Author Topic: Reading List Thread  (Read 13504 times)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
Re: Reading List Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 06:52:15 PM »
I'm currently reading Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory.

So far it's a very enjoyable read, it takes place in an alternate universe where demon possession has become commonplace since the 1950s there are about 100 known demons and they follow the same pattern of possessing a human for a short time before jumping to a new person.

There is the Little Angel who only possesses young girls and will visit terminal patients, her kiss kills.
The Truth, possesses middle aged males, commonly wears a trench coat and fedora and brings justice to someone trying to get away with a major lie.
The Hellion, typically possesses young blong-haired boys aged 5-7, typical Dennis the Menace type, loves pranks and mischief.

And so on.

We'll see how it turns out but it has me hooked so far.

Wari

• Weekend Raiders Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 03:41:42 PM »
There must be other people who read......

Nicci

• Pyromaniac
  • Cupcakes Member
  • "...and Nicci went to go buy booze."
    • this sweetness
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 04:00:55 PM »
Hmm. I typically read poetry more than anything else, so I don't have much to suggest past what people've already mentioned. :(
I don't suppose anyone's been in the Goodreads community? Not many of my friends IRL read (because Iiiiiii'm superficial~!) so I usually head there for book reviews/recommendations and keep track of what I want to read. It's a nice site. :)
xoxo,
Nicci

Niccii // Ayae // Elerevere // Chella // Invoke // Kiitana // Senii // Tazii

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 05:30:07 PM »
Wren and I are Goodreads friends. I never read anything, so I'm useless, though.
o/\o

Nicci

• Pyromaniac
  • Cupcakes Member
  • "...and Nicci went to go buy booze."
    • this sweetness
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 10:40:27 AM »
Wren and I are Goodreads friends.

TMI, TMI!
xoxo,
Nicci

Niccii // Ayae // Elerevere // Chella // Invoke // Kiitana // Senii // Tazii

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 12:28:13 PM »
I like Goodreads as well, I find a lot of books by browsing through the lists there. I keep mine fairly up to date if anyone ever really wants to see what I'm reading.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 11:36:38 AM »
Bump.  Wren, any updates on your list?  Just finished Desert Spear, and The Magicians didn't look like my cup of tea.  But those were awesoooome suggestions.  :)
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 12:20:50 PM »
Bump.  Wren, any updates on your list?  Just finished Desert Spear, and The Magicians didn't look like my cup of tea.  But those were awesoooome suggestions.  :)

If you liked Peter Brett you'd probably enjoy the Brent Weeks trilogy, it starts with The Way of Shadows. I will say the first book is a -little- slow but books two and three really make up for it.

And I always recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

As a sidenote if anyone is in the San Diego area or will be because of ComicCon - Patrick Rothfuss, Brent Weeks and Brandon Sanderson will be doing a reading/signing at a local Borders on the 25th (I can look up the address if you actually CAN go) and they've decided that they'll be reading each others' books. Should be interesting :)

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
I just finished Kraken by China Mieville, which was good, though it reminded me a bit too much of Neverwhere, which itself reminded me too much of Anubis Gate. Still, it had Chaos Nazis, so that's cool.  Now I'm reading Role Models by John Waters, which is excellent.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
Oh also, if you like Harry Potter you'd probably enjoy anything Diana Wynne Jones has written but I'd recommend starting with The Lives of Christopher Chant in particular. You can pick it up these days as paperback in a collection with the other Chrestomanci books which is handy.

Moonjade

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 03:32:24 AM »
HI Guys N Gals, I'm currently reading Dead In The Family by Charlaine Harris (Sookie), I've also read The Black Dagger Botherhood, by J.R. Ward, those we're pretty good books.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 06:17:55 AM »
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. 18th century historical fiction, set in Japan. Excellent.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 06:56:17 AM »
Consider me out of the loop but I don't read as much as I should. I keep hearing things about a book called "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (I hope thats the right title). Any thoughts on it? If its good I might go pick it up.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 07:02:17 AM »
I've read the first 2 books in the Millennium series, and well... they're just ok. There's nothing wildly fantastic about them - in fact, I find the writing style/exposition to be waaay too stilted and bland. I'm not sure if this is a function of Larsson, a function of Swedish, or a function of the translator.

You could do worse if you found yourself on a beach with a couple of hours to kill.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »
Oh also, if you like Harry Potter you'd probably enjoy anything Diana Wynne Jones has written but I'd recommend starting with The Lives of Christopher Chant in particular. You can pick it up these days as paperback in a collection with the other Chrestomanci books which is handy.

The HP connection, I found, was at most tenuous.  Still, an ok read for the relatively cheap price.  I'm not eagerly tracking down the other Chrestomanci books at the moment, though.

Hmm, what to read next...  hmm hmm.....
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)