Author Topic: Reading List Thread  (Read 13530 times)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
Re: Reading List Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2011, 07:20:24 PM »
Hooray! As a reward here's a youtube clip of Amber Benson (from Buffy) and Patrick Rothfuss reading a sex scene from her latest book to a live audience.

http://youtu.be/g3Q7FziQb44

Yohn

• The Dwarfiest
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2011, 07:47:26 PM »
Ahh, brings back memories of the dramatic readings from trashy romance novels in the bookstore. I miss having a little bookstore to spend my summers in.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
-- H. L. Mencken

Omne Ignotum Pro Magnifico

Ramble

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2011, 11:13:16 AM »
Shantaram [one of those books you wish you could wipe your mind so that you could experience it again for the first time... again]

The Road [as a father of a five year old boy, this was so heartbreaking that I had to stop reading it several evenings and go to bed and sob myself to sleep.  very cathartic]

Just Kids [made me pull out my paints again and really dig around for new music as well]

Yohn

• The Dwarfiest
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2011, 09:40:23 PM »
Just finished The Blade Itself. Pretty damned impressed. For a book entirely devoted to getting the band together before the big adventure, it held its own. Very glad this thread pointed me at Joe Abercrombie. I'll have to pick up the rest of the series tomorrow.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
-- H. L. Mencken

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2011, 08:21:03 AM »
woo! Glad you enjoyed. For me, Glotka is right up there with Tyrion for great characters.

Yohn

• The Dwarfiest
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2011, 11:36:34 AM »
Glokta's good. I have hope for him. He just might be clever enough to to survive and become a little less of a spiteful bastard. Jezal keeps pissing me off with the way that every time he seems like he might become decent, he just slips back into his arrogant aristocrat role. Ninefingers is the man. I've always loved the battle-hardened Northerner character, and he's a fun take on it. He and the other Named Men are probably the highlight for me so far.
-- H. L. Mencken

Ramble

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2011, 10:49:53 AM »
2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America.  Was interesting to see a fiction writer look at the near future from a more financial perspective rather than a strictly sci-fi perspective.

Lamb.  Alternate story of Jesus from 12-30 years old.  Became a big Christopher Moore fan after that and dug into Bite Me: A Love Story.

Reread Dave Duncan's series that started with Reluctant Swordsman.  Would be an awesome backdrop for an MMO.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2011, 11:24:52 AM »
China Mieville's The City and The City.  Full marks.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »
I recently finished reading Worm, an original web serial in the superhero genre written by a pseudonymous author between 2011 and 2013.

I'll start with some caveats: the author is talented but has no editor, and it sometimes shows.  There are mechanical errors here and there.  By the author's own admission, some sections could use rewrites, including the first story arc.  All told, it's about as long as six Wheel of Time books and has scores of important characters.  Although not unrelentingly depressing, it's pretty dark, and the reader isn't necessarily meant to like the main character.  The pacing is a bit uneven; while I was often deeply drawn in, I was sometimes briefly bored.

All that said, I liked it a lot.  There are colorful, deep, and morally complex characters who evolve over time.  There are intense, vivid action scenes.  There is a well-planned overarching story with a good conclusion.  There is a delightful sense of engineering surrounding superhero powers and how they can be used.

The author doesn't want public ebooks (to raise the bar for plagiarism cash grabs), but doesn't mind privately distributed copies; I can provide a link to one by PM.  The chapter-by-chapter story is on the web here.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2014, 04:48:12 AM »
Is this a thing you buy or subscribe to, or is it simply there for the feasting?
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2014, 07:07:18 AM »
It's freely available.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2014, 07:15:33 AM »
Amazon is giving away The Way of Kings for free at the moment on Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P2WO5E?tag=brandsande-20

I bought and read this a while ago.  It was pretty good.  I don't understand Uan's objection that characters speak in a modern English dialect.  It's a totally fictional world; what dialect should they use?  On the other hand, Sanderson is fond of exposition about his world's magic system, which can feel slightly hackish at times.  In the Mistborn trilogy I can pretty much imagine what controller button each magic action maps to.

The sequel (Words of Radiance) is still $11.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2014, 07:43:40 AM »
I agree with everything Marco said.

The Way of Kings is book one of an Epic Saga.  It's a decent book and the sequel's ok too.

I thought Sanderson's _The Emperor's Soul_ was much better, and you can read the whole thing in a day.