Author Topic: Titan Residuum  (Read 165 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Titan Residuum
« on: December 11, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
[Season 1 stuff removed, updated for season 2]

* Titan residuum is only used to get dungeon Azerite pieces, which are six of the Azerite options for each slot (per armor type).  You can look at the vendor (next to the inn, with the other ethereals) to see what the pieces are for your armor type.  You can look those up on ptr.wowhead.com to see what they will be like in season 2 with the fifth ring.

* Specific 415 Azerite pieces cost four times as much as a random 415 piece.  If you buy a random piece, you still get to control the slot.  If the same ratio holds in season 2, it may make more sense to buy random pieces unless one of the six options is far better than the others.

* If you do a mythic+10 and scrap three 400 Azerite pieces in a week, that's about 1000 residuum.  That's three random 415s in five weeks, but it would take five months to buy three specific pieces.

Season 2 reference numbers from this post:

* scrap 340: +1
* scrap 355: +3
* scrap 370: +12
* scrap 385: +35
* scrap 400: +115
* scrap 415: +365
* +4 cache: +~60
* +10 cache: +~625
* buy 385 random: -165
* buy 400 random: -675
* buy 415 random: -1725
* buy 415 specific: -7150
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:38:38 PM by Marco »

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Titan Residuum
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:58:08 AM »
From what I can see mostly not worth it.

You can either grind and hope you get lucky with the RNG or have a 5 times longer grind which by which time you may have got better gear anyway.

To top it off they are dungeon Azerite pieces so they so they are not going the raid buff trait (Archive of the Titans, Enables Reorigination Array)
Andius (Hunter 120),Belandius (Priest 120),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 113),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 113) Kamandius (Monk 114), Ishandius (DH 120) Liandius LF Paladin (32)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:05:41 AM »
If you don't raid mythic, there is no other way of getting 385 pieces (415 pieces in season 2), so you won't have gotten better gear anyway.  (There might be a another avenue through high-level PvP, I guess.)

I believe there is no raid buff trait in the next raid.  From an interview, Reorigination Array is something they thought would fit well with the Uldir theme, not something they plan to do for every BfA raid.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 08:52:31 AM »
Pedantic nit #1: You can get 385 Azerite if you do M+10 keys or better.
Pedantic nit #2: Given that the Darkshore warfront is rewarding 385 gear via the quest, I would hazard a guess that you can get 385 Azerite from there as well.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 09:21:09 AM »
Not any more.  The residuum system replaces the chance to get Azerite gear from the M+ cache.

Pedantic nit #2: Given that the Darkshore warfront is rewarding 385 gear via the quest, I would hazard a guess that you can get 385 Azerite from there as well.
Possibly, but I doubt we'll see warfronts rewarding 415 gear in season 2, except perhaps at the very end (similar to how it's only rewarding 385 gear in the final weeks of season 1).

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 12:10:17 PM »
Not any more.  The residuum system replaces the chance to get Azerite gear from the M+ cache.

What? Why would they do this?

That is a terrible idea.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 12:14:29 PM »
What? Why would they do this?

That is a terrible idea.
Why is it a terrible idea?  How generous should they be?

The old way, if you ran +10s you got a random 385 in a random slot every three weeks or so (but that amount could also vary).  Now you can get a random 385 (415 in the next season) in a controlled slot every 1.5-2 weeks, or a chosen piece every 6-8 weeks.  Why should the old random pieces be there in addition?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:25:52 PM by Marco »

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 12:30:34 PM »
More of a gut reaction than a logical one, really. With the counts working out how they do, it isn't too awful--I'm just loathe for things to turn into pretty much just "grind currency to insert into a slot machine or eventually buyout your target."

Initial reading feels like "Imagine if heroic bosses just dropped badges and not loot any more" but I know that's not fully true.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 01:23:38 PM »
I got a treasure map as a reward for doing my islands for the week, which created a mission called "Treasure Map: Wild Ride", which awards 24 residuum (as much as scrapping two 370 pieces, a little less than half as much as a +10 cache).  So that's another income source; I don't know if it's guaranteed.

(With my present lineup, I can 100% the mission but have no chance at the bonus.  The bonus is just 1500 AP, though.)

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »
That's good to know--and I suspect it's going to be a lot like Wakening Essence before the last part of Legion where we have a rough idea how much grinding we'll actually have to do but before the numbers are inflated and all the sources are in place--it's hard to know exactly how it'll feel.

I think--from a gut reaction perspective--taking away one source of it to give another source that will (on average) take just as long isn't a huge net positive move. With the other sources (warfronts, emissaries, etc), it's not as bad as it once was, but I don't know that them still having a chance to appear in M+ caches or the like would have been a huge risk of oversaturation and probably would have come across as a good faith gesture to the community.

I'm very grumpy today though, so...

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »
> I think--from a gut reaction perspective--taking away one source of it to give another source that will (on average) take just as long isn't a huge net positive move

I don't think that's an accurate description of the new system.  I think it will hand out max-level RNG pieces about twice as fast, and being able to control the slot is huge.  I have two pieces of 385 gear from the old system after doing 10s for several months, and it could have taken a very long time to get a third 385 piece since each new piece would have had a 2/3 chance of being a slot repeat.  In the new system (if the season 1 ratios carry over), I expect to have three random 415 pieces within a month or two of being able to do 10s again (which might be right away; I don't know how much of a difficulty bump to expect).  If anything, that seems possibly too generous; it means I probably won't care about any heroic Azerite drop I see in the new raid, except to scrap (well, DE, in my case) for residuum.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »
I am finishing the first week at 149 residuum, which is 16 shy of what I would need to buy a random 385 if I were going to do that.  64 came from the cache, 24 came from the treasure map (not guaranteed), and the other 61 came from DEing Azerite items.  I did most of the assaults that came up and a couple of them yielded 370 Azerite pieces, boosting the number I was able to DE.

In the Q+A, Ion said that a player who does only M+ should be able to buy a random item every 2.5 weeks (actual number for season 1 is 2.75 weeks).  He said that each 15 item level bump costs about 3x more, and that a season (+30 item levels) should cost about 10x more.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »
I updated the first post for season 2, using a blue post.  No real surprises.  The multiplier for the season turnover is a bit more than 10.  I should be able to find more numbers for different cache levels and for the treasure map a couple of weeks into season 2.

From the blue post, it looks like they aren't going to be handing out a lot of 400 gear at the beginning of season 2; the only sources appear to be the raid and the Darkshore warfront.  That will slow down residuum acquisition; I was expecting at least the emissary Azerite rewards to scale up to 400 (conditional on character item level).  You can of course acquire and scrap 385s for a bit of supplementary income.