Author Topic: Shadowlands  (Read 1983 times)

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
Re: Shadowlands
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2020, 09:21:02 AM »
Those are fair points, but I disagree with equating the covenant (specifically the soulbind subset) to character creation. I understand that there's not a clean way to dump every talent/spell/ability combination in the character creation screen, and that understandably wouldn't make a lot of sense to new players without context. That's presumably why they made the class trial option so you can see those things.

There is already a way to preview soulbinds even outside of your sanctuary once you join. The interface and UI exist and has a hook already. There is a preview screen for SOME of the covenant aspects already when you're making that decision--it seems like a poor design choice to me when that interface exists and is accessible already.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2020, 12:54:12 PM »
Its ok. At the rate that they're nerfing soul binds, it'll just be a cosmetic choice by the time the 23rd rolls around anyways.

Problem solved!

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2020, 08:41:02 AM »
There's a bit of new information from interviews this week:

* Torghast layers will have gated unlocks.  For review: Torghast has six cell blocks with two open on any given week.  Each cell block has eight layers.  A layer has six floors.  When you finish a layer, you unlock the next layer in all cell blocks.  (The unlocks don't seem to be account-wide.)  You also get soul ash for that layer and all previous layers you haven't run that week for that cell block, so once you've unlocked a layer, you don't have to keep running the earlier ones each week.  Layers 1-3 will be unlocked initially, 4-6 when the raid opens, and 7-8 the following week when mythic opens.  Basically, less "mandatory" stuff to do in the first few weeks, and it may take a bit longer to acquire soul ash for the first legendary and its upgrades.

* There are two mounts that work in the Maw, one obtainable through Torghast (layer 8 of Twisting Corridors; I don't know when it will be realistic to finish that) and another obtainable through the Maw itself in an as-yet-unknown way.

* Mythic raid bosses will drop three items, down from five.  I assume there will be a similar 40%-ish reduction in loot quantity from normal and heroic bosses.  We've known the reasoning for this since the Blizzcon announcements; without warforging and titanforging to extend the tail of content rewards, players would reach BIS loot sets too quickly if loot drop rates don't scale back towards how they were in earlier expansions.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=319241/exclusive-shadowlands-interview-with-ion-hazzikostas-class-balance-covenants-sea
https://www.wowhead.com/news=319242/only-three-layers-of-torghast-available-at-shadowlands-launch
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:01:43 AM by Marco »

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2020, 12:15:52 PM »
It will be interesting to see how things go with less loot and static loot.

Obviously getting loot less often and having less control due to lack of bonus rolls is going to feel "worse."

Not chasing after absurd Titanforging will probably feel "better" for some folks.

I'm afraid that it's going to be one of those "can't put the genie back in the bottle" type of situations though. I remember how excruciating it was at the start of BFA trying to get a weapon... finally seeing a weapon WQ pop up only to find out it's hard-coded to a spec you don't play for your class, et cetera, all of which felt so much worse because we were used to the weapon slot being self-sufficient, more or less, in Legion and it being a large portion of your damage--even if that is significantly less true now than in historical WoW. That got a little less painful in future patches just due to the frequency of loot and already having a decent enough baseline, but I've got to imagine that's going to be a painful experience to go through for every slot.

It's a tough balance between "loot should matter" (which I do agree with) and "I've spent hours/days and have nothing to show for it."

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2020, 07:12:47 PM »
Something changed on live but I can't be arsed to figure out what. There's an hour maintenance scheduled for tomorrow morning and a whole bunch of mods needed to be updated.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2020, 10:00:35 PM »
If you had set the "load out of date mods" setting, that did get reset when the 9.0.2 patch went out on Tuesday, so you'd have to click it again.  But as far as I know it didn't actually break any mods.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2020, 10:10:21 AM »
There's a "God book" for Shadowlands: https://bit.ly/Medivh_guide_9_0_English .  This is a look at all of the systems from the perspective of a minmax mythic raider.  None of us here are that, but there are still some useful tips.  I took some of the statements with a grain of salt (like, how confident can someone be that a maw rat build is weak in Torghast?) but I didn't see anything obviously wrong.

I'll also throw this dungeon guide site out here since it's new and interestingly presented: https://mythictrap.com/

I don't have enough to say for a Shadowlands economy thread, so I'll say this here: I think gatherers are going to make out like bandits for the first couple of months of Shadowlands.  The initial economy will likely be driven by legendary base items and Darkmoon cards.  The former will create an unprecedented demand for cloth, leather, and ore, while the latter will create the usual early high demand for herbs.  The crafting professions that make legendary base items will learn the higher ranks by crafting a certain number of the lower ranks (and you have to repeat that process for each slot), which means there's a good chance that ranks 1-3 will sell on the AH for less than their material price early on.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:27:12 AM by Marco »

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »
FYI: Medivh put out something similar for BfA/Legion (at least). Like Marco said, take it with a grain of salt, but its a handy collection of things in one spot.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2020, 09:33:22 PM »
My notes from leveling:

* I didn't see too many technical problems and had no spawn bottleneck issues.  I think I had to look up three quests on wowhead for workarounds (like "disable nameplate mod temporarily" or "relog").

* Some of the non-elite mobs hit harder than they probably should in Revandreth and world quests.  I wouldn't be surprised to see an adjustment there.  I saw someone in general chat complain about graveyard placement, but I died three times while leveling and the graveyard was always close by.

* I got easily distracted by side quests in the first two zones and didn't go to Ardenweald until around level 57.  Keeping a laser focus on the campaign quests at that point got me to 60 shortly before the end of the campaign.

* Due to a bug, one of the cinematics in Ardenweald wasn't playing, near the end of the storyline.  If you've finished that zone, check out this to see if you missed it.

* Group finder apparently wasn't working usefully in the leveling zones due to a phasing setting.  This setting has been reverted except in the Maw, where you have to leave and go back in again to be in the same phase as the group leader.

* I decided to do the Maw in tank spec for now.  In DPS spec I could survive the basic mobs but couldn't really fight the bonus objective elites unless someone else was tanking them.  In tank spec I can solo the objective mobs without issue.

* Before launch I looked at my trinkets and swapped in my 130 Remote Guidance Device, because it was one of the few BfA trinkets not to get nerfed and it simmed reasonably well in 9.0 before the nerfs.  It has held up surprisingly well through level 60; it's only up every two minutes, but it can knock about half the health bar off of the average non-elite.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:36:56 PM by Marco »

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »
One thing I've run into where I'm basically ignoring all side quests and just following the mainline quests is I have hit a few gates where I need to be "X" level.  Each time it's only taken like one side quests and a few mob kills and I'm good.  It's probably a symptom of focusing only on the story quests and using stealth to skip a ton of unnecessary fights.

As an aside I'm a big fan of the icons that differentiate the story from the side quests so I know which ones I need to care about more.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2020, 11:16:38 AM »
I did all the side quest I entered Revendreth around about 59.5.

Being a hunter I had no problems taking down 3 player quest mobs even after I hit 60 (I had crafted some level 60 blue armor)

I only had to look up one side quest and that was the one you have to use some emotes but that was due to not being aware of /introduce.
Andius(Ht50), Belandius(Pr50), Dalandius(War50), Drandius(Sh50), Elandius(R50), Vandius(M50), Deandius(DK50), Delandius(Drd50), Jinandius(Pal50), Shandius(Wk50), Kamandius(Mk50), Ishandius(DH50) Liandius(LF Pal(50) Venadius (Mk50), Klandius(Ht46), Diandius(R42) Mechandius (W22)