Author Topic: Battle for Azeroth  (Read 5692 times)

Fernia

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Battle for Azeroth
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »
Although it's tempting to switch to Ferndoyln for the next expansion, to solve our perpetual lack of Druids in the raid ... I think I will stick with Fernia at least to begin with.  Sounds like disco will be more bubble oriented again, and shadow will have shorter / less punishing rotation.  We'll see --- I'm in the middle of endless renos right now, so I might be late to the raid party this time around.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2018, 05:28:08 PM »
Prepatch coming this Tuesday

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2018, 11:10:26 AM »
The first part of the War of Thorns went live today.  It's a short quest line with no cinematics, essentially depicting the opening stages of the war.  After the quest line some world quests open up in Darkshore.  One of them awarded a warglaive weapon for my DH, so I guess there are some transmog rewards here.  My other characters didn't have immediate access to the world quests, so it's possible that you have to run the quest line multiple times to get everything.

Blizzard also released an animated short about Jaina.  "Animated" is maybe a little generous because it's basically still frames, but the artwork is quite good.  It contains a song which will absolutely get stuck in your head.  There are two more shorts coming, one about Azshara and one about Sylvanas (possibly not in that order).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqN5IQD-3L0

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2018, 01:47:26 PM »
According to some folks on my Twitter dash, you can talk to your faction leader on alts to skip the story questing and go straight to the new War of Thorns WQs on your alts.
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2018, 07:59:52 PM »
According to some folks on my Twitter dash, you can talk to your faction leader on alts to skip the story questing and go straight to the new War of Thorns WQs on your alts.
Yes, but be sure not to complete the follow on quest to talk to Mathias Shaw. Once you complete that quest, the option to skip Darkshore is gone.
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2018, 06:19:37 AM »
So, I did the quest chain and it just kind of left me sitting on a dock with Malfurion. I assume that's deliberate, and there will be a continuation of that in the future?

I agree about the Jaina video - it's done in a semi-still anime style that I quite like and I think the artwork is good. Online buzz is that the singer of the song is the woman who does Jaina's in-game voice acting.

I am not at all up on the lore, but I'm told that the video references all the way back to Warcraft III and may hint at characters appearing in BfA that were in the earlier Warcraft games but haven't yet been seen in WoW. Anyone have more info on that?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2018, 07:08:15 AM »
Taliesin explains most of it in his analysis video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgN8m09hD7c

For a longer treatment, Nobbel (https://www.youtube.com/user/Nobbel87/videos) is also doing a multi-part rundown of the Jaina story, but I haven't watched it.

I'm not easily finding a good text summary; I'm sure it's out there.  In Warcraft 3 we get to see that Jaina basically sided with Thrall and Rexxar against her father Daelin, and for pretty good reasons.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2018, 08:50:33 AM »
Online buzz is that the singer of the song is the woman who does Jaina's in-game voice acting.

Yes, Laura Bailey, who does the in-game VO for Jaina also recorded the voice for the new video.
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2018, 08:15:08 AM »
It looks like the War of Thorns world quests spawn four at a time at 11am each day.  They all appear to award base-ilvl-210 gear, which is on par with normal Antorus loot.  So while there is no leveling bonanza in this pre-patch event like there was with the Legion one, you can at least gear out alts for slightly faster early BfA leveling.

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2018, 10:59:13 AM »
One nice thing to note about doing the Darkshore WQs is the reward of 210 weapons.  For several of my alts these were great replacements for dead artifacts.  It's still possible to pursue relics for artifacts for i-level updates, but not nearly as easily.

I did note that on completing the quest chain on my heroic Antorus geared main, that I'm not seeing the WQs on my map.  I mean, I'd have no reason to pursue 210 gear, but still.  Sweetums found forum posts saying the map might not be showing quest areas that are actually there.  But I've only seen them on "undergeared" alts who could benefit so far.

Also, the gear drops do not seem to have any draw for transmog.  The only set I worked at getting all of, for my hunter, all has the appearance of the base initial set of hunter gear.
Alliance: Fallowgrey L120 Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk / Zelbinion, Worgen Warrior
Horde: Rinkitink, Belf Hunter / Sootandash, L105 Tauren Druid
Misc: Kikiaru, L74 Gnome Mage / Erzula, L40 Human Rogue

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2018, 12:45:25 PM »
Do you use World Quest Tracker or a similar addon?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
Here's a spreadsheet (not really functionally a spreadsheet, but it's stored as one) with advice on BfA leveling and raid prep.  This is targeted at people who are like 800% more hardcore than anyone I know, but it still might be interesting for people to pick and choose advice from.  The professions page might be the most relevant to some people here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xHvIxX5TE0ZMYTKBzkaRNFQTJzYQJhhho8KuyK4CB0w/htmlview?sle=true#

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2018, 05:44:45 AM »
I was wondering about the value of the weapons dropped from these quests. My guildmate got two of them on his hunter. Both polearms, and both well below the ilvl of the artifact on my lowest-alt-what-has-done-mythics. I imagine it'd be good for alts just hitting 110 but polearms for hunters??

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2018, 06:34:46 AM »
I imagine it'd be good for alts just hitting 110 but polearms for hunters??

Survival hunters.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2018, 07:36:51 AM »
Doing the second week's quests appears to open up a fifth daily.  I didn't see a way to skip the second part of the quest line on alts, though.  (The existing four dailies are still available if you don't do the week quests.)