Author Topic: World of Warcraft Classic  (Read 198 times)

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
World of Warcraft Classic
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
Jesus, I come back here to check on you guys and find no one has posted about WoW: Classic? What the fuck are you guys doing?

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/3/16603922/world-of-warcraft-classic-announced-trailer-wow-blizzcon-2017

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: World of Warcraft Classic
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »
I was looking around for an old thread about it to post in, and didn't find one.  I don't think classic servers will interest many people here (or at least, not for very long) and they didn't announce a timeline for it.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »
I'm mildly interested in it. I played on some Blizzlike private servers but couldn't handle the extremely alt-right-y community on them. If the official server(s) attracts a more varied community it might be fun as a diversion. I'll be interested to see how this plays out at least.

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:17:29 PM by Honorata »
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
I guess I'm interested to find out how much of the old generally-perceived-as-bad stuff gets retained.  Will warriors be the only viable tanks at the high end?  Will DPS be threat-limited and threat levels only determinable via addons which have to guess based on combat log events?  Will there be raid frames in the default UI or will you need a mod to heal outside of your group?  Will addons like the old Decursive and HateMe be allowed?

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »
I think "viable ret paladins" would bother a lot of the classic community, but most of the private servers run on the 1.12 client, which has a slightly wider selection of "viable specs" than the full vanilla experience. (You can't tank everything with a bear on private servers, but you can tank a lot more things with bears than you remember being able to. Assuming you have the expanded debuff slots situation, one shadow priest per raid becomes viable if you have enough warlocks, etc.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:33:38 PM by Honorata »

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 01:17:28 PM »
I guess I'm interested to find out how much of the old generally-perceived-as-bad stuff gets retained.  Will warriors be the only viable tanks at the high end?  Will DPS be threat-limited and threat levels only determinable via addons which have to guess based on combat log events?  Will there be raid frames in the default UI or will you need a mod to heal outside of your group?  Will addons like the old Decursive and HateMe be allowed?

I feel like any of the later improvements will ruin the "vanilla experience," such as non-Warrior tanks and DPS being able to go wild. I wouldn't be surprised if UI QoL changes like built-in raid frames make it in, but you'll certainly have to scrimp and save to be able to afford your mount at 40. Have fun walking across Stranglethorn!

I'd hope they at least have some sort of quest tracking and mapping, like current live. Inb4 Mankrik's Wife spam.
o/\o

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 01:21:12 PM »
Here's my question: Will Classic have its own version of the WoW token? Because like, that was put in in the main game to be a way to kill goldsellers, but goldsellers/leveling services/etc. are a lot more compelling to people in a context like Vanilla than they were in the modern game. (Elysium private server basically imploded because one of the mods was running a behind-the-scenes goldselling scam on the side.)

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »
One of my burning questions concerns PVP, specifically if Marks of Honor for the 3 battlegrounds will return. I didn't have a lot of exposure to Vanilla, coming in a few months before BC's release, but it was one of the few times I enjoyed PVP.

This entire classic concept is incredibly interesting and I look forward to following the development to see where the compromises are and what kind of draw it actually ends up being. I don't even play these days due to lack of time so I can't imagine trying to play on a classic server in addition to the normal ones.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 08:41:45 PM »
I can't imagine them not doing that? The quests for marks has been a thing on most Blizzlike private servers.

One thing I'm curious about now that you've brought up PvP is if they'll bring back the honor ranking thing. On the one hand, that is part of the draw for some people who play on private servers, but on the other hand, holy shit I can't see Blizzard encouraging that level of poopsocking ever again because it is the legitimate worst.

Kudger

• Adjective Noun Friend
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 09:14:30 PM »
I'm personally incredibly excited for Classic servers. To experience all those old zones again is enough to make me re-subscribe on its own, let alone to play the new expansion. Because of this news I am now looking into upgrading my internet on Guam to run WoW and buying Legion (waiting for Black Friday Sale). Blizzard gave me an early Christmas gift with this news and I will be happy to support them  8)

I strongly suspect the servers will be set to near the end of Vanilla in terms of patches (all raids open, issues like debuff limit being fixed, etc) so we don't end up with some of the early issues that were almost entirely attributable to the first gen devs cutting their teeth and learning as they went. I hope they do periodic events like a once a year AQ opening event but that may be asking too much.

The key thing with a Classic server is that people need to manage their expectations. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the notion that, if you want to raid, you roll a warrior if you want to tank, a priest/druid/pally to heal, etc. It's my personal belief that the movement to make all specs of all classes equally viable has led to homogenization.

I'm also greatly looking forward to some old-school Vanilla PvP! I know getting Grand Marshal was a herculean task but, when you think about it, so is getting rank 1 Gladiator today. I'll be just fine being one of the Knight ranks just like I was fine with 1900 RBG rating. Plus, old school AV!!!

One thing I'd like to emphasize for folks on the fence about a Classic server is that the experience is extremely open ended for us to make our own fun. Back then my best friend and I would challenge ourselves by trying to two-man the hardest content we could. It got to the point where I enjoyed it more than raiding and this is coming from someone who's guild got through most of Naxx before TBC came out. My all-time favorite memory of Classic is when we two-manned the entirety of BRD and our guild wouldn't believe us until we posted screenshots (my friend was a pally tank, btw, so warriors aren't the only ones who could tank ).

Want to be a bear-tank? Shoot, bring 4 of us along and I would personally be happy to help you successfully bear tank. Want to priest-dps? Why the heck not, I'm not out to min/max so I'd be glad to be in a dungeon party with you or even raid. I don't have any illusions of killing Kel-thuzad but just want to experience the vibrant world that was Classic with everyone.

Anywho, that's my two cents  :)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:21:44 PM by Kudger »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 07:30:56 AM »
There were a bunch of BfA interviews released yesterday, but the first half of this interview was about classic:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2018/01/30/classic-servers-cats-and-cute-things-the-world-of-warcraft-interview/#1161bc9f5134

There aren't really any big reveals here, but there is some insight into why it's taking them so long when there are already private servers doing it.  This is probably one of those cases where a group of motivated volunteers working on a shoestring budget with no SLA can go a lot faster than a group of paid employees who have to worry about availability and continuing maintenance costs.

(The other half of the interview is about BfA islands and pet models, and I wish this part were available in video because there was some pretty funny banter.)