Author Topic: Fallout: 76  (Read 137 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Fallout: 76
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
I enjoyed Fallout 4 quite a bit, so I will take a brief ride on the hype train for the next Fallout game.

I believe all Bethesda has shown is a trailer, and will give more information at E3 in a couple of weeks.  Based on the trailer, the game takes place in West Virginia and occurs in 2102, earlier than any previous Fallout game.  Some people have noted that Vault 76 was set to open in 2097 based on past game lore; that could mean the vault has already been open for five years, or it could just be a lore discrepancy.

A Kotaku reporter (@jasonschreier) claims "From what I've heard, Fallout: 76 is an online game of some sort", clarifying that he only meant it is not a strictly single-player RPG.  Combined with not being named Fallout 5, this suggests more of a franchise side entry than a proper sequel.  Of course there are a lot of possibilities:

* A base-building game like Fallout: Shelter with higher production values.

* Some variant of the survival genre.  Some people think it will be like Rust based on a purported leak from last December.

* An MMO (like Elder Scrolls Online, although that was Zenimax and not Bethesda).

* An RPG with optional co-op like Diablo 3 or Borderlands, or with light MMO elements like Destiny.

* A co-op-focused mission-runner like Left 4 Dead or Vermintide.

* A genuinely innovative form of gameplay.  (Not holding my breath for this possibility; I think that usually only happens with original IP.)

Reddit is predicting doom and gloom, with threads like "I already hate it", because how dare Bethesda stray from the Formula in some as-yet-unknown way.

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
Re: Fallout: 76
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »
While I'd love to have another entry in the main series, I'm excited to see what direction this game takes. I was addicted to the scavenging and settlement building aspects of Fallout 4 with my only real complaint being that I didn't get to share my creations with others. I was amazed by some of the settlements I saw in pictures/videos from other users so the idea in getting to share that experience in a game has me chomping at the bit. Hopefully the wait between the reveal of further details on June 10th and the actual release date isn't terribly long, but that's just the eager fanboy in me talking.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 09:12:01 PM »
I watched this video of the stage show at E3 (this is mostly the part about Fallout: 76, but there's an amusing bit at the beginning that isn't related): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV63b6empgM

Salient points:

* Release date is November 14, 2018.

* The presenter referred to the game genre as "softcore survival" and said that you won't lose progression on death.

* The game is completely online.  All survivors are controlled by players.  There's no server list.  You'll share the world with "dozens, not hundreds" of players.  That sounds maybe like the Destiny online model to me, but unlike Destiny, world PvP seems to be a thing, and there was no indication that it's something you can opt out of.  Playing solo, doing quests, and leveling up as in previous Fallout games is still an option.

* You can build anywhere and move your buildings anywhere... but your stuff can also be destroyed, including by nuclear strikes.

There's still a lot of room for interpretation.  Is it easy to rebuild after someone (or a big monster) tears apart your home, or to effectively protect your constructions so it can't be heavily damaged, or is building mostly an ephemeral exercise?  Is there any sense of permanence to the changes players make to the world, or will you just wind up in a new shard the next time you load in?  What will solo questing feel like without NPCs to provide a narrative?  There will be a beta period which should grant some visibility in advance of the release.

(Other Bethesda notes: they announced a new IP called Starfield for consoles.  Elder Scrolls 6 is in development.  Also a free Elder Scrolls mobile game called Elder Scrolls Blades coming this year.  Various other things in other franchises.)

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
I'm feeling very cautious after the reveal event. My biggest concerns are 1) always online, due to Bethesda's notorious buggy launches (hopefully the announced beta will help) and 2) the storytelling. The idea of there being no NPCs really bothers me because the Fallout series has been amazing at storytelling and I'm having a hard time understanding how that will continue with this setup.

Otherwise, the online cooperation of building settlements looks neat (I have the same questions about it that Marco does) and the fact that it's 4 times larger than Fallout 4 could be amazing for replayability. I just really, really hope that this isn't about to become Fallout Battle Royale.