Author Topic: Twitch sells Curseforge to Overwolf, affecting mod updates  (Read 146 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Twitch sells Curseforge to Overwolf, affecting mod updates
« on: June 22, 2020, 09:21:12 PM »
If you use the Twitch app to update your WoW mods, this feature will be separated out into a standalone tool as a result of the sale--which is how it used to be before Twitch acquired Curse in 2016.  There will likely be ads in the updater, with the bulk of the revenue going to mod authors.

I have vaguely heard of Overwolf before.  They make a software platform for developing game overlays.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=316562/twitch-sells-curseforge-to-overwolf

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Twitch sells Curseforge to Overwolf, affecting mod updates
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 07:56:16 AM »
Take the source with a grain of salt, but the commentary in /r/wow on this move is overwhelmingly negative.

It seems that Overwolf makes a very poorly performing product, with some nasty data collection/privacy/malware issues, the latest round of which popped up like 3 days ago.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 04:10:00 PM »
Overwolf in the past did not play nice with Blizzard games to the point where I had to tear it out at the roots in order to get Hearthstone to display properly. The overlay tries to do clever things but like many third-party tools it lags badly on games that update frequently. I would not install it if I had a choice.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 08:26:24 AM »
Today I learned that there are functional alternative addon updaters.  wowhead highlighted Ajour today, but there are a bunch.  From the comments, some people like wowup.io a lot, but it doesn't support macOS yet.

I used to use an independent addon updater (wowmatrix), but Curse denied it access due to revenue stream issues.  I guess that isn't as much of an issue now.  I don't currently have a problem with the Twitch app updater, but it will be good to know about other options when I need to switch [ETA: which is apparently at Shadowlands launch, so I'll have to make a decision during pre-patch].
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 09:51:35 AM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »
Actually, after going further down the rabbit hole, the mod updater situation seems to be leading up to a bit of a train wreck.

* The Twitch app is expected to stop supporting mod updates when Shadowlands releases.  This could of course be delayed, but that decision is in the hands of Twitch, which no longer has an investment in the wow mod space.

* The Overwolf updater is behind schedule, and is currently scheduled to be released on Shadowlands release day with a beta one week before.  It also won't support macOS until some weeks later.

* The Overwolf updater doesn't appear to be standalone as it was previously described; it seems to be coupled with the overlay software that some people dislike.  It doesn't look like you'll have to keep the overlay software running, but it does sound like you'll need to have it installed, and run it briefly while you're updating mods.

* The Overwolf updater requires a sign-in (also true of the Twitch app).  Not necessarily a big deal, but there's no technical reason for that inconvenience.

* The Overwolf updater is ad-supported.  That doesn't bother me, especially since they're promising revenue-sharing with mod authors, but it annoys many people.

* Third-party updaters work for now, but if they become popular, there's really no reason why Overwolf wouldn't block access to Curseforge from those updaters just as Curse did to wowmatrix back in the day.

I expect to continue using Twitch through the pre-patch release (which will be the point of major disruption), then try out wowup.io, and then eventually switch to the Curseforge updater if I have to.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=318197/overwolfs-shadowlands-roadmap-for-curseforge-app

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 04:38:20 PM »
WoWUp is just a bleeding Electron app (oh boy. another one), so probably the only thing standing between it and a working macOS port is someone not clicking the right button in Travis

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 06:02:53 AM »
WoWUp is just a bleeding Electron app (oh boy. another one), so probably the only thing standing between it and a working macOS port is someone not clicking the right button in Travis

Hotspur

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 06:56:04 AM »

My skill in business analysis has allowed me to bold the important part here.  Time to push it back for another sprint or two.   ;D

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 07:37:57 AM »
Upon closer inspection, I was partially wrong. The updater core appears to be Electron, but the crunchy GUI shell smells like a Windows.Forms abomination which could be extremely fun to port to macOS, given comments I've seen in the mono GitHub repo saying "oh yeah we know it doesn't work for 64 bit, patches accepted".

Brynndolin

• Cupcakes Member
  • Frequently wrong, never in doubt
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
Wow, this is all fascinating, rigorous material I completely understand. Consider my sage nods all around substantive contribution to the discussion.

All kidding aside - I'll check back for where to go to get WoW Mods for SL!! ;)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 06:51:45 PM »
Wow, this is all fascinating, rigorous material I completely understand. Consider my sage nods all around substantive contribution to the discussion.

This and Piralyn's excellent reaction GIF made my night.