Author Topic: Bfanomics  (Read 1195 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Bfanomics
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 06:08:01 AM »
Scrapping non-trinkets generates expulsom about 10% of the time.  So for every 200-stack of linen you turn into 20 bracers, you will get an expected 2 expulsom.  It seems like it is more expensive to do this with leatherworking based on market prices, but some people talk about doing that too so maybe I'm missing something.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 10:55:27 AM »
I'm not an econ major, but: If you are a LW (as Theadora is) and you skin all the time out of habit, it costs nothing to make all those shoulders. Since there's not much useful high-end gear I can make (five 300-ilvl pieces when Theadora gets to 120), I might as well skin+shoulder+scrap and see what I get.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
The argument against that is:
* time is money
* it's not free, you're costing yourself whatever you would have gotten from selling the raw materials on the AH

That said, my experience has been that while blood-stained bones are the sticking point of LW items, they didn't move particularly well when I tried to sell them as materials on the AH either, so you may be better off just processing them into items to scrap, since AH processing fees may make that more profitable than trying to sell the raw mats if you end up having to relist.
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 10:05:21 AM »
Coming back to this:
Scrapping non-trinkets generates expulsom about 10% of the time.  So for every 200-stack of linen you turn into 20 bracers, you will get an expected 2 expulsom.

If you're churning through a lot of crafted items made with the same materials, don't underestimate how much of those materials you will also get back. I processed about 100 cloth bracers today, and got enough materials back to make another 17 bracers. So the overall expulsom result from crafted stuff will be a skosh higher than 10%, since you can repurpose scrapped materials into more crafted stuff to rescrap.
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 11:38:16 AM »
Coming back to this:
Scrapping non-trinkets generates expulsom about 10% of the time.  So for every 200-stack of linen you turn into 20 bracers, you will get an expected 2 expulsom.

If you're churning through a lot of crafted items made with the same materials, don't underestimate how much of those materials you will also get back. I processed about 100 cloth bracers today, and got enough materials back to make another 17 bracers. So the overall expulsom result from crafted stuff will be a skosh higher than 10%, since you can repurpose scrapped materials into more crafted stuff to rescrap.

Maybe but not by much going by your 17% material return the from the 100 bracers and making and scraping until you can make any more (100>17>3), your looking to increase the expulsom rate from 10% to around 12%.
Andius(Ht 120), Belandius(Pr 120), Dalandius(War 113), Drandius(Sh 120), Elandius(R 120), Vandius(M 111), Deandius(DK 113), Delandius(Drd 120), Jinandius(P 114), Shandius(Wk120), Kamandius(Mk 119), Ishandius(DH 120) Liandius(LF Pr (85) Venadius (Mk 42), Klandius(Ht 20), Diandius(R 20)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
I looked around for prospecting rates and didn't find anything definitive, but from some data collection on the beta with a good sample size I found:

* Prospecting 200 monelite will yield an expected 1.1 epic gems, 10 rare gems, and 66 common gems.
* Prospecting 200 storm silver will yield an expected 1.3 epic gems, 18 rare gems, and 72 common gems.
* Prospecting 200 platinum will yield an expected 1.6 epic gems, 28 rare gems, and 78 common gems.

https://twitter.com/BilisOnyxia/status/1028365771150381057
https://twitter.com/BilisOnyxia/status/1027765883798794240
https://twitter.com/BilisOnyxia/status/1028368266522185729

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 10:43:13 PM »
I heard about a good skinning spot in Drustvar.  You go to around 54,40 (in the woods south of Fallhaven) and look for a pack of small rabbits--they have low health so won't have health bars in the default UI.  Set up outside of their aggro range, pull them to you and kill them.  Especially when other people are around they often respawn before you are done skinning the bodies.  I was able to accumulate lots of bloodstained bones this way in a short time along with a lot of leather.  I won't be surprised if Blizzard makes the bunnies unskinnable soon; it's not really fair that they skin just as well as mobs with regular amounts of health.

For blacksmiths, Monel-Hardened Stirrups appear to be a pretty hot item at the moment.  Although these have a high crafting cost for a two-hour consumable (25 monelite, or 1250+ gold at current prices), they have maintained a price above 2000 gold for the past five days.  For gatherers they have several benefits over the Sky Golem: they work for mining as well as herbalism, they work on smaller mounts (making it easier to mouse over nodes), and they work with water-walking mounts.  A tank-spec gatherer with the stirrups and swappable herbing/mining gloves can gather very efficiently.  For blacksmiths they have an 8-hour duration, but of course then you can only have one gathering profession.

Prices for some consumables have been ramping up in anticipation of the raid opening.  Some people speculate that this is a bubble and that prices will crash next week, but I think they will remain high for a month or so.  Anchor Weed (the rare herb used for all flasks) is over 500g per unit, though the trend has been downward rather than upward over the past few days.  Common herb prices are also a bit elevated, though not nearly as crazy; Winter's Kiss maintains a relatively low price due to its high availability in Drustvar.  Redtail Loach (a freshwater Zandalari fish used in the best feasts) has been up near 150g per unit, although that might be a temporary result of market manipulation based on my read of the price graph.  Midnight Salmon (a rare fish also used in feasts) is over 500g apiece, although that isn't really up from a week ago.

Veiled Crystals are finally showing signs of heading towards affordability, and are likely to crash with increased supply next week.  Umbra Shards, on the other hand, have jumped in price and may continue to rise; the supply of blues tends to decrease as the supply of purples increases.

Warfronts will also come out soon, and with them will come contribution quests.  Some details are unclear, but these appear likely to bolster prices for common materials, including green gems which are currently very cheap.  Here is an analysis: https://www.reddit.com/r/wowgoblins/comments/9c7qod/warfronts_and_their_potential_impact/ .  (This post claims that warfronts are confirmed for this coming Tuesday but I can't find any corroboration of that.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:07:09 AM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 11:07:15 AM »
Some notes on consumables which can be leveraged for mythic+ runs, and are therefore potential profit centers:

* Skystep Potions are used to skip trash.  (Tank pots and runs past many trash groups and dies; rest of party follows up to a safe point and resurrects the tank.)  They use Starlight Rose and Yseralline Seeds, so the prices of those are also affected (mainly Starlight Rose).

* Invisibility potions can be used to skip trash, and can be made at equal strength (18s duration, 10m cooldown) using mats from the last three expansions:
  - Draenic Invisibility Potion: Crescent Saberfish Flesh (to make Crescent Oil) and Jawless Skulker Flesh
  - Skaggyldrynk: Fjarnskaggl and Yseralline Seeds
  - Draught of Deception: Sand Shifter and Sea Stalk

* Engineering bombs all seem to command a substantial price.  Organic Discombobulation Grenades can polymorph up to five mobs for 20 seconds, making hard packs doable; the others can speed up trash packs.

Of course the standard raid consumables (food, flasks, pots, runes) also apply, as do scrolls and drums to make up for missing party buffs.  Potion of Prolonged Power isn't terrible for being an old-expansion pot, and seems to have a pretty deep market although it doesn't have a high price.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:26:02 PM by Marco »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
Arathi flipped a short time ago (as I type this). I had thought it would flip tomorrow. With the flip come daily turn-ins. Each is worth 150 rep and 500 AP (with a bonus for the first one - not clear if that's going to be first-per-day, first-per-flip, or first-ever).

Many of the turn-ins are crafted items - a particular cut gem, engineer ammo, etc. - and some are just raw materials. As you can imagine, the price of the raw materials and the components needed to make the turn-in items has shot through the roof. ETA: Marco put a complete list in the 8.0 thread. I'm just lazy.

If you don't want to deal with the AH you can stand at the turn-in NPC and sell direct. Guildmate of mine was charging 500g per turn-in and not lacking for customers.

This deal is only good until we get the bar to 100%.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 06:01:46 AM »
As noted in the other thread, the turn-in quests are not actually dailies. I won't be able to check until tonight to see if they refresh with the weekly cycle. Given that, and the rush to turn in early, prices on the easy turn-in raw materials have crashed back to near normal. That's somewhat helpful if you're making some of the crafted turn-ins. I tried shout-selling a couple of engineer ammo turn-ins for material price but ore is still stupid expensive and it's 30 ore for the turn-in so nobody wanted to pay that. I tossed a couple on the AH, which is not stupidly far off material price, to see if they'd sell there.

Does anyone know if there are available items that cost large amounts of war resources? My main has north of 2k and I've been somewhat hoarding them for fear I'd need them later for something I really want. Weekly bonus-roll tokens, I guess?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 09:00:29 AM »
I think the contribution quests only reset on the contribution cycle.

I should have realized and noted that the AP from contribution quests, like any source of AP, will go further after a reset due to the catch-up mechanic.  So doing these turnins today would have been smarter than doing them earlier.  I wound up doing a few of them today but had done several of them before the reset.

From what I can tell, war resources are only useful for:

* Paying for your weekly bonus rolls
* Paying for missions (and troops for missions) if you want something from them:
  - Rep tokens if you still want rep
  - Augment runes, for as long as they have a substantial AH price
  - Pet charms
  - AP
  - gold (low throughput, probably not worth the clicking)
* Warfront contributions (100 per warfront cycle)

So you will tend to build up a surplus if you are actively doing stuff with a character.  A mostly idle character will tend to run out, unless they don't spend resources on any of the above.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
A recent hotfix increased the amount of anchor weed obtained per node.  The price of anchor weed on ER has come down a bit, but is still over 500g per unit.

Going by the PTR, it had looked like the anchor weed requirement per flask was going down from 5 to 3 in patch 8.1, but that appears to have been reverted.  Instead, the number of common herbs required for battle potions appears to be decreasing from 18 to 13.ETA: per this tweet it looks like neither change will be in 8.1, but something as yet unknown will be happening instead.

I believe umbra shard requirements are also decreasing for some weapon enchants, but I think those are the less attractive enchants anyway.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:18:15 PM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »
Many professions are getting a kind of partial reset with patch 8.2.  I have some notes on alchemy, as the most economically active profession.

* New flasks are 50% better than old flasks.  New potions are 35% better than old ones.
* New flasks take 20 Zin'anthid (the new herb), 5 old herbs, and 5 anchorweed to make, versus 25 old herbs and 5 anchorweed for old flasks.
* New potions take 8 Zin'anthid and 3 old herbs, versus 18 old herbs for old potions.  There are also two slightly cheaper new potions which take 6 Zin'anthid and no old herbs.

Between flying and the low requirement for old herbs for new potions and flasks, I expect prices of old herbs to crash, while Zin'anthid will probably command a high price early on.  Anchorweed may retain some of its value because the demand remains steady but people won't have as much reason to farm old herbs.  With low prices for old herbs and no anchorweed requirement, old potions might be a reasonable option.

(Transitional caveats: flying requires revered with both new factions, which will probably take 2-3 weeks for people to earn.  The new raid won't be open until two weeks after the patch drops.  People will have to obtain the rank 3 recipes to get the material costs I mentioned above.)

https://www.wowhead.com/news=292312/alchemy-changes-in-patch-8-2-rise-of-azshara-upgraded-flasks-and-potions
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:29:56 AM by Marco »