Author Topic: 8.1.x stuff  (Read 307 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
8.1.x stuff
« on: September 18, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
Ion did a half-hour video going over content in the next patch, which is going on the PTR shortly.  (He never actually called it 8.1, so this thread might turn out to be misnamed.)  wowhead has a summary here: https://www.wowhead.com/news=287254/whats-coming-in-tides-of-vengeance-new-battle-for-azeroth-content-patch

The big content updates are more typical of an x.2 patch than an x.1 patch in recent expansions, as they include two new raids.  Also a new warfront and two new islands, but no new dungeons.  The main nine-boss raid is set up in an unusual way because it's an alliance-horde conflict.  At the end we will fight the other faction's unique bosses as part of "getting information from scouts," which I think will feel strange, but I'm sure some people will appreciate the opportunity to fight Jaina.

Some reputation rewards will become account-wide, including Champions of Azeroth neck upgrades, transmog rewards, and progress towards the exalted reputations achievement.  I think grinding up to revered to unlock profession recipes on alts will still be a thing, though.

7.2 Legion invasions will be back, themed as incursions by the enemy faction.  Like the invasions they can be used to level alts--though churning through those last few levels with no gear upgrades sounds kind of brutal.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
Re: 8.1.x stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:46:27 PM »
What does a "new warfront" mean? Does it mean there'll be another table like that for the Arathi Highlands, with a bunch of turn-in quests for separate contributions to that warfront?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 02:17:43 PM »
I don't actually know how the two warfronts will interact.  They could alternate, meaning that warfront activities don't happen any faster but the setting changes each time, or they could just each have their own cycle so that warfront activities pop twice as often.  My guess is that they will cycle independently, since we were told that alliance would be beginning the Darkshore warfront.

I also think the new warfront will have higher-level item rewards and will be tuned for higher-level gear, while the Arathi warfront will continue to give out 340 rewards with the occasional 370.  So by the time it comes out, maybe the Arathi warfront doesn't feel particularly rewarding and can be ignored, and that's even more likely to be true by the time there is a third warfront.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:24:52 PM »
Super wild and baseless speculation:

At the end of BfA the faction war from a narrative perspective finally ends. 

- Arenas stay, since gladiator combat will always be a thing
- Battlegrounds and other instanced PvP get reframed as training excercises. (Other games do this)
- Open World PvP (The Warmode Toggle) Makes you aggro to *ALL* players regardless of faction. Reframed as Bounty Hunter Mode
- Additional work that framed the backbone for communities begins to allow the factions to interact more. 
- Unified Horde/Alliance Auction Hall
- Anyone can enter anyone else's city
- Next expansion we return to the usual Big Bads.  A portion of BfA will be laying ground work for what these could be.  There seems to be hints at a Lich King redux with relatives of Arthas and Bolvar appearing.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »
Horde/Alliance AHs are already merged, but yeah, I think there's a good set-up here for that, and I think it's the right move, gameplay-wise but we just don't know.
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 07:56:10 AM »
I also think the new warfront will have higher-level item rewards and will be tuned for higher-level gear, while the Arathi warfront will continue to give out 340 rewards with the occasional 370.  So by the time it comes out, maybe the Arathi warfront doesn't feel particularly rewarding and can be ignored, and that's even more likely to be true by the time there is a third warfront.

Is there any advance word on the ilvls of items awarded by the next new warfront?

Context: I've gotten up to BfA Pathfinder Part 1, with all the faction reps at Revered. At this point, the only incentive for me to grind up to Exalted is to get access to each faction's ilvl 350 armor piece. If the new warfront will award higher level gear than that, then there's no point for me to rep grind any further and I can move on to other things.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 08:30:35 AM »
Winston, if you've not seen this it seems like it might be interesting to you:
https://blizzardwatch.com/2018/09/27/best-way-farm-island-expeditions-mounts-pets-toys-probably-not-youve/

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Ghoselle. You probably missed the other posts in which I hinted at this, but I'm out of the pet/mount/toy-collecting game. I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to get better gear, since my existing gear is good enough for the content I'm doing.

Still (to get back on topic) who knows what will show up in 8.1 that I might enjoy and would benefit from having more than my current ilvl of 347.
Bill Seligman

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
Someone did a summary of the profession changes currently visible on the PTR.  They don't seem final but they do seem decently fleshed out.  Among other things, Alchemy and Engineering get BOP gear, and Sanguicell can be used in place of Midnight Salmon for big feasts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/woweconomy/comments/9ll2cs/81_profession_changes_on_the_ptr/

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 07:35:04 AM »
Someone did a summary of the profession changes currently visible on the PTR.  They don't seem final but they do seem decently fleshed out.  Among other things, Alchemy and Engineering get BOP gear, and Sanguicell can be used in place of Midnight Salmon for big feasts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/woweconomy/comments/9ll2cs/81_profession_changes_on_the_ptr/

More pets :)
Andius (Hunter 120),Belandius (Priest 120),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 113),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 113) Kamandius (Monk 114), Ishandius (DH 120) Liandius LF Paladin (32)

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 07:51:57 AM »
Some new Azerite traits got data mined.

Some of them actually look pretty interesting and rotation/priority altering. A good chunk of them still seem to fit in the "Ability X does unrelated thing Y" problematic bucket though, or otherwise offer minor bonuses that I can't imagine will be worthwhile. Hopefully since this is the first pass things will get iterated on or significant number adjustments.

Possibly three weeks after the patch goes live.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
No one has mentioned it here, so I'll describe how Azerite gear is changing structurally in 8.1, as I understand it.

Every new epic Azerite piece that drops, even if it's from an old source, will get an extra outer ring.  This ring will contain two choices of spec-locked traits per spec (so six for most classes, eight for druids, four for demon hunters).  Spec-locked traits will never repeat on a given piece.  So you will be able to have a total of six spec-locked traits over your gear, but any single trait can only be stacked three times.

The goal here is to bring the quality of Azerite pieces closer together and to make attractive spec-locked traits easier to find.  I think those goals will be met.  But:

* Because the new ring will contain only spec-locked traits, you won't be able to use one piece for multiple specs without losing a full ring's worth of power (or spending the ramping gold cost on reforging).  Currently if a piece has a good generic trait on its outer ring, it might be good for multiple specs.

* Azerite traits feel randomized to players, even though they are fixed per item, because so many sources of Azerite gear pick from a large pool of items.  In that frame of mind, this feels like adding another die roll.  Although adding another roll mathematically reduces the impact of RNG, it still feels like more RNG.

* It will face players with one more choice per piece of Azerite gear.  To some players this is good, but to others it's just an added hassle.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 03:10:00 PM »
Blizzard released details on how M+ will reward Azerite gear after 7.1:

* It won't appear in the weekly chest any more.  (So no more "ilvl X piece of ilvl Y Azerite piece after doing Z level of M+".)
* Instead, you get a currency, with the amount depending on your highest-level M+ run during the week.
* You can also get a bit of this currency by scrapping or disenchanting epic Azerite pieces obtained after 7.1 releases.
* You can spend the currency on random pieces for a slot, or (for larger amounts of currency) on specific pieces.

I read some of the comments because I don't always make rational life choices.  Apart from the predictable reactions (this should have been there from the start, it will take too long to get what I want, what about PvP), there was a legitimate concern that this will make garbage Azerite pieces too attractive, causing people to either keep pieces they would otherwise give away and/or to run all of the M0s weekly in hopes of getting some extra pieces to scrap.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769667833#1
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769667833?page=7#post-136
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:11:39 PM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 07:34:10 AM »
There's a dubloon vendor on the 8.1 PTR.  (Dubloons are a currency rewarded from completing island expeditions.)  The prize item seems to be the Saltwater Seahorse mount for 500 dubloons; there are also two pets for 100/200 and toys for 150/200/300.  Prices and items might not be final as there hasn't been a blue post about this, but saving dubloons seems indicated.

https://ptr.wowhead.com/news=288139/patch-8-1-build-28202-new-seafarers-doubloon-cosmetic-vendors

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 02:41:15 PM »
8.1 release date is December 11th, just over a month away.