Author Topic: Discount deals on games  (Read 119951 times)

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
Re: Discount deals on games
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 10:16:31 PM »
Fallout 1 and 2 were amazing games.  If you can look past the dated graphics, you're in for a treat.

AdmiralShardy

• Ahoy!
  • Cupcakes Member
    • Twitter Account
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 02:30:25 AM »
The Witcher is on sale on Impluse for $10. Seemed to get some downbeat reviews from the ddcc community but for $10 I'm gonna give it a whirl.

The Witcher is an awesome game.  It starts out a bit slow but gets better as you go along.  Just make sure you get/download the enhanced edition stuff, which greatly improves the translation and things like loading times.
Admiral Shardrell, Retired Nelfy Pirate
Julia Cappo, Active Guild Wars 2 Pirate.  I like pirates.
Twitter: @BeckyCFreelance

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 12:28:29 PM »
Brotherhood of steel is theoretically a turn-based tactical squad wargame set in the Fallout universe (Similar to Jagged Alliance or Silent Storm if you ever played those). They made some questionable implementation decisions though, and the level design is generally overly-linear and kind of poor.

I give the Witcher 3 and a half stars. It's very long, so it's a great value, and it's fun to play if you can overlook some of the misogyny.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
Brotherhood of steel is theoretically a turn-based tactical squad wargame set in the Fallout universe (Similar to Jagged Alliance or Silent Storm if you ever played those).

You may be thinking of Fallout: Tactics.  Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is an action RPG, one of the many derivative games which followed on the heels of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.  It was pretty humdrum but might be worth a play-through.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »
Brotherhood of steel is theoretically a turn-based tactical squad wargame set in the Fallout universe (Similar to Jagged Alliance or Silent Storm if you ever played those).

You may be thinking of Fallout: Tactics.  Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is an action RPG, one of the many derivative games which followed on the heels of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.  It was pretty humdrum but might be worth a play-through.

yeah, that was the one for consoles. It was a decent enough fun time for me and my roommate to duo.

This game in the package is FO:Tactics, though. Yes, it's confusing, but FO:T's subtitle was Brotherhood of Steel (since you're playing candidates for the brotherhood fighting your way through the middle of the country), not to be confused with Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, the action RPG. Or maybe to be confused.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 06:09:10 AM »
I didn't figure that Steam would sell console games to my PC so I figured it was the strategy game  ;D
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Uan

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 09:38:20 AM »
The idea of the Witcher was awesome, the graphics were decent, the game play was decent post-patch to stop it crashing, and it was apparently written by the same 14-year-old boy who wrote Star Wars Ep. 3.  I have minor philosophical objections to having her trading card pop up on screen when you talk a woman into sleeping with you, but I have major objections to being able to talk women into sleeping with you using those dialog options.

It was not long before I wanted to commit violent acts of butchery to my avatar, thereby saving the female population of that world the shame of having such poor taste that they were willing to sleep with him and I stopped playing after it became clear that finding new and violent ways for him to die wasn't nearly as entertaining as going and playing Mass Effect.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:42:16 AM by Uan »

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 10:18:07 AM »
The idea of the Witcher was awesome, the graphics were decent, the game play was decent post-patch to stop it crashing, and it was apparently written by the same 14-year-old boy who wrote Star Wars Ep. 3.  I have minor philosophical objections to having her trading card pop up on screen when you talk a woman into sleeping with you, but I have major objections to being able to talk women into sleeping with you using those dialog options.

It was not long before I wanted to commit violent acts of butchery to my avatar, thereby saving the female population of that world the shame of having such poor taste that they were willing to sleep with him and I stopped playing after it became clear that finding new and violent ways for him to die wasn't nearly as entertaining as going and playing Mass Effect.

So....you liked it?
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Hjorolf

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »
Now D2D has Borderlands on sale for 50% off ($24.95), or the 'Triple Pack' with two addons for $44.95. Another game to buy and download for some time in the future...

(Actually, since the addons are $9.95, you lose $0.10 buying the bundle.)

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 06:18:33 AM »
Steam also has borderlands for $25. No special for the addons. But still a good deal! Must be a Borderlands palooza.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 12:41:47 PM »
The Deus Ex games are back on sale at Steam, and this time Invisible War is available alone for $2.50.  I'm scooping it up at that price.

The original Deus Ex is also available for $2.50 if you haven't played it.  (The graphics are outdated at this point but it's still a good game.)

ulveig

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 01:37:36 AM »
Steam is the best and worst thing that's ever happened to me.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »
On Steam right now, GTA: San Andreas for $5, GTA: Vice City for $2.50, or thirteen Rockstar games (including Bully, GTA IV, and Episodes) for $42.50.

Not sure whether I'm getting SA or the whole package.

Direct2Drive has a bunch of 50% and 75% off, but nothing looks super-interesting.  (Torchlight for $10, but if you haven't gotten it for $5 or $10 by now then you probably don't want it.)

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »
Steam has all the Codemaster racing games 75% off, and a whole package deal thing.

This includes Dirt, Dirt 2, Grid, Fuel and Toca Race Driver 3.

The Dirt series is a pretty solid arcade off road racing game.  If you're looking for a real rally experience you might be a tad disappointed at the short stages, but the games, particularly dirt 2 are absolutely gorgeous, and the racing is easy enough to pick up since the controls/physics are pretty forgiving and arcadey.

Grid is also pretty solid, they have a decent cross-section of cars and race types.  If you're looking for a real in depth sim game you'll be disappointed, but it's like "DIRT" on pavement.  Arcadey-sim lite style racing.

Fuel I've played a demo of and wasn't impressed.  The world is huge, but the graphics are splotchy and the driving mechanics just don't click right.  The tracks are somewhat littered with annoying obstacles that can completely hose your rune.  Though it's for sale for like 5 bucks, and it's probably worth that much.

Toca I haven't tried and will likely be picking up with this deal, even if it is an older game. :)

....I'm not sure how many other racing game players are on these boards and would care about this though.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
When I worked at the game store, we had a couple customers who absolutely lost their shit for Toca. So I'm guessing if you like it, then you REALLY like it.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori