Author Topic: Advice on a new gaming computer  (Read 105 times)

deobryn

• Cupcakes Member
Advice on a new gaming computer
« on: October 07, 2020, 03:19:56 PM »
The last computer I bought 4 years ago is close to its last legs, and I am looking for advice for a new one.  I would want it pre-built, as I don't feel I have the patience/ability to build one.

It would be a gaming computer.  Highest end is not necessary.  I do tend to get lots of games (I have 1.5 tb of files on the 3 tb drive I bought 4 years ago).  I would want the ability to have dual monitors.  My current computer is how I watch DVDs, so an optical drive would be helpful.

Looking at NewEgg is confusing for me.  Pricewise, I'd say 1.5 - 2K.

Since Deadly Cupcakes did a good job with my last computer, I am asking for advice again.

-Tony

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Advice on a new gaming computer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 12:45:49 PM »
AMD just announced a new generation of CPUs https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/08/amd_ryzen_5000/

The Zen 3-based Ryzens will be available on November 5, 2020. AMD is planning another event on October 28, 2020, to talk about its Radeon RX 6000 gaming GPUs.

When system builder will start using them I have no idea :(
Andius(Ht120), Belandius(Pr120), Dalandius(War20), Drandius(Sh120), Elandius(R120), Vandius(M112), Deandius(DK120), Delandius(Drd120), Jinandius(Pal120), Shandius(Wk120), Kamandius(Mk 120), Ishandius(DH120) Liandius(LF Pal(120) Venadius (Mk114), Klandius(Ht46), Diandius(R42) Mechandius (W22)

deobryn

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 03:27:38 PM »
System builder? 

November may be too late.  :-)  Signs of death are appearing for the current computer.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 04:41:40 PM »
What are the Signs of death that you computer is showing?
Andius(Ht120), Belandius(Pr120), Dalandius(War20), Drandius(Sh120), Elandius(R120), Vandius(M112), Deandius(DK120), Delandius(Drd120), Jinandius(Pal120), Shandius(Wk120), Kamandius(Mk 120), Ishandius(DH120) Liandius(LF Pal(120) Venadius (Mk114), Klandius(Ht46), Diandius(R42) Mechandius (W22)

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 05:28:24 AM »
There was some unexpected shutting down early in the summer which I think we fixed by dusting it all out.  That came back briefly in a way that wasn't clearly dust related, but isn't a regular thing anymore.

There was the awful noise it made the other morning which was probably an unbalanced or dying fan.

And there's a new flicker in the video on one monitor.  If I recall correctly, the ports on the video card don't support two standard HDMI cables, so it's not surprising that the two monitors behave differently.  (The other one is maybe DVI something?  The white one with the three squares of pins.)

Also we think the UPS is not quite powerful enough to keep the computer running while it loads new zones, but that's not really a reason to replace the computer.

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 08:37:17 AM »
Last time I built, I leaned on three external sources for ideas:

1) MMO Champion's Build of the Month, useful for a general sense of what's out there, ratings, and levels of build
2) MicroCenter of Cambridge's On-line Catalog, useful for knowing relative current costs
3) My friends still in the desktop support business, who build systems weekly

I can't help you with #3, because Len and others just owe me for getting them their first jobs years ago.  But #1 and #2 are worth looking at, #2 esp. if you're in the Boston area.

Then find someone to build for you, or find a pre-built with the same components, I guess.  Given I've got enough to do building for my husband, I'm out of the running.  But it is possible to find assemblers.  Hell, maybe my friends could use a side hussle, although they probably don't come as cheap as you'd like.

Major disclaimer: Sweetums plays on the built PC.  I don't; I'm on my Mac, because, well, I can't stand maintenance hassle in my day-to-day existence, just when the husband guilts me into it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:43:27 AM by Fallowgrey »
Alliance: Fallowgrey L120 Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk / Zelbinion, Worgen Warrior
Horde: Bazwazzak, L120 Troll Shaman / Rinkitink, Belf Hunter / Sootandash, Tauren Druid
Misc: Kikiaru, Gnome Mage / Erzuli KulT rogue

Hotspur

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 11:40:34 AM »
Last time I built, I leaned on three external sources for ideas:

1) MMO Champion's Build of the Month, useful for a general sense of what's out there, ratings, and levels of build
2) MicroCenter of Cambridge's On-line Catalog, useful for knowing relative current costs
3) My friends still in the desktop support business, who build systems weekly

I can't help you with #3, because Len and others just owe me for getting them their first jobs years ago.  But #1 and #2 are worth looking at, #2 esp. if you're in the Boston area.

Then find someone to build for you, or find a pre-built with the same components, I guess.  Given I've got enough to do building for my husband, I'm out of the running.  But it is possible to find assemblers.  Hell, maybe my friends could use a side hussle, although they probably don't come as cheap as you'd like.

Major disclaimer: Sweetums plays on the built PC.  I don't; I'm on my Mac, because, well, I can't stand maintenance hassle in my day-to-day existence, just when the husband guilts me into it.

Being near a Microcenter is a big leg up, Powerspec is their in store brand, and is generally a good value.  The problem overall right now is that AMD CPUs were just refreshed and haven't hit the shelves quite yet, AMD GPUs are due to be refreshed SOON to compete with Nvidia, and Nvidia GPUs were just refreshed, and supply is miserable.

So, the only component you can really buy that's a safe bet now is an Intel 10 series cpu, which tend to be pricier.  The AMD motherboards should support the new chips coming out as a drop in replacement, but it needs some validation to be sure that's a true statement. 

I know you don't want to build a new one yourself, but can you identify which fan is buzzing and swap that out?  It might help buy time and sanity.  Even with my most recent build, I feel like I replace the CPU fan every year or so, and they're decent Noctua fans.  The bearing just wears unevenly and bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 02:46:30 PM »
I agree with Hotspur on the fan, I'm also looking to replace one my case fans (currently it is just disconnected)

That is a DVI port but from the sounds of it I think the display is dying rather than the connection. I just replaced my secondary display. It started with some odd flickering then last week it started to rather loudly buzz :(

deobryn

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 04:06:04 PM »
Another symptom that has happened that Heidi did not know about is for a time every day everything would freeze.  No mouse movement and ctrl-alt-delete did nothing.  I would hard reboot and it would be fine for the rest of the day.  That hasn't happened recently, but it is just one of several hints that I need to deal with this sooner rather than later.

As for buying parts and having someone else build it, I am in the same boat as I have no idea how to find such a person.  If there was such a way to find such a reliable person, I'd be more than happy to talk to them and say what I need, and pay them to spec it out and build it.

Part of what is going on is recently my work had been connecting to a machine in another location by VDI and remote desktop.  That machine is being retired, so now I have a work laptop and not the space to get a full keyboard/mouse/monitor setup, so I would like to have a switch with my PC setup.