Author Topic: Finished playing...  (Read 104024 times)

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
Re: Finished playing...
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 06:58:16 AM »
Saying Dante's Inferno "openly disrespects" the game is like saying the Lord of the Rings games openly disrespect those cause you don't have to sit through 30 minute dialogues about towers. Its a game. Actually play it. Enjoy it. Read the creator notes and see what they said about making it. People complain about to many things before actually seeing it or trying it. Seni's point is right on point. I bet many more people picked up the book after playing it and it brought the book to a whole new audience. That can't be all bad.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 07:38:01 AM »
Actually the LotR movies openly disrespected the source because they omitted Tom Bombadil.

I found Tom Bombadil tedious, so it was a win for me.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 07:51:06 AM »
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. While I concede that a demo doesn't tell the entire story of a game, in this case the perspective and plot of the game "Dante's Inferno" seems to me like a high-school-morality version of the poem. I feel that's different from comparing the LotR novel to the movie or the games; the novel was supposed to be a fantasy adventure, and so are the latter two, with differences that are mainly due to the media used to present them.

While I certainly hope that some people will read the "Divine Comedy" (the whole poem, not just the first book, "Hell") as a result of playing the game, I hope they're not reading it just to read about the tortures. That would indeed be the boring English-lit-class approach to Dante's work.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »
So back to the original purpose of this thread.

Fifa 11: Don't know if many of yall are sports game fans. I have become addicted to Premier League Soccer. And have always enjoyed Soccer (football) games. This is by far the best one they have put out to date. And since you can't beat it, I figured I played through a season so thats close enough. It has by far the most realistic gameplay of the series and I have enjoyed all the goofy fun stuff on the side like the character creation thing which is kinda like a Soccer RPG. I have reallllly enjoyed it the little time I have gotten to play it. The way they fixed things like hitting the ref with the ball a lot and crossing actually being effective are nice touches. The only issue I have is their way of selecting who goes to what league cups. Some of the choices are weird (like leaving out Arsenal for those who know EPL soccer). Other than that have had fun. Also the playing a goal keeper mode they added was cool.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:15:11 AM by Gellin »
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »
While waiting for the crowding to ease up in Cataclysm, I've devoted my gaming time to Assassin's Creed 2.

There were parts I liked: the story was engaging, any mission that required thought and planning was fun, I liked climbing stuff.

There were parts I disliked, often hated. Basically, this was anything that required precision skill with the controller: timed platforming, chasing someone, racing through the city.

Overall: I liked it, but I'm not in a rush to get Brotherhood.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 05:07:38 AM »
The ending was epic too! You waited until the end of the credits right?
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 06:30:06 AM »
Yes, I did. As with movies, I always go over the credits at the end of a game; I figured the designers deserve it.

Except for the guy who designed the timed platformers in the Assassin's Tombs. He can have his sexual organs removed with a rusty spoon for all I care.
Bill Seligman

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 07:23:02 AM »
Yes, I did. As with movies, I always go over the credits at the end of a game; I figured the designers deserve it.

Except for the guy who designed the timed platformers in the Assassin's Tombs. He can have his sexual organs removed with a rusty spoon for all I care.

Haha, yeah they were no joke. It definitely took some deft timing and a few retries.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 02:22:15 PM »
Shadow Complex (XBLA):

An excellent Metroidvania-style game in a pretty generic "secret army base." The plot is based off of an Orson Scott Card series of novels, which, after my experience with his Ender's Shadow series, are probably a 50-50 mix of intriguing political thriller and ZOMG HAVE BABIES WOMEN ARE BABY FACTORIES.

Now, it is with a heavy heart that I say I'm finished with this game, but I literally have 100% complete on it. In true Metroidvania style, you begin the game with nothing but a flashlight and a backpack and eventually can become a nearly-invincible one-person-army in 12-15 hours. The game is built on the Unreal Engine, so although it's only a 2D side-scroller, you can fire at things in 3D and aim with the right thumbstick.

Combat is varied enough to keep me interested through the whole game. Your first gun is a pistol, which gets upgraded to a submachine gun, then an assault rifle, etc., etc., and you can always pick off foes at a distance. The subweapons are different enough to be useful in different scenarios-grenades, missiles, and foam grenades are all more effective against certain enemies than the regular gun. My personal favorite is the melee kill, especially from stealth. If you can get up close to a normal guard, you can snap his neck/kick him off a ledge/suplex him. After an armor upgrade, you can even do that to the giant guards with missile launchers, and punch dudes into the next state. If you perform the melee attack quietly enough, you can make your way through groups of guards like a ninja. Sure, it's been done before, but it's still a blast.

Exploration is relatively smooth, since your character's early Climbing Gear allows you to hang on to walls briefly (Mega Man X style) and wall jump. After a few mobility upgrades, vertical climbs become a non-issue, and only one or two power-ups involve frustrating...er, challenging jumping puzzles.

Where the game really shines is the use of the flashlight. This item has a standard limited battery a la Halo and Dead Space, but when you shine the flashlight on certain areas, the may glow a different color. If it glows orange, you can destroy it with your gun; green, you can destroy it with a grenade; purple can be destroyed or frozen with expanding foam grenades; blue, you can destroy it by running into it full-speed with the Friction Dampener boots; red takes a plain old missile. Because of this feature, I was able to figure out all of the puzzles except one-and that one takes jumping in an area the camera doesn't show after trying to destroy a hidden panel. Don't feel too bad about having to look that one up, especially since it was the only thing I had to.

The only complaint I have is that the game has a leveling system that is either mostly irrelevant or so subtle I didn't notice it-and the complaint is that it should have been more influential or eliminated entirely. You have 3 stats besides Health: Stamina, Precision, and Accuracy. I'm assuming these all tune your aiming in certain ways, though Stamina may affect how long you can run or hold your breath? Both negated by upgrades. Additionally, I completed the game in about 14 hours, and got to level 20. There is an achievement for level 50, and I have no idea how someone could get there. Higher difficulties purportedly grant experience bonuses, but unless that bonus is 250%, I don't see a way to get to 50 without cheesing areas with infinite spawns.

All-in-all, this game is definitely worth it if you have an Xbox and like Castlevania:SotN, Mega Man X, or Super Metroid. The soundtrack is excellent, the graphics are great, and the levels and puzzles are well-designed. The two big minuses are the completely generic story (but whatevs) and the lack of any teleporter-like contrivance. In such a large, open area, it was sometimes confusing getting from one side of the map to the other, and a teleporter or turbolift would have helped cleaning up that last few missile doors back by the entrance, etc.
o/\o

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 08:47:12 AM »
I know this hasn't been updated in a while with Cata out but I figure I would throw one in there! :D (Also I need to try out shadow complex and super meat boy).

Super Mario Galaxy:

Really enjoyed it. I know its a little older but I haven't been in the mood to play a platformer for a long time. I think the "galaxy" and gravity mechanics were really cool and while I was afraid it would be hokey and cheesy I thoroughly enjoyed it though by the end I was just ready to beat it and gave up on star collecting. I guess there are only so many gravity tricks to do. It was a blast of a platformer and Mario game. If you have't tried it I would suggest it and its pretty cheap now since its sequel is already out.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »
An older game, but I like...The Darkness.

I got it for like $3 at Gamestop. Its a FPS game based off the Top Cow comic of the same name and runs with an alternative story to the comics. You play the role of Jackie, a hitman for the mob, who at the age of 21 discovers he is the latest in the line of hosts for a timeless entity known as The Darkness. The game revolves around Jackie's struggle to overcome and control The Darkness while fighting off members of the mob that have turned on him.

My favorite aspects of this game are the voice acting, the storyline, and the music. I really want the soundtrack, and to somehow bind it to WoW to use with my DK, but I digress. The graphics are fairly dated and the character expressions don't do the voice actors credit. That is the big disappointment.

All the weapons in the game feel the same, but you get a wide arsenal of pistols, shotguns, and rifles. However, your primary weapon is The Darkness which can be used to summon Darkling Pets, sneak around and devour (1-shot) enemies, impale them, or open a hole to the void that does massive AoE damage. The trick is...these powers only work in the dark, a limitation that enemies become aware of as the game progresses, forcing you to spend a lot of time shooting out streetlights and floodlights.

The gameplay is interesting in that it is quasi-free roam. You have 4-6 districts you can visit, and an ample supply of sidemissions you can choose to complete within them. Completing the sidemissions doesn't grant any ingame bonuses, but does help set the mood of the city which is nice sometimes.

One of the most complimented aspects of this game (that I have seen) is a scene near the beginning after the prologue. Its a scene between Jackie and his girlfriend Jennie, which is one of the more convincing relationships presented in gaming storylines.

Overall its a pretty simple game, not that long, that's an easy play with a good comic book style story. If you are fan of Anti-Hero types and see it cheap out at a Gamestop, its definitely worth tossing a few bucks towards...especially for the music!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:42:37 AM by Vylin »

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 07:35:48 AM »
Recently I finsihed playing Fable 3. Now...Fable has had this sick power over me. I dislike the games, but foolishly buy and play entirely through each installment. Each time I am simultaneously impressed with the things they thought to add into the game, and disappointed by what they don't put in.

Overall, Fable 3 was more enjoyable than Fable 1 and Fable 2, but not as good as Fable: Lost Chapters (or Fable 1.5). Firstly, this game is ridiculously stupid easy and there is no way you can fail at any point in anything. The only difficulty comes in tracking down the many collectable achievements in the game such as finding all the garden gnomes, silver keys, golden keys, books, and flowers. By completing these collection quests you are rewarded with cool treasure...the slap in the face is that the game is designed so that you can not complete the collections until after the "end" of the game. That makes it kinda lame imo.

Story wise it starts off decently, then fizzles, then reignites slightly around the 2nd act. Overall, the story is very weak but better than previous Fable stories. In typical Fable fashion, there are no sub-boss fights or anything remotely difficult in combat, but at least there is an actual final boss (as unthreatening as it is).

The morality choices are pretty lame, but some are interesting. It is usually too clear-cut blatantly goody-good or evil.

One cool aspect I liked involved several quest series that essentially opened up new areas. For instance, through a series of quests you can help establish a little town and an evil temple. Those made it seem like you had more involvement in what was happening in the land.

The voice acting was very good though, and the humor was definitely entertaining. I will give them credit for actually making fun of both the genre and of the lame ending battle in Fable 2. A couple of parts really had me laughing, intentionally or not.

So Fable 3...not worth buying new, but maybe worth a playthrough if you want something easy you don't have to have a lot of concentration with.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 07:35:39 AM »
Having a weekend off from about everything so I finished up two things I have been trying to wrap up for a while:

Dante's Inferno:

I think about everything good and bad has been said about this. I will only add this. The addition of the good versus bad system at a basic level sounds like many other games but in this game really adds to it and differentiates it from its main competitors (God of War, Devil May Cry, etc) in that the addition of the cross as a weapon (and one you can use the entire game almost exclusively) was a blast and made it more unique than some of the other in the genre. It made me feel like the sick guy from the second Vampire Hunter D movie (for people who watch anime). It was fun. Lazer crosses made it a "ranged" action game and was a lot of fun. They do a good job of making the moves and style very different. And the counter system can be a lot of fun (for example, the counter-reshoot projectiles ability in the evil tree is a must in my opinion). Fun game.

Transformers: War for Cybertron

For 3rd person shooter/action games fans this is an alright game. For robot game fans this is great. For Transformer fans this is freaking amazing. It is actually a good game that incorporates the Transformer theme well. The dialogue of both sides are awesome whether it be Megatron berating his troops or Optimus being the supportive but lets handle business leader. It was a great game. Changing between vehicle and robot was smooth and was used back and forth a lot. The vehicle scenes felt kinda epic whether it was driving down an exploding highway or flying through caverns. I felt like the flying missions were some of the best though there were much fewer of those.

The biggest complaints were ammo shortage and cover mechanics from critics. The cover mechanics would have been nice but they weren't horrible. Just step behind a pillar or wall and step out. It wasn't bad but could have been done a little better, maybe more along the lines of Gears of Wars mechanics. But in a way it felt kinda weird thing that I would be crouched behind a fallen pillar as Optimus but I can see their point. Ammo shortage wasn't an issue. It was about the same as Gears of War or any other similar. You run out, grab another weapon or search for a weapon crate or just hit them with a melee attack. Never was so drained it would be the end of days.

Finally would just say LOVED the boss fights. Actual big boss fights that felt like boss fights, some more epic than others, but all pretty good (except the last boss felt a little cheap but still beatable.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »
STALKER: Call of Pripyat (PC)

The STALKER games are open-worldish first-person shooters where you wander around the wastelands of Chernobyl shooting mutants (and often competing humans), collecting strange alien artifacts (which are a little like magic items) and avoiding bizarre environmental phenomena called 'anomalies'. It sounds like it might be cheesy, and some of the dialog didn't translate well from Russian, but they are in general a very gritty series of survival horror/action games. There's no 'level-up' system, but you improve your character's survival chances by getting better artifacts and equipment (guns, body armor, etc.) over the course of the game.

So I played the first STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl for about a day. It was an intense day, and I obsessed about it that day, but in the end I had to give it up because of an inability to accumulate wealth; in the original, weapons and armor are unrepairable and horribly inaccurate, and so you chew through them at an alarming rate and are forced to spend what little money you can scrounge together to buy new weapons that if you're lucky last you an hour. This really wore on me. I didn't like spending all my in-game effort trying to run in place.

A couple months later, I was bored, and fired up the sequel STALKER: Clear Sky, which I'm told that purists dislike in comparison to the original, but I had on hand because I had gotten both at the same time. It benefited from a smaller, more focused world, a tighter narrative, far fewer cheap deaths than the original (mainly through less punishing anomalies and easier-to-obtain artifacts that were simpler in mechanics as well), and the ability to repair (and upgrade!) your weapons. I loved this game and only lamented that it was so short (and it was easily 20-30 hours the way I played it).

Hoping Call of Pripyat would be similar, I got it for Xmas. It's still a STALKER game but it's a hybrid between the previous 2. It only has 3 maps (swamp, train area, Pripyat) but benefits by packing those maps full of stuff. Unlike the previous games, you start with a decent weapon (AK) decent armor (basic stalker armor) and have access to weapons that you wouldn't get until mid-game in the others, right at the beginning. The main quest is OK, if often unfocused (very free-form like the original, and vague), but some of the side-quests are better (echoes of Fallout 3), and best of all they are untimed, unlike the original with its punishing timers.

In fact this game seemed a lot easier; access to good weapons at the start allows you to fight off the nastier mutants more easily, and it also means that you accumulate money from your enrifled adversaries that much quicker. Artifacts are much easier to get and in fact repopulate after emissions (map-wiping storms that force you to seek shelter or die). The weapon upgrade system is still in place with the caveat that you must find tools for technicians. Unfortunately, the tool quests have no pointers and force you to explore everywhere, looking for brownish-gray boxes hidden in corners of brownish-gray buildings, or meta-game (FAQs) instead. There are more guns in this game (almost all of them assault rifles) but I still still stuck with my Vintar BC and Viper 5 from Clear Sky (albeit I bought the 'named' unique version of these guns with slightly better than normal stats). The ending, as always, featured Strelok but in this case was a bit anti-climactic, although in a way it was a welcome change from Clear Sky's cheap teleporting enemies combined with an aggressive timer in its finale.

In general I give Pripyat a 7.5 out of 10. If you've never played a STALKER game before, I recommend starting with Clear Sky, as the original is a bit dated at this point and seems unnecessarily punishing. If you've played STALKER games before, you will almost certainly like Call of Pripyat, or at least feel at home there.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

samercyn

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 10:20:56 PM »
In response to Vylin on Fable 3.. is there no difficulty slider?  I thought I remembered there being a slider in Fable 2... but it's been such a long time since I've played it.