Author Topic: Discount deals on games  (Read 117683 times)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
Re: Discount deals on games
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
2 deals I just partook in from Direct-2-Drive:

Civ 4 Complete (with all 3 expansions): $9.95
Titan Quest + Expansion: $4.95 (Diablo/Torchlight gameplay)

Also, I just snagged Borderlands on Stema for $30, but I don't think that's a sale.
o/\o

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
On Steam:
* A bunch of cheap Civ III and IV deals
* Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for "only" $50 (down from $60)

On Direct2Drive:
* Mass Effect 1 and 2 for $35
* Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines for $10
* Fallout 3 for $15
* Some so-so action RPGs

Given the reported brevity of its single-player campaign, Modern Warfare 2 is going to have to drop to $5 before I grab it, I think.  Fallout 3 is worth more than $15 (though it falls victim to economic plentitude as you go on) if you haven't played it yet.  Bloodlines (a 2004 game) did okay in reviews; I'm just not sure if I already own it.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
dammit, I got civ on d2d when I'd rather have it through steam. BUYER'S REMORSED.

I was definitely considering Vampire: BL. I've always wanted a decent Vampire-based game, and this is way better than the first PC one.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 08:08:17 AM »
Bloodlines is interesting; Avi played it and I watched her play it. It's well-written and allows you to play all kinds of different characters (although it does fall prey to the problem where sometimes you get railroaded into combat) but it also suffers from bugs and general slowness. On more modern computers it might run better, but at the time there were some serious slowdowns on Avi's computers.

One thing I will say for it, it's got some of the best in-game television and radio ads I've ever heard. Terrorists are going to blow up America's biggest dam...again. Hoover Dam 2. With that guy from the first movie, and that girl from the TV show you sometimes watch. The best dam movie you'll see this summer.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Uan

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 07:26:48 AM »
Damn Steam and it's cheap, cheap deals!  I forgot that Civ, any Civ really, eats my soul.  I only spent about nine hours yesterday playing the Fall From Heaven 2 mod and don't know whether I need to uninstall and forget it ever happened or get back there and start playing again RIGHT NOW.

Anyone who claims WoW is addictive doesn't have a large enough frame of reference.

Razov

• MKFL
  • Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 07:51:21 AM »
If i'm not mistaken Newegg.com has Mass Effect 2 for 27.99. I think it ends today. but its not a bad deal for it.
Because he thought it was good sport. Because some gnomes aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some gnomes just want to watch the world burn.

Versachi

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 09:38:44 AM »
I too have fallen for the Civ IV deal....

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »
Portal is currently free on Steam. I know that everyone and their sister knows that the cake is a lie, but what with the Mac client only being released today....

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 11:43:17 AM »
Oh dear.  Are you saying Portal is available for the Mac now?  That looked like a really good game.

Steam is...  some program you download, and from there, you can buy a zillion games to play?  Sorta an itunes/app store for video games made by $manufacturer, whoever they are?
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »
Yes and yes.

Of course, I just tried to actually download Portal, and I got a server busy message. Might have to wait a bit. Maybe I'll try again during raid.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 03:24:43 PM »
The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 03:29:59 PM by Gwyddyon »
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Ozara

• Three Rivers Member
  • Shiba-Inus are better than you.
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
dammit, I got civ on d2d when I'd rather have it through steam. BUYER'S REMORSED.

I was definitely considering Vampire: BL. I've always wanted a decent Vampire-based game, and this is way better than the first PC one.

Beyond the sword xpac made civ IV much easier...colonization is kinda hard since I only won once and could pretty much rape civ IV even with the difficulty turned up a few notches. I have colonization on the easiest setting and still lose--a lot.
Yuinergos - Anubrisnaruu - etc.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 07:26:11 AM »
my god, Colonization is exactly as I remember it with some new perks. Unfortunately my boats are taking a stupid way back from Europe (rather than appearing in the south by my colonies, they're appearing 7 turns north-just because I've explored the area).

Best $10 I've spent, even if it's not on Steam.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 07:38:41 AM »
I used to spam the competition with Privateers, preventing them from resupplying and effectively crippling them. Not sure if that still works, though.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 08:03:10 AM »
If nothing else, Civ IV is a platform for excellent games, like Fall From Heaven 2.

And Gwyd, that privateer strat still totally works.
o/\o