Author Topic: Battle for Azeroth  (Read 8680 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Battle for Azeroth
« Reply #255 on: November 07, 2018, 07:00:32 AM »
I've got one spec at 120: a Guardian Druid. So I'd playing the role of an ignorant tank, the most annoying kind.
After thinking about this I believe you'd probably still be okay.  The audience for normal Motherlode should mostly be people in your situation: people who have some reason to run that dungeon who aren't confident enough to run it on a higher difficulty, mixed with some undergeared 120s who are trying to get from ~285 to 305.  The people you're worrying about should mostly be queueing for heroic.  Importantly, Motherlode is not an alliance leveling dungeon, so you won't get 111s who outgear you in level-relative terms.  Motherlode is trash-dense, so you'd wind up pulling a bunch of unnecessary stuff, but I don't think most people in the normal-dungeon audience would care.

I think every mythic-only dungeon has historically gotten a heroic version in a later patch, but Blizzard didn't mention doing that for Siege of Boralus and King's Rest in the What's Next panel (I think), so I'm not certain it's happening this time.  You've certainly always been able to go back and solo them later.
The interweaving of those two dungeons with faction storylines is certainly galling to a couple of categories of players, but Blizzard has generally been willing to take that hit from time to time.  (Remember having to PvP to get your legendary cloak?)  Perhaps it's a failing, or perhaps it's important to try to draw players out of their rut occasionally; I don't really know.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #256 on: November 07, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
Go and talk with the Habormaster of Boralus. He's such an interesting fellow.

I'm assuming this was to me? I am in that space often for turn-ins of WQ and my weekly chest. There's no indication that he's talk-to-able, or that I should. Should I just click on random NPCs in order to advance the storyline? Or am I missing something else?

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #257 on: November 07, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
After you completed the Kul Tourist achievement, the Harbormaster should have offered you this quest:

https://www.wowhead.com/quest=52194/what-you-may-regret

Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #258 on: November 07, 2018, 02:26:19 PM »
I finally got around to writing a blog post on the Witches of Drustvar. I'm not copying it here because it's too long and even more trivial than my complaints about Mythic Siege of Boralus.

I should acknowledge that, to everyone on this forum, the first several paragraphs read like "The Bobbsey Twins play World of Warcraft." Not all of the three or four people who read my blog play WoW.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #259 on: November 07, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
Honestly, all they had to do was change the word from Witches.  It was diverged enough from reality it'd have been fine. 

Its awkward, because it bothers me; and at the same time I think Drustvar is the zone I enjoyed the most despite that.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #260 on: November 08, 2018, 05:59:52 AM »
After you completed the Kul Tourist achievement, the Harbormaster should have offered you this quest:

https://www.wowhead.com/quest=52194/what-you-may-regret

I think I figured it out. I've got a dungeon to run. I just ignored that as I was moving on to M+. I figured it was just another "kill an end boss and booyah" thing, not a major plot development.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #261 on: November 14, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
Maybe some of these points have been brought up before, but I don't recall. So I'm going ahead with my notes of what it's like to level a character from the beginning in the 8.x era.

When I first heard about the automatic level adjustments, I though maybe it applied throughout the entire game; I might be able to visit level 1 Icecrown and level 60 Elwynn Forest. It doesn't work that way. The starter zones now adjust for levels 1-20. The "next to starter zones" are level 15-60, the "next to next to starter zones" are 25-60, and so on. Within each expansion's content (based on mousing over the Cata zones) the automatic level adjustment spans all the levels for that expansion; e.g., the Cata zones are all 80-90.

So we don't have level 1 Winterspring, but we do have level 60 Loch Modan, and perhaps level 70 Icecrown.

I recall someone commenting in these forums (my apologies that I don't remember who) that this may remove all sense of progression. I found it otherwise, at least for me. I'm not rushing to level up, but to appreciate the experience. For example, I hadn't been in Ashenvale since the Cataclysm, so I had a chance to see what changed. Also, there's no pressure to move on to the next zone (at least until you hit the level cap for the expansion), so you might as well complete all the quests available in a particular zone. I'm getting a chance to see a lot of things I missed the previous times I quested in a given zone.

I'm leveling up a Void Elf Rogue with full Heirloom gear. With both that gear and Blizzard's XP increases, progression is fast. I typically go up five levels every 2-3 hours, and I'm far from the most efficient player. I'm following what looks like a standard Elf zone progression (Darkshore to Ashenvale to Felwood) and I may be able to get to level 60 without doing any more Classic zones than that.

To answer the question that must be burning in your mind: My character can visit Teldrassil with no problems. The tree isn't on fire yet.

In addition to Heirloom gear, the Heirloom vendors in Ironforge and Undercity sell both Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdom flight maps as toys for 10K gold. Using them doesn't give your toon every single flight point in either continent, but it's a big enough set that you can easily get around all the Classic zones that belong to your toon's faction or are at least shared. If you enjoy the occasional level-from-1 experience, it's well worth the investment.

Even with the level adjustments, there are some things that don't change. In particular, the consumables available through the vendors and the mob loot tables (aside from ilvls) don't seem to change. I gifted my toon with 2000g at her start so I would not have to worry about repairs and whatnot, and I'm even ahead by 30g or so, but without that it might be difficult to afford repairs if you plan to rely on mob loot and quest rewards for income. (I haven't checked if the monetary quest rewards scale with your level.)

There's no particular reason to pursue a crafting profession, but if you do you'll run into the same problem I did, especially if you're leveling an Allied Race which starts at level 20: You're not going to spend enough time in the low-level zones to gather the mats to level up your crafting skill. I picked alchemy and herbalism, and I don't have enough of the basic herbs to get my alchemy skill above 30 or so. Of course, I can always go to a "next to starter zone", harvest the herbs, and still do quests to level up.

I like the current leveling experience. Now that my level 120 Druid Theadora is Exalted for all the available factions, there's not much for me to do with her until 8.1. Leveling the Void Elf Winstonia gives me a pleasant way to pass the time.

Also, Rogues are cool. Not as cool as Druids, of course, but still pretty fun to play.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 05:08:19 PM by Winston »
Bill Seligman

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #262 on: November 14, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
Yeah, the old-world zones are level-banded (similar to Guild Wars 2), so you're still gaining access to content as you level up, and eventually leaving zones behind.  Most people would agree that this way generally works better for experiencing zone storylines than it was working before, although many people disliked how leveling got generally slower at the same time.  (Leveling is speeding up by about 25% in patch 8.1.)  There's no completely right way to handle RPG progression in an open-world game, especially an MMO; the detriments of the current system show up mainly in the initial leveling for a new expansion, and are often most apparent in normal dungeons when you're sharing content with four other people of different levels.

Max-level characters can also visit unburnt Teldrassil by talking to a bronze dragonflight NPC in Darkshore.

Leveling classic professions from 1-300 probably does take some specific attention to zone order, but the good news is you can skip it, and just level your profession's Legion skill once you hit 110.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2018, 11:20:16 AM »
The WoW 14th anniversary event has begun. From what little research I've done, it looks identical to the 13th anniversary: https://www.wowhead.com/guide-to-world-of-warcrafts-13th-anniversary-events
Bill Seligman

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #264 on: November 16, 2018, 02:16:35 PM »
Key differences: the bosses drop ilvl 350 loot, and there's a new toy which makes all friendly NPCs (and mounted friendly players for some reason) appear and sound like corgis.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288697/celebrate-14-years-of-world-of-warcraft

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2018, 08:38:09 AM »
I spent my Thanksgiving vacation alternately leveling up my Void Elf Rogue and playing Red Dead Redemption 2. I'll have an RDR2 review eventually. For now, I'm going to correct and expand some statements I made about leveling upthread.

Up to 60: It turns out that the classic zones that were formerly 60-only are now all 40-60; in fact, for all the classic zones the lowest level for banding is 40. So you can't have level 1 Winterspring, but you can have level 40. I chose to "Elfquest" with my Void Elf as best I could, going from Darkshore to Ashenvale to Felwood to Feralas. That only got me to the high 40s, so I got to 60 going to Redridge and about 60% of Duskwood.

60 to 80: This where I am now, at level 65. Mousing over the world maps I see that both the BC and Wrath zones have the same level banding, from late 50s to 80. When you hit level 58, you get a scroll that lets you pick whether you want a starting quest in Outland or Northrend. I chose to skip Outland and go straight to the Howling Fjord at 60. As I said, I'm still at 65 with about 75% of the zone quests in Howling Fjord done. At this rate I should get to 80 going through four Wrath zones. If you want to bounce between Outland and Northrend, the Adventure Guide gives you access to the starting quest to any zone for which you're within its level banding.

80 to 90: Again, the zone banding for the Cata zones and the MoP zones covers the same range, from late 70s to 90. I plan to skip Cata and go straight to Pandaria.

90 to 100: The lower end of the zone banding for the WoD zones is unchanged from pre-BfA, so you can have level 100 Shadowmoon Valley if you want, but not level 90 Tanaan Jungle.

100 to 110: Legion looks unchanged for now. I'm curious as to whether the Artifact weapon is competitive with the Heirloom equivalent as I level through those zones, but I've got a long way to go before I see the answer.

As I first thought and as Marco confirmed, picking a crafting profession while leveling pre-BfA is pretty useless. A better strategy is to pick Herbalism and Mining for the XP that comes from gathering a node; you get roughly twice the XP from a node than you do from killing a mob. You can send what you gather to your Auction alt for some spare cash; I assume the buyers want to craft items for their low-level alts. This won't get you the 5M gold for the brontosaurus mount, but waste not want not.

Of course, there's the issue of whether the time to gather a node is worth it compared to the time it takes to kill a mob. For me, it's worth it because I normally take on one creature at a time. I know there are players who gather up the mobs and quickly take them down all at once, but that's beyond my skill.

Drops: The money from mobs is unchanged from pre-BfA. Item drops and quest rewards have the ilvl appropriate for your character's level. Consumables appear to be level-appropriate as well. Other items vary. For example, when my Rogue pickpockets in Wrath, I get lockboxes that require Lockpicking 350 to open, which I won't get until the character is level 70. Consumables from quest rewards are unchanged; one quest gave me food that I won't be able to use until level 70.

Flying: You get access to flying at level 60, with faster flying available at levels 70 and 80. My character can fly in Northrend, and presumably Outland. According to wowhead, flying in Pandaria, Draenor, and the Broken Isles should be available to me as well since I got those skills on other toons.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:41:37 AM by Winston »
Bill Seligman