Author Topic: Communities (BfA feature)  (Read 150 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Communities (BfA feature)
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:29:52 AM »
The BfA beta now contains a testable version of the new communities feature.  There are two kinds of communities:

* World of Warcraft communities are region-specific and faction-specific, but cross-realm.  You join with your character.  These communities support calendar events and quick-join.  They seem most appropriate for groups of strangers with a shared in-game interest, such as doing raid achievements, where you want to use the community to form groups.

* Blizzard Groups span all battle.net games.  You join with your battle tag.  Blizzard group support already exists in the launcher; the new bit is that you can integrate them with your WoW chat tab, and create and join them from within WoW.  These communities seem most appropriate for groups of friends who want to keep in touch when not playing a WoW character on the same realm.

I created a blizzard group on the beta and it did not show up on my launcher's social tab, or vice versa.  I think this just means they created a separate Blizzard group pool while the feature is being tested; one 8.0 goes live I expect it to be unified.  I would really like a web interface to Blizzard groups so I can follow their chat from my Linux laptop like I can with Discord servers.  On Windows/Mac you can of course install the battle.net launcher and use the social tab to do that.

Both kinds of communities support chat history and voice chat.  Guild chat will also support chat history.

Communities can be joined with invites or using invite links, similar to Discord.  I don't think there's a way to join a WoW community just by knowing its name (and in fact, I don't think their names have to be unique), so that's a potential remaining advantage of the old per-realm-and-faction chat channels.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=284742/battle-for-azeroth-beta-in-game-guild-community-ui-updates-available
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765127329#1
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21952590
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:40:37 AM by Marco »

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
Re: Communities (BfA feature)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 01:20:36 PM »
This means I can chat with you guys without having to play WoW!?
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »
No. You must play WoW to chat with us. I donít make the rules, just callously enforce them.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »
I'm the reverse of jsoh: You can talk with us without playing WoW, but since all I talk about about is WoW pets it's hardly worth it.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice