Author Topic: Do your WoW characters have lore?  (Read 626 times)

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
Do your WoW characters have lore?
« on: July 28, 2018, 05:31:16 PM »
A lively discussion at this year's Guildfest centered on whether we as players had established lore for our character(s). Answers ranged from none at all to a bit of story here and there without much detail to one of our founding guild members admitting that he not only had lore for all of his characters, but had lore for most of the guild at one point or another. It's dorky as hell but we had a lot of laughs and it was also interesting to hear various perceptions of characters other than our own.

I figured I'd bring the discussion here as well to see if anyone wanted to share.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Re: Do your WoW characters have lore?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 06:23:45 PM »
Most of my characters have a personality and some backstory, but I don't RP much with other people because I get nervous and also because I play too many female draenei and WoW RPers are a bunch of untrustworthy perverts.
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »
I used to have individualized stories for each of my WoW characters, and often they overlapped. For example, my Forsaken Rogue is the cousin of my Human Paladin. But over time, as the "RP" of the Earthen Ring "PVE-RP" has dwindled, I haven't RPed much at all. I think the last time I had my Dwarf Priest, Vasili, speak in a phony Russian accent was back in Burning Crusade.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 06:51:42 AM »
Two of my characters' personalities are based on their /dance moves.

The character with the deepest backstory is my death knight, who is trying to reclaim her dwarven heritage.

They all have their own personalities and quirks, but there's not a lot of story behind most of it.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 03:43:59 PM »
My characters didn't have lore, they had shtick.   Like Maxine was my paladin based on the Beatles song, so she could only use hammers.
Cree (Dr 120) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 37) Adali (DH 112)

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 05:23:52 PM »
My characters didn't have lore, they had shtick.   Like Maxine was my paladin based on the Beatles song, so she could only use hammers.

That's quite awesome.

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 08:22:36 PM »

That's quite awesome.

I think inspired by what I saw Cree doing, I did similar things for the characters I played a bunch.

Duskyrose has her thing for bears, and wanting to tame them, which eventually turned in to her awkwardly crushing on Jinsu (who is pandaren) who was a bear who nice to her.  (If you are a druid in bear form and around Dusky, she's probably checked if you were tamable with beast lore.  Just in case she finds that one druid who says yes...)

Ghoselle for a while had a thing for eating gnomes with BBQ sauce, but refusing to eat or kill animals if possible.  Animals were friends not food (unlike gnomes...)  But it means she collects all the pets and mounts, but mostly only uses mechanical and undead mounts and prefers not to use a mount at all and just run fast.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 05:50:53 AM »
All of my characters have backstories (I wouldn't go so far as to call them "lore") that predate the start of WoW, or at least their arrival in WoW. I have tried a few RP things within ER back when such were available but found them ponderous and pompous. Unlike DCers, most of the RP I found was VRY SRS BZNS and an uncouth dwarf named "Lumpee" who became a paladin to better himself wasn't really welcome among the Lord Whatsisface types. In fact, two of my characters have deliberately commoner backgrounds just because I got so sick of all the Highly Important Persons prancing about.

I recall at one point we had a "tell your characters' stories" thread on these boards, or their predecessors.

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
Sort of on topic here, there's a study researchers are doing about player-avatar relationships: https://t.co/LgpcwvBnBf. I'm not affiliated with this in any way; just saw it on Twitter.
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Brynndolin

• Cupcakes Member
  • Frequently wrong, never in doubt
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
OH MY GOD DO I HAVE STORIES.

Perhaps you have heard the story of Zeleruth? Brynnie the Mage also has a flavor all her own, albeit around mailbox RP. Thebe is a super secret class.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
Sort of on topic here, there's a study researchers are doing about player-avatar relationships: https://t.co/LgpcwvBnBf. I'm not affiliated with this in any way; just saw it on Twitter.

In a "what the hell" mood, I answered the survey's questions. They ask you to tell a story about your avatar. I told the epic tale of how I, Etherealmoon, and Longarms walked around the world in the first month of vanilla WoW (no mounts for level 10 characters!), only to perish in the fatigue zone off of the Westfall shore, in order to get the Druid aquatic form.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »

In a "what the hell" mood, I answered the survey's questions. They ask you to tell a story about your avatar. I told the epic tale of how I, Etherealmoon, and Longarms walked around the world in the first month of vanilla WoW (no mounts for level 10 characters!), only to perish in the fatigue zone off of the Westfall shore, in order to get the Druid aquatic form.

To my surprise, I heard back from those researchers. They've picked 100 gamers to re-tell their stories, either by print, audio, or video. These stories will become a digital collection archived with West Virginia University Libraries,

Since my story is rather dull, I wonder if they only received only 100 responses or less. Still, they're offering a $10 Amazon gift card to amplify my story and have it saved for posterity, so I agreed to continue in the survey.
Bill Seligman

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »
That's awesome! Like I said, I have no affiliation with them, but as a researcher, I appreciate people actually responding to surveys.
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »
That's awesome! Like I said, I have no affiliation with them, but as a researcher, I appreciate people actually responding to surveys.

I assume this is primarily so you can mark them up with a red pen.

Brynndolin

• Cupcakes Member
  • Frequently wrong, never in doubt
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 12:14:17 PM »
Nice, Winston!