Author Topic: 3.3.x stuff  (Read 8891 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: 3.3.x stuff
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »
mmo-champion reports that the ICC buff is now at 10%.

Unknown: can you drop to 5%, or are your choices 10% and 0%?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:21 AM »
MMO Champ reporting that ICC buff is now 15%.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »
http://www.mmo-champion.com/news-2/ptr-patch-3-3-5-notes/

* New Ruby Sanctum raid, as previously advertised.
* New Pop Out Chat feature in the default UI.
* Cross-game/cross-server/cross-faction communication via Real ID.

The notes do not include any class mechanics changes.  I am guessing this means that the notes are incomplete, not that there won't be any class mechanics changes.

As I understand it, real ID requires you to use your real name (or at least, the name attached to the billing information on your WoW account).

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »
Anybody planning to activate the Real ID thingy? I'm not enthused about the whole using-my-real-name thing.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »
I probably will, I got some pals on other servers/factions it would be fun to chat with while in game. 

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 03:06:51 AM »
Anybody planning to activate the Real ID thingy? I'm not enthused about the whole using-my-real-name thing.

Probably eventually, although I have your same concern.  Mostly, I'd be doing it, because I'd want to be able to chat with people in WoW while playing D3, so maybe in a year, Blizz will allow nicknames.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

AdmiralShardy

• Ahoy!
  • Cupcakes Member
    • Twitter Account
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »
It boggles my mind that after the security fiasco that was the Battle.net account transition, Blizzard is even thinking about using real names for their RealID.  Not only is that a hotbed of fun times for spammers/scammers/phishers, there's all sorts of dumb shit that can go down with people more easily having your real name and thus being able to learn stuff about you.  There's the creepy stalkers who seem nice until they get your info, angry in-game exes (or people who *think* they are in-game exes), angry ex-guild members, all sorts of people to whom the average player might at some point be comfortable giving their RealID but later regret it.  Sure, you might give your real name to some of these folks anyway, but it's going to be a lot more common with RealIDs.

Not to mention people being able to threaten other people with throwing out their real name/info on the Internet, and the rather large proportion of teenagers who will be happy to give out their RealID willy-nilly to anybody who says a few nice words to them.  Seriously, Blizz.  You guys know the general maturity level of your userbase. WTF?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:10:16 PM by AdmiralShardy »
Admiral Shardrell, Retired Nelfy Pirate
Julia Cappo, Active Guild Wars 2 Pirate.  I like pirates.
Twitter: @BeckyCFreelance

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »
It boggles my mind that after the security fiasco that was the Battle.net account transition

What was the Battlenet fiasco?  I missed that.

Also, given that they're integrating with fb, I don't think security is much of a concern for them.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 12:33:56 PM »
Also, given that they're integrating with fb, I don't think security is much of a concern for them.

The internet makes it difficult to tell if you're snarking or not.

I'm going to assume snark. Its the internet, after all.

Andy

• Infraction Champions Member
  • Tanking mandatory, spanking optional.
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 12:48:24 PM »
It boggles my mind that after the security fiasco that was the Battle.net account transition, Blizzard is even thinking about using real names for their RealID.  Not only is that a hotbed of fun times for spammers/scammers/phishers, there's all sorts of dumb shit that can go down with people more easily having your real name and thus being able to learn stuff about you.  There's the creepy stalkers who seem nice until they get your info, angry in-game exes (or people who *think* they are in-game exes), angry ex-guild members, all sorts of people to whom the average player might at some point be comfortable giving their RealID but later regret it.  Sure, you might give your real name to some of these folks anyway, but it's going to be a lot more common with RealIDs.

Not to mention people being able to threaten other people with throwing out their real name/info on the Internet, and the rather large proportion of teenagers who will be happy to give out their RealID willy-nilly to anybody who says a few nice words to them.  Seriously, Blizz.  You guys know the general maturity level of your userbase. WTF?

I hope it will give you the option of a screen name or nickname or something. =|

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »

The internet makes it difficult to tell if you're snarking or not.

I'm going to assume snark. Its the internet, after all.

Well, I'm snarking on fb.  I think Blizzard takes security seriously mostly as a business move: better account security means they can save money by not having as many GMs and customer reps to restore accounts, not because they care about privacy.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 01:43:29 PM »
I think in the age of facebook and massive social networking options, using your real name isn't as terrible as it might've been when the internet was more of an anonymous place to live.  There's a lot more folks out there who want to connect with people using their real name.

WoW and MMO's might be contrary to this since these are virtual realms where we can hide that part of our personal lives....so...who knows.  Either way, it seems like you can easily filter who you friend and don't so you could be as picky as you want if you choose to use it.  It'll be nice to be able to send messages to Ellyee about rogue questions again when we're both online at least.  Or tell poop jokes.

AdmiralShardy

• Ahoy!
  • Cupcakes Member
    • Twitter Account
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 01:09:14 AM »
It boggles my mind that after the security fiasco that was the Battle.net account transition

What was the Battlenet fiasco?  I missed that.

There was a large upswing in compromised accounts after the Battle.net account transition.  People logging in with their e-mails made it that much easier for the bad guys to find cracks in people's security, such as having used their WoW password to register on an easily-hacked web forum.  Basically it gave account crackers the ability to collect WoW account names without needing keyloggers.  We had a bit of a discussion about it on these boards before the big kaboom happened. :)

And (to follow up on other posts) of course Blizzard takes security seriously, but they tend to forget the human element of things when setting up their systems.  The RealID system theoretically allows people to protect themselves by giving them the power over who knows their RealID, but the problem is that people aren't always going to make the best choices about who gets access to that ID.  They'll want to use the tool, and it's exactly because there are so many people with their real names and RL information out on the 'net that giving your real name to other people on an MMO can be a bad idea.   Some people take in-game things way too seriously and/or aren't good at distinguishing between the game and reality.  By making your real name the default, Blizz just unnecessarily takes away a de facto level of privacy/security that people previously had, just like they did by making e-mails=WoW logins.
Admiral Shardrell, Retired Nelfy Pirate
Julia Cappo, Active Guild Wars 2 Pirate.  I like pirates.
Twitter: @BeckyCFreelance

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 08:00:21 AM »
Employers already search your Facebook before hiring you. With RealID, now they can search your epix.

Note: for most careers, more epix (more time invested) = less likely to get hired.

See note from the old forums ('Job Posting: World of Warcraft players need not apply').
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester