Author Topic: Warlock notes  (Read 3381 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Warlock notes
« on: February 24, 2010, 10:17:59 AM »
Unlike most pure DPS classes, warlocks currently have three viable specs.  In 3.3.2, affliction has the best sustained single-target DPS and destruction is lagging a little behind in that area, but in 3.3.3 things look due to even out.

Affliction provides the 5% spell crit debuff on mobs through Improved Shadow Bolt.  To achieve the best DPS, you have to apply corruption with the best possible combination of crit and temporary damage buffs (e.g. the Nevermelting Ice Crystal for crit, and Tricks of the Trade for temporary damage) and then keep it rolling for the whole fight.  This can be tough in real-world fights.  Affliction has a slow ramp-up in DPS, which can make it less suitable for target-switching fights such as Deathwhisper.

Demonology has a powerful ability for focusing damage into a small time window (Metamorphosis), and likely has the best AOE damage.  To achieve the best DPS, you have to stand in melee range and use immolation aura during metamorphosis.  Demonology provides the 5% spell crit debuff as well as Demonic Pact, a large spellpower boost for all casters in the raid.  Demonology has reasonable target-switching depending on how lucky you are with Decimation procs when mobs die.  Demonology is the most raid-buff-dependent spec because the pet benefits from physical DPS buffs while you benefit from magic DPS buffs; this can work to your advantage or disadvantage in 10-mans depending on raid composition.

Destruction has the fastest ramp time, making it good on target-switching fights.  It does not provide 5% spell crit or a spellpower buff, but does provide replenishment.  With Shadowfury, it is probably the best spec for kiting dogs on Saurfang.  It is the only raid spec with Destructive Reach, making it useful for fights where range is an issue.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:25:56 AM by Marco »

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
Re: Warlock notes
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »
Destruction....  It is the only raid spec with Destructive Reach, making it useful for fights where range is an issue.

In all my Affliction-spec variants for the past couple of years, I've always included Destructive Reach. It's a pain to have to deal with one range for DOTs and another for Shadowbolt. Maybe I've missed out on some other cool Affliction talent, but I haven't noticed any problems.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »
http://profiler.wowhead.com/?profile=15214160 is the affliction spec used for Simulationcraft theorycraft, if you want to see what you're missing for Destructive Reach.  It may be something inconsequential; the theorycrafters tend to ignore talents Simulationcraft can't model any benefit for, like range extension or threat reduction.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
As demo, I am always scared to stand in melee during boss fights. But moving back to my caster spot loses DPS time.  Should I use teleport? Or just transform and cast from afar? Sorry I have always wondered this and guess now is as good a time to ask as any.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »
Standing near the boss is not always advisable.  Sometimes there is damage there, and sometimes there are movement requirements which will impact your DPS.  Melee are designed to be able to DPS on the move, and Blizzard encounter designers take advantage of this to make it uncomfortable for casters to stand in close.  Generally speaking you just have to know the boss abilities to know when you can use it.

Immolation Aura has a GCD, so you can apply it just after corruption and get in three seconds of run time.  You can use Demonic Charge to get in and Demonic Circle to get out, but they both use a GCD so it's better if you can avoid it.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:33:04 AM »
With affliction, if you get a proc of lets say 4T10 or the ring, should you trinket and then reapply corruption? Also can the ring and the 4T10 proc at the same time?
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:55:55 AM »
The ring proc is a spellpower boost, right?  I don't think spellpower boosts roll with corruption, just crit boosts and % damage done.  So the 4T10 bonus should work, but not the ring, if I understand right.

Seniummortus

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 07:31:25 AM »
SP boosts are dynamic, % buffs/debuffs are static (this includes T10 and sub 35%), % based crit buffs are also static (note: this includes ISB on the boss.) I tend to wait till my t10 procs to pop my NMIC but that can sometimes bite you in the ass when RNG owns you, and it also eliminates pre-potting if you're into that sorta thing. As well you should always be sure to re-apply corruption sub 35% with another T10 proc if possible.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »
In 3.3.3 warlocks are looking at the following changes:

* Immolate ticks can crit.
* Life tap scales with spell power instead of spirit.
* Dark pact is now easier to use (100yd range, no LOS restriction)
* Demonic Pact mechanics change to decrease combat log events and slightly increase uptime.

For Marco (demo/destro), the upshot is:

* For both specs, about a 3.5% increase in DPS.
* For both specs, a modest boost in the value of crit relative to spellpower.
* For both specs, a modest decrease in the value of haste relative to spellpower.
* For demo, a noticeable decrease in the value of spirit relative to spellpower (75% -> 65%).

Destro warlocks rarely need to life tap for mana due to the personal benefit of Improved Soul Leech, so spirit doesn't change much for that spec; demo warlocks have to life tap for mana fairly often.

For destro spec, the changes are enough to make crit more valuable than haste.  For demo spec, haste still appears more valuable than crit for me.  (Caveat: it's pretty difficult to accurately model the benefit of haste, so there may be some simulation artifacts at play.)