Author Topic: Battle for Azeroth  (Read 6225 times)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Battle for Azeroth
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »
That's been a common reaction, but it's not like the different regions share servers, so I don't get it.

Blizz has a long and not quite so glorious history of xpac launches, and now they’re choosing to deliberately up the degree of difficulty?

I devoutly hope to be wrong, but my money is on Pira being closer to the pin here.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2018, 03:52:57 PM »
To give a better sense of the stat/item level squish now that we have character copies:
* Legendaries (item level 1000) squish to 265 (and stop working at level 116)
* Naian is 961 equipped on live and 235 equipped on beta
* Here's what the artifact tree looks like on beta:

WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2018, 04:35:23 PM »
I copied all of my level 110 characters to see what the range of outcomes is.  My characters above level 920 all dropped by about 720 item levels, while the ones below that dropped by less; my warrior who dinged 110 today at ilvl 753 only dropped by 600 item levels.  That fits with the expectation that the first part of this expansion's item progression mostly disappears into linearity along with all of the previous non-squished expansions'.  I think this might make it easier to level through invasions, which don't award gear like questing does, since there won't be as much of a power difference between level 100 gear and level 110 gear.

I am curious what the initial item level progression is in BfA--quest rewards at level 120, normal dungeon loot, etc..

Someone on mmo-champion noted that auto-completion order hall items turn into gray trash.  So it seems we won't be able to blow up world quests in 8.0 (or perhaps when the expansion launches, but I bet in 8.0).  The demon hunter NPC who normally grants this item in my order hall won't talk to me on the beta and there is no UI element on the world map for auto-completing a world quest.  The class hall upgrade tree hasn't been updated to say something different in that spot, though.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2018, 04:51:03 PM »
Rephrasing this whole post, sorry for the complete edit:

* Leveling greens at 120 -- not sure. These got rebalanced after i'd hit 120, but I'm pretty sure they're in the 290 range now.
* Normal Dungeon gear at 120: 310 base
* Heroic dungeon gear: 325 base
* Mythic+0 gear: 340 base
* Rep gear: 325 cloak at Honored (differently itemized by faction), 340 item (non-Azerite) at Honored, 355 item (non-Azerite except from Champions of Azeroth ) at Exalted. Assuming leveling quest rep isn't rebalanced before launch, you're likely to be at or nearing Revered with the 3 leveling reps just from questing the whole zone, which you're gonna do anyway for the pathfinder achievement. (There are 6 reps you'll encounter total so far. Three that match with each of your faction's leveling zones, then Champions of Azeroth/Magni, the Tortollans, and the rep associated with your faction's War Campaign.)
* WQ gear was capping out at 310/315 prior to this build, but with this build I've gotten a few WQs that offered 320 items to me. Not sure where the cap will end up.
* Raid Dungeon Journal seems to be a work in progress, but I'm guessing 355 is the starting point for normal gear.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:17:20 PM by Honorata »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
8.0 has hit the PTR.  They haven't announced a release date for 8.0 to go live, although early-to-mid-July seems likely.

There was a developer Q+A which I won't have time to watch until later.  From the mmo-champion summary, I see "It is intended that you aren't able to swap gear while inside Mythic+ dungeons."  I don't think many of us were swapping around gear between trash and bosses, but this will suck if you accidentally start a keystone while in the wrong gear set.  (The same problem already applies if you start a keystone with the wrong talents, of course.)

Another change that floated by recently is that "windowed fullscreen" and "exclusive fullscreen" have been merged into just "fullscreen" in the client (for Windows).  This change is apparently driven by DirectX 12.  The main upshot is that you can't make your fullscreen resolution different from your desktop resolution, and if you want to change the gamma you'll have to do that through your graphics card control panel.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2018, 05:36:03 PM »
Two things I noted from the Q+A (well, the first half):

* Cross-realm mythic raiding will be enabled once 100 alliance and 100 horde guilds have killed the final boss of that raid on mythic.  I bet that number needs adjusting downward some day.

* Ion said RP servers don't cross-realm with other (presumably non-connected) servers, so in theory the only time you should see players from other realms in the world, including in war mode, is when people have formed cross-realm groups.  I don't know if I believe that given how often I see players from other realms out in the world.  (Although it is consistent with how poorly Argus invasion points worked for us without explicitly using the group finder.)  For example, I just experimentally hearthed to Suramar and I see people from Argent Dawn, Kirin Tor, and The Scryers just hanging around not doing much; it seems unlikely that they were all only here because they're grouped with an Earthen Ring player to hang out at Shal'Aran.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:52:45 PM by Marco »

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2018, 03:42:43 AM »
Perhaps he meant rp realms don't cross-realm with non-rp realms or rp realms outside our initial crossrealm cluster? because we've always been clustered with kirin tor & argent dawn since they started doing "old zone cross realming." This still puts our zone populations much much lower than it is for non-rp servers.

other notes: bellular pointed out on twitter that current ptr build is a more current build than what's on the beta, including some class changes that aren't on beta.

shaman dps players in particular mad about q&a answer about their specs being "whoops we ran out of time, we'll make those changes in 8.1"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:47:11 AM by Honorata »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2018, 07:57:02 AM »
I've just not been motivated to play in the beta, but my experience in trying to get some things finished up on live convinces me I'll never turn on war mode. In particular, the whole notion of shared rares, non-faction-tagging and such goes immediately to sh*t If you're flagged. Lots of specs AOE as part of their normal rotation, which means you're going to be hitting opposite faction players will you or no. It's going to be impossible to tell that from deliberately hitting people, and people are going to hit back.

The boost for war mode now needs to make up for my inability to hit world rares or shared tag targets, as well as the time I'm going to spend running back to my corpse, which may or may not be camped. Nuh unh. Not gonna happen.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »
You're unlikely to see much in the way of opposing faction players if you level in the first week or so of the expac, and that's really where most of the benefit of war mode is. The 10% bonus only applies to the individual WQs and not the emissaries, and AP income from individual WQs quickly becomes a "nice but drop in the bucket" thing relative to your overall AP pool. It might be worth turning Warmode on if you're min-maxing your AP income from WQs, but for most players,you won't be super behind if you don't do it. (Based on incomes on beta you're seeing maybe an additional 25 AP/WQ and an additional 5 resources/WQ in warmode, neither of which are gonna break the bank.)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »
There was one more bit of new information in the dev Q+A: Azerite armor (head, shoulders, chest) of epic quality will only come from sources with weekly lockouts [edit: or daily lockouts, like emissary chests], and will binned into 15-ilvl increments.  For mythic+, this means it won't drop from the dungeons themselves, but it can come from the weekly chest.  If it does, it will match the item level of drops from one of the current raid tier difficulties, whereas other types of gear from the chest comes in 5-ilvl increments based on your highest mythic+ completed.

The intent is that you won't be spamming mythic+ dungeons to try to get copies of an Azerite armor piece, and you won't be deciding between ilvl 360 and ilvl 365 Azerite armor pieces based on some spreadsheet of their trait values.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:36:56 PM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2018, 07:46:39 PM »
Order hall upgrades have a non-class-specific analog in BfA.  wowhead has an article on what you can get from the new system as of the latest build.

https://bfa.wowhead.com/news=285040/battle-for-azeroth-new-feature-research-options

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2018, 01:37:03 PM »
New beta build increases XP needed per level from 110-120, so like

Probably you will need to complete more than two zones to get to max level now, I guess.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2018, 08:29:26 AM »
I missed it at the time, but a couple of weeks ago Ion said some interesting stuff about the pre-patch in an interview with Heather Newman:

* There will be no leveling bonanza in the pre-patch like there was with Legion.  (Although I will reiterate that the stat squish might make leveling through invasions easier.)

* There will be some story scenarios related to Teldrassil which you can do during the pre-patch whether or not you've bought BfA.

* If you've bought BfA, you will likely be able to do the Battle for Lordaeron scenario about a week before BfA launch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2018/06/26/top-things-to-do-before-battle-for-azeroth-by-warcrafts-game-director/#295c7c2e57b0

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2018, 06:01:16 AM »
I've been hearing rumors that a (the?) prepatch was going to drop this week but the schedule for maintenance shows only the usual 1hr down time.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2018, 02:09:13 PM »
Pat Krane and Thyst (both popular wow podcasters who I happened to be watching on stream this afternoon) intimated that they had inside knowledge that 8.0 would come out "next week" which likely means the 17th.  I think we'd know by now if it was going to be tomorrow.