Author Topic: Finished playing...  (Read 102253 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Finished playing...
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:12:27 AM »
A thread for reflections on games you're done with.  World of Warcraft is not recommended topic matter. :)

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom: A 2D puzzle platformer with time elements, with a lot of similarities to Braid, right down to each "chapter" introducing different variations on the gameplay elements.  The puzzles tend to be a little more timing-oriented, making them sometimes a bit less cerebral and more dependent on reflexes or reactions.  The game wasn't too hard; I got kind of stuck on one of the puzzles near the end, but never needed outside help.  The game has an amusing visual style, but its best aspect is an excellent use of music.  Worth a few bucks and some time.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: An older FPS-engine-based RPG with some similarities to Deus Ex, although it's not nearly as good.  This game had a lot of potential, but the production values weren't good enough to make it enjoyable.  The game's strongest aspects are gameplay freedom and different viable paths for character development.  The storyline was sort of interesting and the voice acting was passable, but the graphics were terrible, the gameplay axes weren't balanced well enough, and it was terribly buggy even after plenty of time to get patches out.

nurgh

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Finished playing...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
Creeper World.
Available online, cheaply, at knucklecracker.com.  Thousands of years in the future, mankind has just been evicted from all its planets by "creep" falling from the skies.  It just grows, takes over, and ravages worlds.  You're in charge of the last human city, which flies from planet to planet through rifts, trying to set up the next rift before the creep takes over the world.
The plot's hokey.  Ignore it.  Instead, play it as a slightly different real-time strategy game.

Also, Torchlight and Portal.  But lots of people know about those games.

Except he added a patch with more maps.  So Creeper World comes off the "finished" list.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:47:11 PM by nurgh »

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
If I can reminisce about "ancient" games:

- Ultima III, pretty much the only RPG-style game I've ever completed without consulting a hint book.

- The Prisoner, which I also played on my Apple II+. It's difficult to describe how well that game captured the feel of the TV series, using nothing but text and low-res screen technology.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 09:08:19 AM »
Dragon Age Awakenings: I've been waiting for it to drop under $25 on Amazon so I can use a Gift Certificate on it, and that happened this week.

I agree with the majority of the reviews I've read about it. Its short, maybe 15-20 hours long depending on how much dialogue you listen to and if you do all the sidequests (and how much you micromanage combat). I liked the overall story and the gameplay. I think the dungeons were really well designed and an improvement over the core game. I would have preferred more sub-bosses to make the fights more difficult. Unfortunately due to being familiar with Dragon Age Origins, my Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage is set up to handle just about any encounter soundly.

I did not like the new characters and their relationships. They felt hollow and rushed. They did not have the same volume of dialogue as Origins, so a lot of their story seems forced and rushed. Personality wise I think they could have been great memorable characters (except for Nathaniel & Dalish Elf-Morrigan) given more breathing room.

The final fight felt like a boss fight, which I like. But the ending was a slideshow, which I disliked. Yes, Origins did it too...but at least you had a throne room scene to feel triumphant. The ending was essentially a fade to black following our hero firing the killing bullet at the bad guy, turning around and walking away as the whole scene exploded behind him. Good scene, but bad scene to end on.

Overall I am happy with it though. I will probably restart Origins and play the whole thing through again for fun.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »
Grand Theft Auto IV.  This game was a step up from the GTA3 games in most depratments, but my experience was marred by technical issues.  The PC port has a choppiness issue on many machines (including mine) which I was unable to resolve, and I had to replay about 20% of the game due to a disappearing-mission bug which stopped the plot.  I'd recommend playing this game on a console and keeping a rotating set of save games to fall back in case you notice a mission disappear.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:17:13 AM »
Dragon Age Awakenings: REDUX!

I played through this a second time, starting from the beginning in Origins all the way through Awakenings. I made some new discoveries that changed the game for me.

My original assessment of the Morrigan-Clone Elf chick and The Archer Nathaniel were unjust. Their characters got more interesting the more they opened up with party members. Nathaniel actually has extremely dry humor that I mistook for being a stoic stick-in-the-mud. He actually has some funny interactions with fellow companions, and its hard to tell whether he is being serious or not. Velanna has some funny interactions as well. She acts like an ass to anyone, but is also super self-conscious and gets flustered really easy. I found it funny and have kept her in the group this go around for that sole reason.

Gameplay wise, I made 2 discoveries. The first is that Archery got a HUGE buff. I did not realize it until Nathaniel was hitting for over 400, at one point almost breaking 1k. Nathaniel quickly became my #2 damage dealer until...I respec'd Justice from a Tank to a Dual Wielder. With the right gear and build, he is a dervish on the battlefield. His attacks ignore armor by merit of the Fade Warrior specialization and deal spirit damage (if only I could equip him with the ring that gives +100% spirit damage). In the time it took me to take down a boss Mage, he took down the boss Golem on his own without taking any damage.

Runecrafting is also severely OP. It takes time, planning, and bagspace to do properly, but when you take the time and money to do it...things get crazy. I gave everyone runes for +10 damage vs. Darkspawn, Paragon level Paralyze Runes, -10% Fatigue and Immunity to Flanking on the armor.

In all, this 2nd game I am coasting through extremely easy. If the stuff in Awakenings had been longer then this ass kicking would cover all of Fereldan.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 07:32:47 AM »
Front Mission: Evolved. It was solid. Shorter than I would have liked. Super cheesy predictable story. But it was a solid military mech shooter. Arguably the best one I have played (only the new Transformers being as good but thats more giant robots, slightly different). Had a nice change of pace when you went into the other modes, like getting out of the robot and being the soldier. It laid a nice foundation that I wish they had added more to. A lot of the concepts and gameplay was basic but really good. Actual boss fights. The main problems were the cheesy story and how the boss fights, could end up being easy because they had respawning health pack. so if you dodged enough than you could just heal up. I mean sometimes you would have your legs blown up and then just be a sitting duck but more often than not I would just heal up. Also the whole hey you have to buy all your parts thing kinda sucked. I would think the military would give you free parts but whatever. So you couldnt really customize in the story mode as much as I would have liked. But overall I did actually really enjoy it even if it wasn't to long.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 07:50:44 AM »
I think I may be finished with Dragon Age. I haven't even gotten that far, but there are too many things about this game that bother me.

- Morrigan. I want her to put on a fucking shirt. I don't want her to have eyeshadow in my Grim Medieval Fantasy World. I don't want her to run into melee even though I've set her to ranged.
- And on that, the combat is off. It feels like Baldur's Gate to me, but I understand it less. I am able to use 2 or 3 of my special swings a combat. I'm told a healer can fix this, but I thought the Bard stam/mana regen would help and it doesn't.
- I was expecting the combat scripting to be fun like FFXII, but since talent points (or skill points? I have no fucking clue) are so scarce that I don't have any to spare on tactics, I'm stuck choosing 4 pretty general actions and performing too much god damned micro-management.
- All the gear upgrades are so marginal I don't even know why I bother.
- The leveling feels clunky. I'm adding all these points to stats and gaining talents in dribs and drabs-gaining a level isn't exciting at all.
- My silent dwarven hero is a stark contrast to fully-voiced Shepard in ME2. I know this will change in DA2, but it makes conversation have gaps that break up the flow.

I could go on, but every time I try to fire this up, I think "ugh" and play The Witcher (speaking of putting on shirts) or Fallout 3 instead.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 08:10:05 AM »
DA is really hard with 0 mages and much easier with 2, especially if you know the tricks. I know what you mean, though; I was pretty down on the game at the start, but it really grew on me. You just need to figure out how the system works.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:47:09 AM »
DA is really hard with 0 mages and much easier with 2, especially if you know the tricks. I know what you mean, though; I was pretty down on the game at the start, but it really grew on me. You just need to figure out how the system works.

1 Mage is ideal...Mages take SO MUCH micromanagement. I did a 3 mage team for the final stages of DA:O and it was an abyssmal nightmare. I did better with 1 Warrior + 2 Rogues (0 Mages). Or you can spend hours setting up specific tactics.

But yeah Edalia, I can see exactly where you're coming from. In Baldur's Gate, us D&D nerds understood the underlying rules, but that isn't so with DA:O. It takes some learning and is counterintuitive at some points. The silent Protagonist is brutal. I still liked it though.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 11:26:48 AM »
I think I may be finished with Dragon Age. I haven't even gotten that far, but there are too many things about this game that bother me.

- Morrigan. I want her to put on a fucking shirt. I don't want her to have eyeshadow in my Grim Medieval Fantasy World. I don't want her to run into melee even though I've set her to ranged.
- And on that, the combat is off. It feels like Baldur's Gate to me, but I understand it less. I am able to use 2 or 3 of my special swings a combat. I'm told a healer can fix this, but I thought the Bard stam/mana regen would help and it doesn't.
- I was expecting the combat scripting to be fun like FFXII, but since talent points (or skill points? I have no fucking clue) are so scarce that I don't have any to spare on tactics, I'm stuck choosing 4 pretty general actions and performing too much god damned micro-management.
- All the gear upgrades are so marginal I don't even know why I bother.
- The leveling feels clunky. I'm adding all these points to stats and gaining talents in dribs and drabs-gaining a level isn't exciting at all.
- My silent dwarven hero is a stark contrast to fully-voiced Shepard in ME2. I know this will change in DA2, but it makes conversation have gaps that break up the flow.

I could go on, but every time I try to fire this up, I think "ugh" and play The Witcher (speaking of putting on shirts) or Fallout 3 instead.
I totally feel the same way. I am trying to power through it since Helv keeps telling me about it. But everytime I play I just get annoyed or overwhelmed. I honestly had more fun playing goofy games like Front Mission. Now Fallout:NV is out and Fable next week it may be a while before I beat it.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
I got through DA:O and DA:A without much micro-management... playing on Easy difficulty. If all you want to do is experience the story, that's the way to do it. The character tactics that the game assigns by default are good enough for everything but the toughest boss encounters (though I had to tweak Leilani from "Default" to "Ranged").
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
I got through DA:O and DA:A without much micro-management... playing on Easy difficulty. If all you want to do is experience the story, that's the way to do it. The character tactics that the game assigns by default are good enough for everything but the toughest boss encounters (though I had to tweak Leilani from "Default" to "Ranged").

yeah, that had been suggested to me. Unfortunately I don't care THAT much about the story-I was hoping challenging, deep gameplay would compel me to keep playing. I like the story just fine, and Bioware does well at storytelling, but one piece without the other isn't cutting it in a sea of better options.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »
It's true--once a game gets into your backlog, it rarely comes out. I still have a couple games from 2 Christmases ago.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »
I ended up using 2 mages, 1 ranged rogue, 1 tank.

I had one mage set on a custom set of instructions as a range blaster.  The other mage was set as healer and ranged tactical control -- I'd often drive from her but whenever I wasn't controlling her she was set to aggressively heal.  Often at the beginning of a battle manually control both mages to set up initial AoE effects and control.  Having tactics sets that made it so my mages preferred neutralizing enemy mages made a big difference.  Having my healer with the abilities to do CC effects also made me need to manage the other characters much less.

I did find I redid the tactics for everyone and it made things much better.  I pretty much never controlled the rogue or the tank other than to tell the tank not to charge in while opening AoE was happening.  

I've not tried this on harder modes though.  I suspect that if I used a melee rogue I'd have to be a lot more micromanaging if I wanted to use a mage.

~~~~

I did have the same reaction early in the game though.  Before you have many abilities and tactics slots to program the abilities its pretty meh.  Once you get enough of each it gets good.  A bunch of the prereq abilities are pretty iffy which makes the early game unimpressive.  Not to mention several of the characters start with sort of dumb talent selections which is something you can fix one of the respec mods if you inclined.

There are also some weird scaling bits.  Attempting to convert it to wow terms, it was as if when were level 6-10 you got all level 9 mobs, and then from levels 11-15 you got level 14 mobs.  It meant when you ticked over from level 10 to 11 mobs would get hugely more difficult for several fights.  Later in the game this was a lot less noticeable since you had a lot more levels and it was a much smaller relative power level jump (a 5 level enemy power jump is a big deal at level 10, not so much at level 75), but early in the game it would sometimes result in disproportionately hard fights for short time periods. (Like an early fight against an enemy mage, where he is up a hill, behind snaring traps, with melee thugs and casts a fireball that would one shot 2 of my 4 party members as his first action every attempt at the fight; when I replayed through a second game the fight was trivial because I'd done a couple more side quests first and was slightly higher level so instead of one-shotting half the party we got a chance to heal. )

I guess what I'm saying is that the later game play is much better than the early game play.