Author Topic: Discount deals on games  (Read 184322 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Discount deals on games
« Reply #975 on: March 05, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »
Is there an interest in seeing short-term stuff? Like, GOG has started posting "72 hour" sales. I imagine some (most?) people wouldn't see a notice until the sale was expired. But we did do some daily postings for the Steam sales, back in the day, so I ask.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #976 on: March 06, 2020, 07:10:59 AM »
I think it's fine to post about something short-term, but there are a lot of sales and giveaways out there (see https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/ ).  At this point I only post if I see a particularly good deal on a game I've heard some buzz about, or if there's a new particularly interesting category of deals like the Epic store giveaways.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #977 on: March 13, 2020, 12:20:13 PM »
Borderlands 3 is available on Steam for a "limited time launch price" of $30, half off retail. Various other editions with DLC and perks are available for more.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #978 on: March 23, 2020, 11:21:05 AM »
Watch Dogs and The Stanley Parable are free on the epic store until March 26.

Watch Dogs was a major release, although I remember people being disappointed in it.  The Stanley Parable got rave reviews but is more of a concept game.  (Fittingly, I can't figure out if I have played The Stanley Parable or not.  I definitely played an partial version of it that was available for free years ago.  Steam says I own it but haven't played it.)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #979 on: April 05, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
The current free games on the Epic store (until early April 9) are Gone Home, Hob, and Drawful 2.

People have likely heard about Gone Home.  It's well-regarded, but primarily a story rather than a game, and heavy on the feels.  I haven't played it yet.

I've played Hob for about ten minutes and I'm kind of hooked.  It's one of those games that uses a bare minimum of words, and also one of those games where your character has a complex relationship with a giant robot.  I believe it's a 3D game with some platforming, some combat, and some puzzle elements.

Drawful 2 is a party game.  People I know seem to enjoy it, but it's ideally played by people who can draw just a little bit but not too well, and I'm well beneath that bar.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #980 on: April 15, 2020, 07:02:21 AM »
Sony is giving away The Uncharted Collection and Journey for PS4: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/14/announcing-the-play-at-home-initiative/

The giveaway starts tonight at 11pm eastern and runs until May 5, but as with Epic store deals, as long as you claim the games during that window they're yours.  The Uncharted collection includes the first three games; the fourth one happens to be free on PS Plus right now but that's a subscription service.  Journey sounds like a short, artistic game focusing on exploration.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #981 on: April 16, 2020, 08:10:52 AM »
Epic is giving away Just Cause 4.  The game was not particularly well-received, but it's still a big giveaway.

(Also Wheels of Aurelia, which I've never heard of.)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #982 on: May 07, 2020, 10:47:04 AM »
Normally Epic announces their free games one week in advance, but this week they have a "mystery game" teaser picture, suggesting a triple-A game: https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status/1258412761903779841/photo/1

The combination of a vault image with prominent gears suggests a Borderlands game (because Gearbox)--either Borderlands 3, the Handsome Jack Collection, or both.  Gears of War (made by Epic) is also a possibility.  Fallout games also use vault and gear imagery.  I saw one person guess Frostpunk based on the aesthetic.

(This week's free game is Death Coming, which looks like a mobile game retrofit.  Could be amusing, but I wouldn't have bothered posting about it.)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #983 on: May 14, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »
The free Epic game this week is GTA 5.  The vault image turns out to have been representative of a generic mystery game, not a hint.  The same logo is being used for next week's game.

GTA 5 is still a big giveaway.  Either coincidentally or as a result of the game choice, the Epic store is really hosed right now.  The web site is giving 403s, and the store app either gives 500 errors or loads in a randomly selected language.   Once I got Spanish I was able to navigate well enough to claim the game and start downloading it.

ETA: Epic is also having a "mega sale" for the coming four weeks, with a regenerating $10 coupon applicable to games priced at $14.99 or higher.  So, for instance, Borderlands 3 can be bought for $20 with the coupon since it's now priced at $30.  The four free games during this period (including GTA V this week) will probably be AAA games, so it may make sense to wait until June 3 before buying anything.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 10:12:59 PM by Marco »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #984 on: May 15, 2020, 09:14:59 AM »
I got GTA V through this deal. Either for this game, or for these deals, they require you to have 2FA. It's simple to turn on and probably wise anyway.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #985 on: May 16, 2020, 10:57:06 AM »
I looked for high-profile games priced at $5 with the regenerating $10 coupon and found threetwo:

* Witcher 3 GOTY edition
* Assassin's Creed Origins
* Far Cry 5; also:
  - Far Cry New Dawn (a sequel to 5) is $6 with coupon
  - Far Cry 4 is $12, so the coupon doesn't apply
  - Far Cry Primal (a sequel to 4) is $6

People on reddit don't think there's much risk of on-sale games being among the free games given away during the Epic sale.  No harm in waiting if you're not going to play the game right away, though.

ETA: Witcher 3's price changed from $14.99 to $14.98 so that the coupon wouldn't apply.  Likely the publisher's decision, not Epic's, since Epic had specifically tweeted out the $5 price yesterday (tweet is now deleted).  In this case I guess there was harm in waiting.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:27:48 AM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #986 on: May 21, 2020, 09:11:42 AM »
This week's free Epic game is Civ 6.

There was an alleged leak that predicted Civ 6 this week, Borderlands Handsome Collection next week, and Ark Survival Evolved in the final week of the mega sale.