boat tours that leave from one of the main cities. There are also crafting and gathering oriented beast tribes where you gain reputation by doing crafting/gathering quests and unlock rewards. Honestly there are folks who only play enough as a combat class to finish the main story and unlock all the areas and then are just full time crafters.

PVP is there? but almost no one does it.(at least compared to WoW) It's just not a focus of the game.  I've done it a few times just because there were pretty armor pieces I wanted for an outfit and it was fine. It was sort of general capture the flag sort of mayhem. It's interesting because they give you a set of pvp specific abilities instead of your normal spells and attacks. They're similar but slightly tweaked towards PVP so you setup a PVP hotbar and then it's available any time you enter the pvp staging area or an actual match.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2021, 10:26:12 AM »
qqq

Like I said - if anyone ends up wanting to poke around in FFXIV aim for the Crystal datacenter if you want the rpg server equivalent community. Aether datacenter tends to be the hardcore raiding/streamers if I remember correctly. I'm on Zalera and happy to offer a guild invite if anyone wants folks to chat with.

I will keep this in mind. I tend to check in to the game for a bit once I'm in post-raid territory in WoW but it's hard to stick with it without much of a community over there!

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2021, 11:19:55 AM »
Wren - do you have any 1st hand experience/knowledge of the existence/performance/viability of a macOS client for FFXIV? Last I poked about, it was understood that there was a Mac client, but its performance/stability could be politely characterized as "poor".

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2021, 01:13:25 PM »
Last I used it (which was probably at least 2 years ago) it was just OK. I've heard recently that it runs quite well on the M1 systems: https://youtu.be/PE64Cy3AYTA

But I've seen a few bleeps here and there that since they updated from OpenGL to Metal that there can be some graphics mapping issues on some systems but I don't have enough data to say whether that's specific to certain models etc.

One thing to be aware of is the licenses for mac/pc/console are separate. I think you may now no longer need a separate license for PS5 but I'm not certain. Up to this point you needed a copy for every platform you were playing on but I have a vague recollection that something was being handled differently for the PS5 release for Endwalker.

The one thing that is absolutely true is that the registration/purchase system for FF14 is just the worst. You have to buy the game on the Square Enix site which gives you a link to get the key on another site then you have to input the key on your mogstation account to activate it. On top of this the steam version is handled entirely separately. So if you go with Steam you're sort of locked in with Steam.

Hope that helps!

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2021, 01:19:37 PM »
qqq

Like I said - if anyone ends up wanting to poke around in FFXIV aim for the Crystal datacenter if you want the rpg server equivalent community. Aether datacenter tends to be the hardcore raiding/streamers if I remember correctly. I'm on Zalera and happy to offer a guild invite if anyone wants folks to chat with.

I will keep this in mind. I tend to check in to the game for a bit once I'm in post-raid territory in WoW but it's hard to stick with it without much of a community over there!

We go in waves of activity generally. It's a bit quiet right now because we're in that lull before the expansion but even so you can find folks reliably logging in thurs-sun with some random appearances throughout the week. I think we have probably 8-12 folks occasionally to fairly active. So not a huge free company by any means but hey we have a house! There's also the linkshell system (essentially chat channels) so if folks decide to try things out and end up on a different server we can still chat and use it for grouping up. (as long as you're on the same data center). So I'm happy to throw out an invite for that as well.