Author Topic: Honor farming?  (Read 4787 times)

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
Honor farming?
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:57:43 AM »
So what are the favored ways to farm honor these days?

Wintergrasp quests are quite good, but I'm looking for a more consistent honor source.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: Honor farming?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:34:22 AM »
Wintergrasp is, for me, losing its luster. I can get 2 quests quickly knocked out inbetween matches (Kill Horde & Gather Drops), but have difficulty completing Victory (and thus Southern Sabotage) and Defending Demolishers. The last is especially difficult given the popular Horde strat of zerging Forward Workshops with superior numbers. Its just not fun to constantly fight at Tenacity 8.

The most successful honor farming right now, I believe, is planning your PvP either in the early morning or late at night. I have found typically Alliance sees most of its success on Vindication during those times. From there I would work the daily, then rotate BG's to fulfill Marks turn-ins.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:17:42 AM »
With the upcoming change* to marks, I've started hording them rather than turning them in.

Over the weekend I was having maybe a 70% win rate on the battlegrounds I did.  AB/AV/strand/WSG.  I think I did at least 3 or 4 of each.

I'll admit I'm still partially enamored of wintergrasp because its the pvp segment of the achievement system that I'm the closest to completing...  And because they keep putting top tier gear in buyable for the wintergrasp marks.  And an ilvl 251 shoulder itemized with agi/sta/hit is awesome for bear tanking and the haste/spellpower shoulder is very nice for resto-pvp when so few pieces of pvp gear have haste.

* - The change is that battlegrounds will stop giving marks.  However, they'll be adding NPCs that will take the old marks in exchange for honor.  On the PTR, the exchange rate is 1 BG mark for 2k honor.  I suspect they will decrease this exchange rate when it goes live just to prevent a huge influx of honor (and cheap epic gems).

As an aside, I believe the pvp mounts will be 50k honor per.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »
Run WG on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings for the best chance of winning, and thus completing more weekly quests.  Of course, those are also prime hours for getting the weekly raid quest done.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:21:32 AM »
SOoOOOOo. My favorite way to honor farm is defend stuff. Even if you are semi-AFK it still works. Either the stables in AB or one of the first two nodes in EotS. Often the Mage tower is better. I sitll play but you often have very little to do so Ill read something while I do it. On a side note, you get more honor from kills that way too. If you want to get lots of honor per work however (my way is for the semi-AFK group with lots of time). I have always found AV to be the money pot.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:31:20 AM »
I've actually found that healing on defense is often a lot of fun and very good honor.  Especially if you know which direction the horde will be coming from, hang back or slightly out of line of site from how the horde will be running in and heal.  Often the horde will get fixated on the people out front hitting them and just ignore you. 

Once you have pvp gear (which if you have an excess of badges you can get easily) its completely reasonable for a single rogue/warrior/melee class to generally be unable to kill a healer unless they outgear you or get very lucky.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
If you're playing on the PTR and can view the honor costs for PvP items, what will the cost of the PvP mounts be?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:02:30 AM »
If you're playing on the PTR and can view the honor costs for PvP items, what will the cost of the PvP mounts be?

I'm not playing on the PTR.  But I saw someone mention them costing 50k honor.

Andy

• Infraction Champions Member
  • Tanking mandatory, spanking optional.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58:10 AM »

I'm not playing on the PTR.  But I saw someone mention them costing 50k honor.

WoWInsider had screenshots. 50k per.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 06:40:52 AM »
A follow-up:

All six PvP mounts now cost 50K honor.

That turns out to be a very reasonable price. I find that the new random battleground system, coupled with increased honor rewards, really dumps honor on you.

When I use the random honor system, I get about 3K honor per battle, even if I'm on the losing side. Tolerate that three times, and I get about 10K honor. Do that five days, I have 50K honor and a new mount.

Contrast that with the Argent Tournament mounts, which cost 100 Seals each. Since one typically earns 10 Seals/day, it takes 10 days to grind for each mount.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Malfeetsense

• Case of the Mondays Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
I'm sort of liking the "random BG" thing. I've been racking up loads of honor by running 3-4 of these a day. The only downside (for me) is for some BGs Ill go prot with loaded stam trinkets (WSG, AV) while for others I'll go as ret since I've got a healthy amount of resil. The random queue doesnt tell you what BG you're going into so I'm forced to commit to one spec ahead of time.
"I didn't grow up in the ocean -- as a matter of fact -- near the ocean -- I grew up in the desert. Therefore, it was a pleasant contrast to see the ocean. And I particularly like it when I'm fishing." --George W. Bush

Yharon

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
The random queue doesnt tell you what BG you're going into so I'm forced to commit to one spec ahead of time.

Unless something changed very recently, you can respec during the initial wait period in the BG itself. Although that's no help if you zone into one already in progress unfortunately.
smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 08:42:01 PM »
I finished getting my sixth PvP Honor mount this evening. This probably ends PvP for me until Cataclysm, when (I assume) Blizzard will introduce new mount- or pet-related achievements that require it.

Some observations from an amateur honor farmer using Random Battlegrounds:

- I almost always asked "Plan?" at the start of the Battleground. If I got a serious answer, even if it was simple (e.g., "Zerg blue" in Strand of the Ancients) the Alliance usually won. If I got no answer, or a bunch of jokes, the Alliance usually lost.

- I only spent honor on mounts. However, I also had Emblems of Triumph that were now useless to me, since I'm already up to ICC10/Frost-Emblem gear, and I've bought all the Heirloom gear I needed. So I used the Emblems of Triumph to buy PvP gear.

I assume it was "last season's gear," but it got my resilience up to 337. I didn't accumulate stats, but it did seem to take them a little longer to kill me than in my resilience 0 PvE gear. I didn't bother to gem or enchant the PvP gear.

- Although it varied widely, it seemed to me that the average amount of honor for a lost game was about ~3K; the average amount of total honor for a game we won was about ~10K, if it was my first win of the night.
Bill Seligman

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 09:22:49 AM »
I keep trying to get out, but they keep pulling me back in.

I'm going for Tabard of the Achiever. It turns out that it's faster to get three tabards (Private's Tabard. Knight's Colors, and Stormpike Battle Tabard) through PvP. The total cost of those tabards is 50K honor; at 10K/day that's five days of grinding.

To buy any of the Tournament tabards costs 50 Champion's Seals, which means 5 days of grinding per tabard.

Back to the Battlegrounds for five days!
Bill Seligman

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 09:30:47 AM »
I keep trying to get out, but they keep pulling me back in.

I'm going for Tabard of the Achiever. It turns out that it's faster to get three tabards (Private's Tabard. Knight's Colors, and Stormpike Battle Tabard) through PvP. The total cost of those tabards is 50K honor; at 10K/day that's five days of grinding.

To buy any of the Tournament tabards costs 50 Champion's Seals, which means 5 days of grinding per tabard.

Back to the Battlegrounds for five days!

And in another year we will see "Justicar Winston"...