Author Topic: Gender issues and gaming  (Read 115830 times)

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
Re: Gender issues and gaming
« Reply #495 on: November 06, 2021, 09:47:50 AM »
Us plebes can't download the paper without creating an account. Would you at least post the abstract so we have some idea of what the paper's about?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #496 on: November 06, 2021, 05:46:45 PM »
Us plebes can't download the paper without creating an account. Would you at least post the abstract so we have some idea of what the paper's about?

I have an account so I downloaded it for you. Here's the full thesis (PDF): https://file.io/Ej2rcnDoaAl3.
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #497 on: November 07, 2021, 12:55:05 AM »
Unfortunately, as of 4AM ET 07-Nov-2021, I get a "file not found" when clicking that link.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #498 on: November 07, 2021, 08:40:48 AM »
Oops, sorry.  They're really pushy about getting me to read their stuff; I figured they'd make it easy for everyone else.

ABSTRACT

This thesis is an investigation of ‘Gamer Girlfriends’ and deconstructs the stereotypes surrounding this particular phenomenon by presenting the accounts of the lived experiences of those who may be labelled as a ‘Gamer Girlfriend’. In its place, the term ‘Gamer Girlfriends’ gestures towards the complexity of affective relationships at the nexus of gaming, romantic relationships and the experiences of women. Exploring the particular barriers in gaming faced by women, this research has conducted interviews with women who have played videogames with their partners, so as to form a more nuanced and multifaceted picture of the role of women in gaming. This thesis critically examines the dynamics of what are otherwise considered to be positive relationships, and examines how these dynamics may impact on women’s experiences of gaming. Focusing on relationship dynamics and the interplay of gender, constructs a framework that apprehends gaming as a culture which is situated within wider social contexts, rather than insulated or segregated from everyday lived experiences. This thesis uses the critical identity theory of existential feminism to shed light on the underlying heteronormative limitations imposed by the games industry, the gaming ‘community’, and media discourses. This research’s ethnographic data is analysed with the theories of ‘affective labour’ and ‘gender performativity’. These discussions explore the negotiations and sways of affective powers in relationship dynamics, traditional gender roles, and the ‘hypermasculinity’ of gaming culture, conveyed in the ‘modulation’ of gender performance and gaming practices – the limited ‘modes’ in which women are afforded to express themselves in gaming.

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #499 on: November 07, 2021, 03:41:39 PM »
Unfortunately, as of 4AM ET 07-Nov-2021, I get a "file not found" when clicking that link.

Oops. Try this: https://pdfhost.io/v/34fpRSoq4_Girlfriend_Mode_Gamer_Girlfriends_Suppor
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #500 on: November 07, 2021, 04:30:09 PM »
Thanks; I got it! I'm still struggling to understand it. I get the impression that it's worth understanding.
Bill Seligman