Author Topic: Changing from Ventrilo to Mumble? Discuss.  (Read 5205 times)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
Re: Changing from Ventrilo to Mumble? Discuss.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
I can also pretty easily swap the server from vent to mumble for a trial period if folks decide they're curious.
Just let me know!

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
I personally had trouble getting Mumble to work, and never figured out what the issue was even after getting it to work, so I hate it.

I'm sure I'm in the vast minority, though.
o/\o

Leahnidas

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »
As Mish noted, THG started using Mumble some time ago (I think it was toward the end of Wrath?) but I've never seen the benefit. This may be in part to having a lot of issues with our guild's Mumble server but for me it was a thing of never having had a problem with Vent so the switch to Mumble didn't really make sense. I guess I understand the whole normalization thing but it was never too big of a pain for to manually adjust so...

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 05:41:29 AM »
I personally had trouble getting Mumble to work, and never figured out what the issue was even after getting it to work, so I hate it.

I'm sure I'm in the vast minority, though.

+1. I could not get Mumble to work at all on Windows XP and when I tried again on Windows 7 all I got was horrible screeching noises.  I tried debugging it with help from people online and various guides I read on the Web but my best effort just resulted in a loss of all mic capability, which I had to fix by de-installing Mumble and rebooting.  It may be some interaction with my Realtek sound driver, but I updated that and nothing changed, so... *shrug*

Ozara

• Three Rivers Member
  • Shiba-Inus are better than you.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »
I didn't tinker too much with mumble when I used it; however, I found the sound quality/control to be poorer on mumble. I got a lot more static, background noise, and spikey sounds. But, this could all be because I didn't tinker with it...
Yuinergos - Anubrisnaruu - etc.

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Three Rivers Member
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »
Someone will have to help me figure out why I can't get people to hear my on Mumble. I installed it to play with Apert and his friends on Diablo. I just cannot figure what I am doing wrong.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »
Someone will have to help me figure out why I can't get people to hear my on Mumble. I installed it to play with Apert and his friends on Diablo. I just cannot figure what I am doing wrong.

Is it looking at the right input?

Click the Advanced checkbox in the settings, and make sure that mumble uses the correct input device
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:21:53 PM by **andius »
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 102),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 103)

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »
Without having spent a chunk of time trying to tune mumble, I was unimpressed with my ability to understand what people were saying.  And apparently I was very hard to hear for some but not all people.

Not saying I couldn't make it work, but it seemed a definite step down from Vent.

Eointhas

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 07:34:21 AM »
Well Ghos, it IS called "mumble".