Author Topic: Bfanomics  (Read 846 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Bfanomics
« on: August 12, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
A few tips I have picked up:

* Green quest rewards can be scrapped for mats in the capital city.  This is probably a better choice economically than vendoring them.

* Inscription can create "contracts" for the BfA reputations.  When you use a contract, you get a permanent buff (until you use another contract) which grants 10 reputation with that faction for each world quest you complete.  You have to get to friendly with a faction before you can use their contract.  Contract: Champions of Azeroth should be a decent seller at first, since that faction grants item level upgrades for the artifact neck.

* There appears to be a bug with mass milling yields, which might or might not get fixed soon: https://twitter.com/BilisOnyxia/status/1028572773294198785

* Jewelcrafters can craft a +5% XP gem, which should have high demand but probably also high supply as it's green-quality.  I believe a player can only benefit from one of these.

* Enchanters can make glove enchants to speed up crafting.  Glove enchants to speed up skinning, herbalism, and mining in BfA zones also exist to parallel the ones for Legion zones.

* Darkmoon Firewater (obtained through fishing in the faire) greatly increases gathering speed, and still works in BfA zones.  Does not stack with glove enchants.

* Blacksmiths can make two quality-of-life consumables: Monel-Hardened Hoofplates (+20% mount speed for two hours) and Monel-Hardened Stirrups (interact while mounted for two hours).

* Tailors can make 32-slot bags, but the resource cost is significant.  Probably a good long-term moneymaker, but you'll have to run mythic or mythic+ dungeons on your tailoring character to get Hydrocores.

* If you don't care about old recipes, swapping to herbalism for leveling and then to a crafting profession at max level can be an attractive option, since you don't have to catch up to BfA in the crafting profession.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:22:08 AM by Marco »

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
Re: Bfanomics
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 06:49:07 AM »

* Enchanters can make glove enchants to speed up crafting.  Glove enchants to speed up skinning, herbalism, and mining in BfA zones also exist to parallel the ones for Legion zones.

Worth noting that these barely require any mats. Like 1-2 greens should be enough dust for these.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 02:27:01 PM »
I saw it asserted that trinkets always yield Explusom when scrapped, and with a sample size of 13 this seems to hold true.  (Expulsom is the BOP crafting material in BfA, used in many higher-end recipes.  Alchemists can transmute to it, but that's the only other source besides the scrapper I'm aware of.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:45:42 AM by Marco »

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:46:31 AM »
I can confirm the Expulsom rate from trinkets, if not 100% (I wasn't paying that close of attention) is much higher than from items for other gear slots.
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 06:52:58 AM »
I'm 2/2 for trinkets and Expulsom. I tested one green and one blue, single output from each.

I'm dubious on the value of scrapping greens versus vendoring. You seem to get a handful of mats, sometimes as little as 1-2 pieces of metal. Greens sell for anywhere from 12-18 gold for cheap ones to 30-32 for average, and sometimes 50+ for weapons. Unless AH mats are insanely more expensive than I think they are, scrapping anything but trinkets appears to be a net money loss.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 02:28:15 PM »
At this moment I'm showing all three ores (monelite, storm silver, platinum) at 90+g per unit on the AH.  Linen is only around 7-10g per unit, though, so not every scrap is necessarily worth it.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 11:52:41 AM »
Getting to the 1-star recipe for the contracts is pretty easy. Inscription skill required is 75. I got to 50 just making the inks from the yield from one 200-stack of Winter's Bite. You'll make lockpick scrolls or raid/party buff scrolls (Lesser Fortitude/Battle Shout/Arcane Intellect) or mass mill from 50-75, and then you can get to contracts.

I suspect the party buff scrolls may be decent sellers (relative to cost of mats) once more people start running mythics.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:55:00 AM by Honorata »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 08:10:26 PM »
Mill rates have been pretty definitively determined through data collection by someone much more patient than me.  It seems to be simpler than Legion milling in that all of the common herbs mill to the same stuff: about 0.13 green, 0.32 red, and 0.82 blue pigment per herb milled.  Anchorweed (7-8x as expensive as the other herbs at the moment) yields about 2.5 times as much green as common herbs, and the same amount of red and blue.  Mass milling of anchorweed is still broken in that it yields fewer herbs than milling 5-stacks by hand, but at the moment it's a bad idea to mill anchorweed at all.  It works fine for other herbs.

TLDR: mill (or mass mill) the cheapest kind of common herb, regardless of what kind of pigment you need.

https://www.reddit.com/r/woweconomy/comments/98oyfb/bfa_milling_data_30k_anchor_weed_600k_common_herbs/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:14:51 PM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
(Just noticed that I put this thread in the wrong forum.  It should be in trade and crafting.)

In today's dev Q+A, Ion announced that auction house deposits for crafting materials will be higher if you list small quantities than if you list large quantities.  This change is trying to get rid of the walls of single-stack materials which make it slow to use the AH.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 06:07:50 AM »
The rogue pickpocketing weekly has been nerfed from 5000g to 2500g.  Still one of the better sources of periodic gold at the moment.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 10:08:04 PM »
A list of alliance quests which reward trinkets, useful for obtaining a few early Expulsom on crafting alts:

Drustvar:
* Potent Protection (Corlain)
* Tea Party (Glenbrook, Abby Lewis)
* Controlling the Situation (Crimson Forest)
* Terminal Degree (North Pass Caverns, north of Fallhaven)

Tiragarde Sound:
* Witch of the Woods (Hatherford)
* Best In Show (Norwington Estate)
* The Beauty of Marketing (Fizzsprings Resort)

Stormsong:
* Back to the Lab (Mildenhall Meadery)
* You're a Shark (Fort Daelin)
* Storm's Vengeance (mainline story near Mariner's Strand)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 08:44:42 PM »
In today's dev Q+A, Ion announced that auction house deposits for crafting materials will be higher if you list small quantities than if you list large quantities.  This change is trying to get rid of the walls of single-stack materials which make it slow to use the AH.
The specifics:
[Following server restarts] The deposit for certain tradeskill goods has increased by 20% of the asking price of a single unit. This cost is constant, regardless of stack size.  As with the standard deposit, this is returned to the seller when the auction successfully sells.
So for a 200 stack you're losing an additional 0.1% of your asking price on a failed sale.

For those crafting Darkmoon cards, a bugfix/buff to the Tides (healing) deck might affect card prices:
Fixed an issue where Darkmoon Deck: Tides would sometimes activate less often than intended.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21973195

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 08:33:19 AM »
I've gotten one of my crafters to the point where I can make level 120 gear and follower items. All of them take a LOT of Expulsom. Should I use what I've been able to accumulate in order to help meet gear requirements? Should I equip followers? Is there a better source of unobtainium than random trinkets?

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »
* I'm only familiar with the "get herbs from missions" thing alchemists can make as far as follower gear goes, and, at least right now, the payout is not worth the cost. As prices come down/if the RNG on returns is retuned, it may become worth it.

* YMMV on if cost of gear is worth it for you. The BOP 355 stuff also takes about two weeks of mythic dungeons to get the hydrocores, and the stats are randomized. Reportedly, scrapping that stuff returns the hydrocores, but not the expulsom or other mats.

* Cheapest way to grind expulsom to my alt scribe for darkmoon cards was to have my tailor/lw make tons and tons of the low-level bracers (the equippable at 111 stuff), and send those to my scribe to scrap. Leather/scales is cheaper than cloth, but LW bracers are limited by blood-stained bones, which is harder to get a hold of, while the tailoring bracers take only cloths & vendor thread.

* If you have an alchemist, you can technically use your daily transmute to make expulsom, make trinkets with the expulsom, send the trinkets to the alt you need the expulsom on, and scrap for 1 expulsom. It's not ideal, but lets you move expulsom from one character to another at a serious expulsom loss.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:45:33 AM by Honorata »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 05:46:27 AM »
* Cheapest way to grind expulsom to my alt scribe for darkmoon cards was to have my tailor/lw make tons and tons of the low-level bracers (the equippable at 111 stuff), and send those to my scribe to scrap.

How does this generate unobtainium? I've scrapped all kinds of things and usually I get 1-2 materials per, except trinkets as discussed. I got a gem once from scrapping a ring but that was a 1/20 so far.