Author Topic: Finished playing...  (Read 126860 times)

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Finished playing...
« Reply #630 on: April 15, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
I will never be finished playing this game!  I'm not really interested in playing above King difficulty though.

I've heard that the hardest difficulty has some cheating AI, but haven't heard complaints about lower difficulties.

Regarding balance between cultures:  it seems pretty clear that they're trying to equalize chance of winning, not chance of winning each type of victory.  For example, England, France, and Kongo have big advantages toward a culture victory, while the Zulu have none.  I don't know if it's even possible for Kongo to win a religious victory.

I just bought the Gathering Storm DLC today and I think they've made some improvements on the previous expansion.  The religious sub-game is better integrated in Civ VI than it was in Civ V, but still feels disconnected to me.  (Why am I not alerted when my capital city changes religions?)  And on the iPad, unit management sucks a lot less in Civ VI than it does in Civ Rev.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #631 on: April 16, 2019, 05:54:07 AM »
I will probably get some more DLC when I come back to Civ VI (I bought it off a steam bundle that had a couple early DLC included). However, take France as an example: they get benefits on spying and a late-mid game military unit that actually stands up quite well once you build it. However, they have no early advantage, so an aggressive neighbor or a bad barbarian random can set them so far back that by the time their advantages are available it's too late. Compare with ?Sumeria? that has a starting high-power military unit. This thing rolls over early barbarians easily and can take out most hostile neighbors until they develop iron weapons. This means your early cities are protected and quick expansion is viable, which basically paves the path to any kind of victory you like.

All the victory types require you to produce more Type X points (be they production for units, faith for religion, culture, or science) and that's always going to be faster with more cities. If there's a good strategy for coming back from an early setback I haven't found it; please share if you have one.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #632 on: April 16, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »
If there's a good strategy for coming back from an early setback I haven't found it; please share if you have one.

Nope!  I've made liberal use of the restart button.

It may be that this improves with more DLC.  It feels like I have more early setbacks on the iPad than I do on the PC.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #633 on: April 17, 2019, 09:28:41 AM »
Nope!  I've made liberal use of the restart button.

Yeah I flush 3/4 of games early. I just hate getting to that vulnerable point where you have a number of cities but haven't built Ancient Walls yet and you lose one city to an aggressor.