Author Topic: Warlock Tune-up  (Read 4681 times)

Andy

• Infraction Champions Member
  • Tanking mandatory, spanking optional.
Warlock Tune-up
« on: June 24, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »
So, I'm looking at my warlock and want to get some other opinions on gear, talents, glyphs, and whatnot. So, in no particular order:

(1) Glyphs

Right now, I'm using Felguard/ Incinerate/ Immolate as my major glyphs. In doing some online looking around, there are some writeups that mention Lifetap, Metamorphosis, and Quick Decay. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these other glyphs. I can see why people would use them; Lifetap has the nice spellpower buff, Metamorphosis has the additional 6 seconds of firepower every 3 minutes, and Quick Decay works the odds on obtaining more Molten Core procs.

I used to have the Lifetap glyph, but I was always hazy about keeping it up. I have finally figured out how to make new buff groups on Elkano's Buff Bars, so bringing it back could be a possibility by putting it on the special buff bar.

Metamorphosis has the appeal of 2 immolation auras, a solid boost to dps. But from reading notes on WoWhead, it seems like a loser compared to Quick Decay.

Quick Decay takes my decent haste and turns it into additional chances to proc Molten Core. The additional castings of those spells adds a solid dps boost in time periods beyond Metamorphosis.

So, in my reading, I'm thinking of swapping Lifetap back in (now that I have a reliable way to track it) and Quick Decay.

(2) Talents

In looking at my build, is Master Summoner necessary? I know you need to spend 2 points to get further down that chart at that point, but would it be better spent on a bigger Healthstone? Will I be replacing a pet on-the-fly that often in raids?

(aside: is Mana Feed really that absolutely worthless? I noticed my Felguard running out of mana in protracted encounters, but then I'm missing out on Cleave [and the occassional intercept])

(3) Gear

I've looked over WoWhead and compared it to my current gear; there are a few upgrades from heroic ICC 5 mans but much beyond that without going into raid content. I don't have much gold so I can't buy my way to better gear as easily. Any suggestions or pointing out stuff would be greatly appreciated. (I'm an engineer/miner.)

Is there some piece of equipment that I don't have that I should be saving my BoFs for?

(4) Rotation

So, in parsing them together the ones I've seen:

Demonic Empowerment > CoD/CoE or CoA > Corruption > Immolate > Shadow bolt*
*Replace Shadow Bolt with Incinerate when Molten Core is proc'd.
*Replace Shadow Bolt with Soul Fire when Decimation is active.

(I have macro's Demonic Empowerment to certain frequently cast spells. Same for my Hyperspeed Accelerators on my gloves.)

My other question is using Metamorphosis. Use it every time it's available? Can I save it for boss fights in heroics? Should I start fights with it? Or just the very vague best judgment?

That oughta do it. Thanks.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Warlock Tune-up
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
There are a lot of situations where you can't productively use immolate aura, making the metamorphosis glyph kind of a lose even if it worked out mathematically (which I believe it doesn't).  Felguard, quick decay, and life tap are the best ones for demo according to the current simulationcraft thread.  Glyph of life tap lasts 40s now, so it's not too hard to keep up.  One more thing to keep track of, though.

Master Summoner is generally not necessary for PvE.  If your pet dies you may regret not taking it, but that almost never happens to me.

As for when to use metamorphosis: usually, whenever you have the threat cushion to make use of it.  I don't use it often on trash as it tends to kill me.  On boss fights I use it whenever it's up, unless I anticipate needing extra DPS at some specific point during the fight.  You may want to save your second meta (or third depending on the length of the fight) for execute range.

Olli

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
What Marco said regarding glyphs. Immolation Aura is probably hot for 5-mans and such but in raids I'm rarely in melee range and don't have a good way of getting there (and then need to get back out). There are people who use Demonic Charge/Demonic Circle to do that but it hardly seems worth it, and there's obviously fights where just deciding you feel like being in melee is kind of a bad idea.
Life Tap is very manageable if you set up a way to track it like it was a DoT, in my experience.

I lose my pet on Sindragosa, but other than that, I generally have to screw up to be glad I have Master Summoner. I imagine it's part of cookie cutter builds since if you DO need it, it's huge (kind of like Imp Reincarnate) but if you find you never need it for the content you do, I imagine it's fine to skip it.

Regarding rotation, looks like you have it right. In the real world you will often get to abuse Decimation procs because of add fights, the Blood Princes mechanic where they sit at 1% health, etc. so it's good to have a way to watch for them. There used to be some debate about whether to keep DoTs up under 35%; my understanding is that you do, since Immolate has better DPET than Soul Fire and Corruption procs Molten Core which benefits Soul Fire. I use NeedtoKnow to monitor MC/Decimation; Power Auras would also work depending on how you like your information displayed.

Regarding gear - I think you have it right searching for ICC5 upgrades (necklace, offhand, etc.) If people were still punching Ony regularly I'd say get her head and get that ring to replace the mp5 one, but it's probably not a big deal especially if you can do enough ICC raids to get to Friendly and just get that one. With limited frost badge income I'm not sure what to recommend; the tier gear is great but makes more sense as you can move towards 4pc at a decent clip. (I'd have to check a simulator to tell you if 2pc T9/2pc T10 beats 4pc T9 for demo. I THINK it does.) The badge trinket is crappy, you probably don't want the cloak right away since you have a decent PVP one...the belt is a nice item...but you might want tier pieces first. Unlike a lot of people I help with gear you seem to have a clue as to where your hit cap is, so just tweak around that and you'll be fine.

Edit: I also got a lightweight mod called DemoPact recently. It's not going to tell you how to be a better warlock or do your dishes, but it does show you how much spellpower DP is giving and its uptime. It's useful for feeling useful and/or convincing skeptics that the DP buff is important for optimization. (Also, if a caster spreadsheet user wants to know what level of buff they get from that during a raid, and if you're at all concerned about what the uptime of DP is on a given fight.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:29:47 PM by Olli »

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 03:55:30 PM »
Unlike a lot of people I help with gear you seem to have a clue as to where your hit cap is, so just tweak around that and you'll be fine.

...That said, 13.42% is under the cap with no talents and no Draenei, assuming you have a moonkin or spriest (you would in ANR). Olli and Marco and Wren are way more advanced than I, and I would run SimulationCraft to confirm, but I'd say get the [wow]Ward of the Violet Citadel[/wow] or another hit pieces and start swapping your SP/hit gems with SP or SP/Haste gems.

I'm not too sure, but I think pure SP would be better to gem for than SP/Spi in some blue slots, as long as you have 2 for the meta. Again, use SimulationCraft to get your scalar values for stats. For Tumblebum (who is admittedly Aff/Destro), even with Glyph of Life Tap, SP/Spirit wasn't worth gemming for unless there was a 7 SP or better bonus per blue slot.
o/\o

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »
Almost all the gear you'll pick up will have a spell power bonus for socketing gems so as long as you're running the life tap glyph usually the purified dreadstone is going to be your choice over the pure spellpower one if there's a blue socket. Basically you're just choosing what will give you the most spellpower,

To Calculate how much spellpower spirit converts into for you, use the following formula (stolen from EJ:
Spirit * 1.1 * 1.03 * ((0.3 * 1.3) + 0.2)

The formula is color coded because some parts of it may not apply to you, if the following does not apply to you, ignore the part of the formula in the corresponding color:
Buff: Blessing of Kings, Racial: The Human Spirit, Talent: Demonic Aegis, Glyph: Glyph of Life Tap.

I wouldn't worry about your hit right now you're so close to what you'll generally need and every upgrade you get is probably going to cause you to adjust it anyway. (Pretty much what Olli said) In fact revel in how close you are because for a while you'll probably be jumping between wildly under and wildly over as you replace gear :)

Last, I know the guides on EJ can be hit or miss but the warlock guides tend to be really well researched and organized and the demonology guide is quite nice:
 http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t100099-demonology_releasing_demon_you

It's a lot of reading but it's organized so you can use it as a quick reference too.

That's about all I've got, I could never really get into playing demonology in a raid environment so I have no tips on actual gameplay but I'm told it's quite fun on some of the fights.

Affliction 4 life!

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »
Taking that formula into account (and the fact that Vik is a gnome), 1 spirit is worth .649 spellpower to you. In a piece such as [wow]47786[/wow], you currently have 2 [wow]Purified Dreadstone[/wow]s in a Red and a Blue slot.

That still satisfies the gem requirements, so you get +7 SP. You have the following choices with this piece:

2 x [wow]Purified Dreadstone[/wow]: 31 SP + 20 Spi = 44 SP (43.98 rounded up)
1 x [wow]Purified Dreadstone[/wow] and 1 x [wow]Runed Cardinal Ruby[/wow]: 42 SP + 10 Spi = 49 SP (48.49 rounded up, which I think happens)
2 x [wow]Runed Cardinal Ruby[/wow] forgoing bonus: 46 SP

So this shows that the most SP for your gems is matching one blue slot if necessary in a Red + Blue piece, and in a 2x Blue piece like [wow]50805[/wow], it's still best to do 2x SP gems.

In [wow]Bejeweled Wizard's Bracers[/wow], you can gem for purple or pure red. with the +5 SP bonus, your choices are:

[wow]Purified Dreadstone[/wow] : 17 SP + 10 Spi = 24 SP (if 23.49 gets rounded up) or 23 SP (if 23.49 gets rounded down)
[wow]Runed Cardinal Ruby[/wow]: 23 SP

So in the case of 1 blue gem slot with a +5 SP or better bonus, it's at least equal to match the slot.

TL; DR: Match blue gems if 1 purple gem will get you +5 SP or more, go pure SP if you need more than 1.

But in reality, get your scalar values from SimulationCraft. It's a simple app with a GUI that grabs your data from the Armory and puts out a pretty html file with all your info. That's also how you would determine the value of Haste relative to SP for yellow gem slots.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:40:37 PM by Edalia »
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 02:36:56 PM »
Also, Andy, [wow]Seethe[/wow] Is probably the best 1h you'll find outside of raiding, so I'd slap +63 SP on it.
o/\o

Andy

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:38:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for their input. I've been at a conference the last few days and this is the first time vie checked the boards. In terms of enchants, I've just slapped on a cheap enchant since I was just doing dungeons, not raids. I can certainly upgrade some enchants as I transition into raiding form. I just need to read up on what to do as ranged dos for fights since I was only marginally paying attention to those positions unless people were in my way. =P

Andy

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 07:38:13 AM »
Ok, just curious:

For AoE: Seed, Rain of Fire, or (heh) Hellfire?

I've taken to casting Seed then using Rain of Fire, but that's only really in dungeon groups when I'm dicing around. I've only included Hellfire because using Immo Aura and Hellfire together in dungeons makes lots of numbers magically appear.

Danrith

• Huntard Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 08:03:26 AM »
I can't remember where I saw the math, but I'm pretty certain that spamming Seed on groups of 3+ is going to be your highest AoE damage.  Immo Aura when Meta is up obviously helps too.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 08:12:11 AM »
What I have read is:

* Don't use Hellfire.
  * If you're not destro, use Seed of  Corruption.
  * If you are destro, use Seed of Corruption or Rain of Fire.

My personal impression is that Seed of Corruption is more damage than Rain of Fire even for destro, although I wind up using Rain of Fire when it would take too long to select a target (e.g. rot worms).

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 08:25:28 AM »
what marco said, since they changed it so that the final blast also hits your target it's worth using as long as there's more than one mob ....honestly most of ICC trash is seed of corruption funtime.

Danrith

• Huntard Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 08:31:50 AM »
Found it!  If you're into the mathematical theorycraft there is a nice discussion in one of the E-J threads starting here.

Basically, Seed is going to be more damage except at currently unattainable levels of spellpower.  As Marco said, there may be situational reasons to use Rain of Fire.

Andy

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 06:01:56 AM »
Update:

Got some upgrades from my ANR app run. My hit has shot up to 16%; not necessarily a bad thing, but I can start replacing sp/hit gems with pure sp. Swapped my boot enchant for the engineering crit tinkering. Also purchased a new necklace (via PvP) and gotten the basic AV faction ring.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Earthen+Ring&cn=Viktoria

Andy

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 09:33:51 PM »
Got some additional upgrades (sanctified T10 stuff). Just need to put some gems in my hat and I'm good to go.

But, seriously, 20% hit? I can't get rid of any of it. I mean, it's nice to know I'll never miss again... =P