Author Topic: 9.0.1 transitional economic notes  (Read 120 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
9.0.1 transitional economic notes
« on: September 28, 2020, 07:15:22 AM »
There will be a more general 9.0.x thread, but there is specifically some interesting pre-patch raw gold stuff I have noticed.  Some of this may get noticed by Blizzard and changed before 9.0.1 goes live or shortly after; the gold-making potential for these isn't astronomical, but it may be enough to cause some inflation.

First up, Azerite gear has a vendor price on the PTR.  If you get a piece, maybe don't scrap it.  You can also turn your titan residuum into gold at about a 45% conversion rate by buying the lowest level of relinguished azerite chestpiece for 175 residuum and then vendoring them.  This can be done after the patch if nothing changes.  (Until recently the PTR was converting people's titan residuum to gold at a 1% rate on character copy, but this is no longer the case.)

Second, Relic of the Past vendor shuffles.  With the leveling squish, every expansion's crafting materials will be able to generate gear appropriate for the current max level, using an optional reagent called Relic of the Past V (also craftable with old materials from any expansion).  Gear crafted this way vendors at a value typical of current max-level gear.  As a consequence, the intrinsic raw gold value of old materials is substantially higher than it is currently.  For WoD, you can still generate these old materials at high rates through the garrison trading post.  There are a ton of different crafting options across the different expansions; this post has someone's analysis of the best ones.  The crafting time required to make gold this way is not trivial.

[Terminology notes: "raw gold" means gold coming from the game itself, not from other players via trades or the AH.  "Shuffle" means using crafting (or similar) to turn items into other items with higher value.  "Vendor shuffle" means the end value is coming from selling to a vendor.]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 08:57:09 PM by Marco »

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
Re: 9.0.1 transitional economic notes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 07:44:05 AM »
Regarding Relic of the Past stuff: This is indeed a lot of crafting time for a fairly minor gain. It's not nothing, and requires no effort to really do (just queue crafts and go AFK), but it's not going to be a magical gold fountain. It is also risky as they could just change the vendor prices abruptly.

It will almost certainly go in as a function, because as Marco said, with every expansion being 10-50 now, it's logical to have a route to manually set item level for most craftable equipment so it can be used at whatever point.

It's also important to note that while the mats to craft the Relics of the Past are cheap at the moment, the mats to take advantage of the Relics you make for maximum gold value are not--or are rare patterns. In most cases, you'll want to craft something originally low level because those are simple recipes, but many of those mats are somewhat expensive (Linen, for example).

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 10:02:02 PM »
The Relic of the Past vendor shuffle will not go live, it appears.  Vendor mats have been added to the relic recipes, making the raw gold cost of crafting a relic higher than the vendor price of the crafted gear.

https://www.reddit.com/r/woweconomy/comments/j6zdnb/relics_nerfed_sl_mats_now_required/

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 07:08:07 AM »
Not really terribly surprise by this, and it's why I only invested into really cheap materials.

I think they may have overshot a bit, though, and made this pretty impractical to use for any purpose. That adds up to be pretty pricey per slot while leveling--although the lower levels require fewer of the reagent. This isn't on the Shadowlands Beta itself, just the pre-patch PTR, so I'm going to assume this was a pretty hasty decision. I'd like to think this is a quick-fix while they come up with a more elegant solution, but they don't have the best record of adjusting vs. nuking things like this.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 07:26:02 AM »
I don't think the price point (around 120g for the highest-level relic) is enough to make it impractical for any purpose; it's less than you often get for a single BfA world quest, and a lot of people wouldn't blink at spending that much on a piece of gear for an alt, if the gear is useful enough to be worth the bother of crafting.  It's certainly more than I'd expect a new player to have accumulated during the leveling process, though.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 11:17:23 AM »
I mean, some people won't take a 3g flight path...

I think it's less about the cost in general and more about the cost on top of the mat cost versus what you can just gear-wise from questing. They thankfully appear to have done another pass through crafting since I last looked so that each expansion has at least some gear at a few points in the leveling process, which should help alleviate some of the pain of this system being less accessible for newer players/cheapskates.

I think it's a good system and idea and helps make crafting relevant, they just unfortunately didn't plan for the potential gold making. I don't think there was a HUGE long term risk here--old world mats having a price floor on the AH would probably help a lot of folks--but having each piece of Runecloth or whatever dropped adding 5-7g to the server economy definitely sounds scary. Not much worse than some of the other raw gold farms that exist and will continue to exist, but this would have certainly been more easily available and visible.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 10:55:07 AM »
Titan residuum is being converted to silver at the Shadowlands launch (and so is honor): https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/seasonal-resets-coming-with-shadowlands/717530/1

If you want to convert at the much favorable rate by buying ilvl 100 chests, the following macro can help significantly:

/run BuyMerchantItem(3, 1)
/use Relinquished Azerite Chestpiece

If the vendor is offering an essence in the first slot you may have to adjust the number 3.

Disenchanting the chests instead of vendoring them might be favorable, especially since you get 40 residuum refunded when you disenchant.  Crystal prices are high during these last two weeks, but you're still at the mercy of the AH; if you can't unload them before Shadowlands launch, the prices will probably crash.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:58:40 AM by Marco »