Author Topic: <Warcraft> How much further can the story go?  (Read 90 times)

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
<Warcraft> How much further can the story go?
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:01:41 PM »
I've always enjoyed the story/lore aspect of WoW but I realize most people, at least on here, don't share that passion. For those who are into the story/world building, how much further do you think they can take the story? There's always the Horde/Alliance war to fall back on, sure, but in terms of big bads in the world at large, I feel like they're running low.

We're visiting the land of the dead next, taking on, presumably, Sylvanas and the Jailer. The Jailer is a new character but heavily leans into the trope of building importance by being the brains behind a well-established character's actions/motives. There's certainly a great deal of opportunity to play with important figures from the past since we're in the afterlife but I can see the novelty wearing off quickly if it gets abused.

After this expansion, that pretty much leaves the Void Lords as the only "real" threat to Azeroth and it's a story I'm looking forward to it. An argument could be made that we never got to fight Sargeras, or that all of the Old Gods we've killed weren't the only ones, or maybe a new dragonflight appears, but that is all rehashing where we've already been.

I'm just curious on others' opinions.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
Re: <Warcraft> How much further can the story go?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 06:32:12 AM »
or something could escape the Maw when we defeat the end boss in this expansion?
Andius(Ht50), Belandius(Pr50), Dalandius(War50), Drandius(Sh50), Elandius(R50), Vandius(M50), Deandius(DK50), Delandius(Drd50), Jinandius(Pal50), Shandius(Wk50), Kamandius(Mk50), Ishandius(DH50) Liandius(LF Pal(50) Venadius (Mk50), Klandius(Ht46), Diandius(R42) Mechandius (W22)

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 08:40:35 AM »
I don't think there's any theoretical limitation on how long the story can go, but from a practical standpoint the problem has been mostly mining stuff from established lore. Many of the big bads and overarching threats have been from the old games or plucked from novelizations. They can easily establish and build threats throughout the expansion(s)'s story lines, but that would require a level of pre-planning and foresight I'm not sure they have at this point. There are still enough "established" characters that they can have do whatever to gin up a reason for a new expansion.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 11:36:23 AM »
I think it depends on the degree to which you think the story of World of Warcraft is the story of Azeroth. We've already been off Azeroth for a dark portal, for Argus, and now we're getting an entire expansion off Azeroth. I think this establishes a precedent whereby any sort of threat can be manufactured through which we are taken off-world to entirely new environments. Some familiar characters come with us, maybe, or maybe it's just one Big Name NPC who goes along to be their faction's leader/guide.

Even the Hundred Years war had to end sometime so the on-Azeroth end of Horde/Alliance wouldn't surprise me so long as it came with some other thing over which we can compete. A new resource, getting new allies, different views on how to deal with a threat - there are lots of competition mechanics that don't require all-out faction competition but that allow local PvP both through scenarios and open-world.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 05:52:16 PM »
Taliesin suggests a possibility that is almost exactly the opposite of what I had been thinking. Potential spoiler?  Have some vertical space.

Really, I'm not sure how much wild speculation counts as spoiler, but anyway...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM_Yyl1E-90&t=82s&ab_channel=Taliesin%26Evitel
In his analysis of the cinematic, Taliesin points out that a lot of factions are awfully interested in the "world soul" of Azeroth. Whatever that is. If you think "oh, someone else is trying to kill Azeroth and we need an annoying crystal dwarf to nag us about it" then, yeah, that's been done. But if that thing is the prize it might be captured, and rescued, or transformed and need to be restored, or or or. You separate the "soul" from the physical location of Azeroth and you can have adventures anywhere that are some variant of "saving Azeroth". Presumably without its soul the world would... ?die? ?wither? ?be corrupted? Lots of options here. Even once the (original) soul is gone one might be able to save the world itself by assembling some kind of replacement. I haven't thought about it for more than ten minutes and I already see four or five expansions worth of possibility.