Author Topic: Discount deals on games  (Read 83289 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Discount deals on games
« on: February 26, 2010, 03:00:47 PM »
I haven't been seeing a huge parade of deals on good games since the end of Christmas season, but one notable one just floated by: Batman: Arkham Asylum for $12.49, until the end of February.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/games/pages/sales.aspx

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Discount deals on games
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:34:29 AM »
Right now on Steam:

Deus Ex for $5
Deus Ex, Deus Ex 2, and three Hitman games for $17

and some variations thereof (including a bundle of two $5 Deus Ex games for $12, which is a bit of an oops).

Deus Ex is an old FPS which is known for having a good story, some RPG elements, and a significant amount of choice in gameplay (stealth vs. brute force vs. technology).  The graphics are blocky by today's standards but I thought it was a good game when I played it last year.  I haven't played the sequel, but it's  supposedly more of a run of the mill shooter.  I haven't played any Hitman games.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:56:50 AM »
Thats freaking awesome. Im also interested in seeing what is going to be the Square Enix portion of the discount week. But yeah Hitman and Deus Ex are great. Never played Deus Ex 2. But I would suggest if you have the time Marco to try out hitman. Very neat.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »
Deus Ex 2 is not irredeemably terrible (despite what some would say). But compared to the first game, it's like when you drive a Porsche for a year and then get in Volkswagen Beetle. It's just nowhere near the quality of the original.

However, I still consider Deus Ex the best game ever made (even now). But then, I got it the day it came out, played it til 6am some nights (something I never do) and eventually wrote a Gamefaqs FAQ on it.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »
Deus Ex also sits on top of my alltime list of favorite games.  It is an amazing experience through and through that has yet to be matched by anything I've played to date.

The graphics are definitely dated and the combat mechanics are pretty clunky, but the level of immersion and just how many ways you can approach situations, and how what you choose actually has impact?  Modern games are still trailing this one.  Phenomenal game.

Deus Ex 2 is not an awful game.  However compared to the first?  It fell so, so far it was one of the biggest disappointments ever.

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Three Rivers Member
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:30:34 AM »
Gwyd finally convinced me to give it a shot and I am terrible at first person shooter. I absolutely loved it.

Mr. Tring

• Party Pooper
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I'll throw my 2 cents in as well on this. I really loved Deus Ex, was a great game and one of the few games that kept me interested enough to play through multiple times. My brother and I were totally geeking in advance of the sequel when it came out but we both just kinda went 'Eh...' after playing it, then went back and played the original some more.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 10:57:33 AM »
Tomb Raider games (meh) and The LAst Remnant on sale today on Steam. I am interested in Last Remnant considering the much improved reviews it got on PC compared to console.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Hjorolf

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:11:38 AM »
Mass Effect 2, regular and deluxe editions, are both $20 off this weekend at Direct2Drive($30/$40). I haven't even finished ME1 yet, and my game time is being eaten by X3 Terran Conflict, but I figure I'll pick it up for when I do get around to it.

I'm not sure if the deluxe version is worth $10 or not- that'll probably depend on how crazy I feel when I get around to actually buying.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 04:17:21 PM »
Torchlight for $5 this weekend on Steam for those who missed it like me.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
DON'T REMIND ME
o/\o

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 12:27:38 AM »
DON'T REMIND ME

Hey Frank, do I ever have a deal for you!

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 07:06:27 PM »
Also Gamestop has a sell this weekend on a package called the Fallout Trilogy. Contains Fallout 1, 2, and something called Brotherhood of Steel. But its only $10. Fallout 2 would be worth that to me since I never got to play it. So just a heads up.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 08:00:59 PM »
Fallout Tactics Brotherhood of Steel was very confusing and not as fun as Fallout 2. $10 is worht it for 1 and 2, though.
o/\o

Mr. Tring

• Party Pooper
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 08:52:23 PM »
The Witcher is on sale on Impluse for $10. Seemed to get some downbeat reviews from the ddcc community but for $10 I'm gonna give it a whirl.