Author Topic: Arena Takes Skill...Or Raid Gear  (Read 2242 times)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
Arena Takes Skill...Or Raid Gear
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »
WoW PvP in Vanilla was all about high end raiders beating the snot out of Dungeon Heroes. This was due to the fact PvP gear simply did not exist, at least not in its current incarnation. The BG's were dominated by players with Perdition's Blades, Askhandi's, ect...

WoW PvP in TBC shifted more towards rated Arena gear. The shift was so strong that many players PvP'd in order to get gear to raid with (due to the quality being so similar).

In Wrath they found a better balance...sorta. The players who ONLY PvP do not have a gear advantage. The players who both raid (25 mans) and PvP have the advantage. This comes due to the overpowering nature of most raid gear when balanced with PvP resilience gear. Most notably the raid aspect is noticed by Humans and their Trinket spots. In the Tournament Realm, the top teams are all Alliance Humans (some exceptions) due to the availability of PvE Trinkets along with the other PvP gear.

That being said, here is a fun video of a Mage in full PvE gear. Are we at the point of S4 in TBC with PvE Geared Rogues with Illidan's Swords? You be the judge. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7fx1coqUuo

Combat Rogue 3v3. Full PvE geared with serious strats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOfaCN_UB_0

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:55:04 AM by Magorea »
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Arena Takes Skill...Or Raid Gear
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
wtf. Threat of invisible moonkin? Get Homeland Security on that, stat!

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:07:07 PM »
That will not save you Canadonians. In fact I think we'd deport any invisible moonkins to Canada, as they're pretty close to Sasquatch and Wendigo.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:30:25 PM »
*reflexively clicks need*

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
Are you saying that the two videos didn't demonstrate PvP skill? they looked skilled to me. I'm sure the Mage would have done very well in PvP gear as well, but he chose to do enough PvE to get 4pt10-more power to him. why not? it's not trivial to get that many badges.
o/\o

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:06:43 AM »
Are you saying that the two videos didn't demonstrate PvP skill? they looked skilled to me. I'm sure the Mage would have done very well in PvP gear as well, but he chose to do enough PvE to get 4pt10-more power to him. why not? it's not trivial to get that many badges.

Yes, I am saying the videos did not demonstrate PvP skill. Or, more specifically, they did not demonstrate anything other than a basic skill of loading up PvE DPS stats and killing other players before they can react.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:35:44 AM »

Yes, I am saying the videos did not demonstrate PvP skill. Or, more specifically, they did not demonstrate anything other than a basic skill of loading up PvE DPS stats and killing other players before they can react.

How is that not skilled? He lined up a bunch of CDs and killed people. If he couldn't kill them, he had to retreat and try a different strategy.

See, I take my PvP strategy from the old Trade Wars manual: yes, there are cheats in the game-if you refuse to use cheats, you are only hurting yourself. You don't get any Arena rating from honorable play (ironically).
o/\o

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 05:38:59 AM »
There's some skill involved in getting the drop on people, which is why the team in the video is at 2000 and not 3000.  It's just not very deep; there's not the same kind of action-and-response you can get from longer matches.

Think of rogue vs. rogue duels: a good rogue might win every time against a bad rogue, but the match isn't very exciting when you know who won based on who got the opener from stealth.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 06:29:38 AM »
You will have a hard time convincing me that pressing a couple buttons to explode people is an example of PvP skill.

Now, those videos are fun...and exploding people can be fun. But I certainly don't think I demonstrate great PvP skill when I 3 shot someone.

My definition of PvP Skill involves more than exploding people. The whole point of the videos were to show how "easy" Arena can be with PvE gear. Neither videos were created to show PvP skill, rather the potential of current PvE gear to overcome the purpose of resilience (to prevent people exploding before they have a chance to react).