Author Topic: 8.3.x stuff  (Read 1662 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: 8.3.x stuff
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 07:17:19 AM »
* wowhead made a guide to horrific visions.  In addition to being the only way to upgrade the cloak, it looks like a solo path to a high gear level, possibly only five item levels below mythic raid drops--though getting to that point will will probably take quite a while.  The overall structure feels off-kilter to me, and I wonder if there is a limit-and-catch-up mechanism that isn't currently visible on the PTR.
It looks like such a mechanism came in just under the wire: the maximum rank of the cloak will be capped at 5 in week one, 6 in week two, etc..  So it won't be possible to get the cloak to max rank until week 11 of the patch.  It's possible (and allegedly not difficult) to do each cloak upgrade quest in one horrific vision run, so being able to do up to three visions each week is a lot of slack.

There is another dimension of the cloak grind, which is corrupted mementos fueling titanic research and later being spent on adding sockets to gear.  There's no obvious limit-and-catch-up on that.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ashjrakamas-shroud-of-resolve-in-the-weeks-to-come/409480

Also, bloodmallet.com can now chart corruption benefits by DPS per point of corruption, and wowhead class guides have been updated to talk about recommended corruption bonuses and the new essences.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:26:06 AM by Marco »

Hotspur

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 10:09:12 AM »
This reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/eqkjaj/macro_to_help_others_by_announcing_rares/  has a great macro instead of running a mod to announce rares in the invasions.  The actual macro is
Code: [Select]
/run a=UnitName('target');b=C_Map.GetPlayerMapPosition(C_Map.GetBestMapForUnit('player'),'player');SendChatMessage(a..' at '..floor(b.x*100)..' '..floor(b.y*100)..' with '..floor(UnitHealth('target')/UnitHealthMax('target')*100)..'%','CHANNEL',nil,1);

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2020, 12:52:15 PM »
With today's reset, Blizzard has substantially increased the rewards from N'Zoth assault dailies. This will make getting to exalted and earning Vessel of Horrific Visions much more bearable. Here are the new numbers:
    Daily Assault Quests
        Now reward 250 Coalescing Visions (up from 50)
            War mode rewards 275 Coalescing Visions (up from 55)
        Now reward 125 reputation with their respective factions (up from 50 - 75)
    Lesser Vision Daily
        Still rewards 2000 Coalescing Visions on your first complete of the week
        Now rewards 1500 Coalescing Visions for each day completed after. (up from 1000)

Thank god, now we can be done with these god awful dailies sooner.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 12:54:20 PM »
Did they fix the competing for clickables gameplay? No? Really?

Well then.

erstyx

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2020, 10:54:56 AM »
They said that objects and mobs should spawn faster now, so that might address it to some degree.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »
For today's dailies, statues were easy to find (mostly inside Guo-Lai halls) but caches in Uldum were tough even though they aren't compete-for-click.  So to some extent it's more about spawn rates.  (Still, they haven't had compete-for-click objects in quests in quite a while, and I have no idea why they went back to them.)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 06:05:27 AM »
Having now spent a couple days playing casual world content with one corrupted item... no.

It's HUGELY annoying and potentially painful. I wouldn't take this into an M+ or raid and if someone showed up with it, I'd kick them. It drops a death zone right on top of where you want to be fighting. I can imagine ranged or healers might find this mildly annoying but it's a complete killer for melee or tanks. Eventually I might get enough doodads to uncorrupt things, but likely I'll just get higher level not corrupted gear and forever ignore these things in my bags.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 01:35:22 PM »
It drops a death zone right on top of where you want to be fighting.

... when you have between 20 and 39 net corruption. I can infer that the item that you have that's corrupted is likely a +35 (or greater) item, and that you have a relatively un-levelled cloak (rank 3 or below).

FWIW, I haven't found the area denial to be a problem in general world questing (as melee). In terms of raids, my advice to fellow raiders has been that if you're about 39 net corruption, then there's a problem, but otherwise you do you. I'm not sure that I've seen anything in the first 8 bosses (on normal, at least) which would make me rethink that position.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2020, 05:24:29 AM »
Yeah it's probably +35 and I got it from an emissary quest before I started the cloak line. I have a low-level cloak.

That said, it's a complete negative. It's like saying "yes, I could take someone with a lower ilvl and they might be a better player overall" but particularly for randoms it's just statistically better to take the higher ilvl (or gearscore or mythic score) player. I probably wouldn't kick a buddy of mine if they showed up corrupted but that's not the common experience.

Likewise, I'm glad your raid group has enough margin that it can take on drawbacks. Mine doesn't. I'm f'ed until I get rid of this thing. And that's not even counting fights where there's an "everyone must stand together" mechanic. Dropping a death zone on that is going to cause a wipe and I can't see a reason to do that to any raid group.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2020, 05:57:06 AM »
Oh, I see the confusion.  Only you see the death zone and only you are affected by it.

Also, the amount of doodads you need to cleanse a piece of gear is extremely nominal.  Once you get past the intro quests you should almost always have enough corrupted mementos on hand at any given time that spending five of them won't be noticeable.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2020, 05:49:44 AM »
Oh, I see the confusion.  Only you see the death zone and only you are affected by it.

Also, the amount of doodads you need to cleanse a piece of gear is extremely nominal.  Once you get past the intro quests you should almost always have enough corrupted mementos on hand at any given time that spending five of them won't be noticeable.

Ah, that makes it MUCH better. I'm still going to toss the corrupted gear that's +5 or less but if it's not "frell the raid" level bad that's a whole new ballgame. I have tried asking MOTHER a couple times to cleanse things but I never seem to have the right doodads, even for toons that have run multiple visions. These are the same doodads you use for your cloak talent tree?

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2020, 04:23:59 PM »

Ah, that makes it MUCH better. I'm still going to toss the corrupted gear that's +5 or less but if it's not "frell the raid" level bad that's a whole new ballgame. I have tried asking MOTHER a couple times to cleanse things but I never seem to have the right doodads, even for toons that have run multiple visions. These are the same doodads you use for your cloak talent tree?

Yes cost is 5 corrupted mementos
Andius(Ht 120), Belandius(Pr 120), Dalandius(War 113), Drandius(Sh 120), Elandius(R 120), Vandius(M 112), Deandius(DK 113), Delandius(Drd 120), Jinandius(P 118), Shandius(Wk120), Kamandius(Mk 119), Ishandius(DH 120) Liandius(LF Pr (93) Venadius (Mk 71), Klandius(Ht 28), Diandius(R 24)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2020, 05:53:03 AM »
Now that I've gotten rid of the corrupted item (upgraded) I realize another big problem with this system - there's an asymmetry in visibility.

When I had a corrupted item, it periodically dropped a death zone. It was big and visible and required me to move/break off combat. There was also probably an upside, like increasing my stats. Increased stats probably meant more DPS but the increase isn't big or visible. If the mob happens to be in a particularly bad position, or is a caster that won't move, then the downside is my DPS drops to 0. That's _very_ visible. Whatever bonus DPS I got from the corruption effect is never going to be as much as the difference between "my average DPS" and "zero."

Many of the neck enhancements give you large visible displays (e.g. big channeled beams of azerite damage). Even if the overall DPS increase is small, it's quite clear that you're doing something and it's having a noticeable effect. This makes them both cool and desirable; I think Blizzard missing this for corruption effects was an error.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2020, 06:19:57 AM »
I don't think these are any different than essences.

Some of the corrupted effects have HUGELY visible graphics to everyone in the raid. Twilight Devastation sends a giant beam of shadowy death zigzagging forward from the sky to the ground. I've heard numerous people think it was some new boss mechanic when it procs during fights. Infinite Stars causes stars to fall from the sky to crash into your target.

For every Essence with huge visible effects, there are essences without anything noticeable, like Lucid Dreams, or that are completely passive, like Vision of Perfection.

Your one Corrupted item so far just didn't have a big flashy effect. Some are arguably TOO flashy.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2020, 10:26:04 AM »
A week ago there was a hotfix to make the damage of Infinite Stars, Twisted Appendages, and Gushing Wound scale with the item level of the containing item, rather than the attack or spell power of the player.  It took bloodmallet a while to catch up to this change, since the charts had to be redone to show multiple item levels.  That work is now done.  Unfortunately a few specs (including balance druid and ret paladin) do not properly display the "DPS per corruption rating" chart correctly; the author says this is due to the lack of a T25 profile for those specs in simulationcraft.

While the common wisdom is that Infinite Stars is a huge outlier even after repeated nerfs, the charts don't show that for most of the specs I looked at.  For the HecticAddCleave fight profile there are often multiple corruption effects with more simulated bang for the buck (because the adds in that profile don't live long enough to build many stacks, and therefore consume lots of stars at low stacks).  For the Patchwerk profile, Infinite Stars is sometimes on top, but not always; Gushing Wound seems to be the most frequent competitor.  The weirdest case I found was beast mastery hunter, where Severe (increased critical strike) simulates as a strong effect for both fight profiles; normally the stat-enhancing corruption effects are far down the list.