Author Topic: Battle for Azeroth  (Read 4462 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Battle for Azeroth
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2018, 02:54:01 PM »
While we're waiting to be able to log in... here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDH0R8yFPmA
Have a video about the new allied races. The dude who made this is not someone I normally watch - it just popped up on my YouTube recommendations - and he seems to be pretty into the quest/RP part of the game. I do like the idea that leveling these new races will give heirloom gear, which I think is an excellent way to boost the leveling experience without having an impact on the end-game content.

Interesting that they may have finally cracked the nut of adding new races, meaning they could release a lot more. My guess is we won't keep getting character slots for them.

What do people think of the races that have been added?

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2018, 03:07:55 PM »
Note on Allied race unlocks: It looks like you will have to do the stuff on the correct faction to unlock a particular Allied race after all. :( So I guess I gotta get back on finishing Suramar Hordeside. :( :( :(

Me, when Allied Races were announced: Void elves are so dumb. They're just there to keep the allied race number even between the factions and they basically came out of nowhere and personally I don't want them.
Me, today: WHEN WILL THE SERVERS BE UP SO I CAN MAKE GOTH ELVES BLIZZARD.

Anyway, Lightforged have nice hornz, so I'll probably level one eventually, but I don't care that much. Nightborne are rad AF, but I'm annoyed I have to do Suramar on a THIRD CHARACTER for them. Do not care at all about Highmountain Tauren. Very excited for Dark Irons and Zandalari.

Also, SKINNY AND FAT KUL TIRAN HUMANS BECOME PLAYABLE WHEN, BLIZZARD? WHEN?????
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:10:20 PM by Honorata »
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2018, 03:26:03 PM »

Honestly, I think void elves should have been horde and the highmountain tauren should have been alliance.  The diet draenei (extra-light!) seem weird that they are even a race at all (do paladins become a different race when they dress in tier gear -- apparently if they are a draenei...).  Honestly, I'd probably have been more pleased if they just added highmountain tauren and nightborne and skipped the other 2. 

Its weird that I'm only really interested in races that ended up horde -- and I'm unlikely to get to see the horde side as my 110 horde character is my least favorite class so I've done no Suramar on them.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »
Note on Allied race unlocks: It looks like you will have to do the stuff on the correct faction to unlock a particular Allied race after all. :( So I guess I gotta get back on finishing Suramar Hordeside. :( :( :(
That wasn't my interpretation of what Ion said in the Q+A.  He said you need a 110 horde character to run the intro quest to unlock an allied race, but the reputation/achievement requirements are account-wide across factions.

(https://www.twitch.tv/videos/224022383, 24:30 in)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »
I'll have to check once I can log on & have purchased the pre-order (so like, probably not until tomorrow). I saw some people on Twitter reporting they couldn't unlock, with that situation but I might have misunderstood if they had a 110 of their alt faction to unlock the embassy.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2018, 04:44:29 PM »
My reaction to the new races: Meh. They start at level 20, which means they don't have unique starting zones. Frankly, as I've leveled up alts solely to get pets, it's been the starting zones that have been the most interesting part of the game. In appearance they're just reskins of the existing races. I strongly doubt that any of their racial abilities are going to be game-changers.

And I'll bet some of those races have unique pets like Goblins do, just to be make life a bit more miserable for pet collectors.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2018, 04:45:48 PM »
I'll have to check once I can log on & have purchased the pre-order (so like, probably not until tomorrow). I saw some people on Twitter reporting they couldn't unlock, with that situation but I might have misunderstood if they had a 110 of their alt faction to unlock the embassy.
My horde 110, who has not started the Suramar questline, has got the quest for the Nightfallen. I have completed yet due to raid time.
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »
I just checked the first breadcrumb in the new-race plotlines. You have to be Exalted with at least one faction on Argus to go on them (Army of the Light for Lightforged; Argussian Reach for Void Elves). Just when I thought I'd had enough of Argus...
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2018, 07:10:24 PM »
On the Horde side, the Highmountain Tauren questline requires being Exalted with the Highmountain Tribe, while the Nightborne requires Exalted with the Nightfallen. However, it only requires any of the toons on your account to have earned Exalted status. Yungi (Alliance Monk) has Exalted with both; Grotar (Horde Warrior) is Exalted with neither, yet he was allowed to pursue both questlines.
Bill Seligman

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
I completed the Highmountain Tauren questline. It took about an hour. It's less interesting than Blizzard thinks it is; it involved too much searching through terrain to find the bosses to battle. Once complete, I saw I could create a new Highmountain Tauren character on the game's character-creation page (click "Allied Races"). I'll tackle the Nightborne tomorrow. It may be interesting, since Grotar never got far enough along the Suramar questline to have that disguise spell cast on him.
Bill Seligman

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »
The Nightborne quest only took about a half hour for me. The void elf quest was also pretty short although you have to wander around the Ghostlands a bit before you get to do the scenario. The Lightforged is all scenario, but the scenario is on the longish side.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2018, 06:24:22 AM »
I'm sort of surprised at people buying the new expansion this early. My usual pattern has been to wait until I can poke at it on a beta server to make a buy/no-buy decision. Realistically, I'm going to buy because sunk investment but I'm not eager to throw more cash at Blizzard until I know what I'm getting for it.

So my questions for folk who've done this: do you typically buy the next expansion early? Did allied races influence you to buy early? Do you know enough now about the upcoming expansion to feel it's worth your early cash?

Honestly, I don't have a lot of time to investigate things first-hand (I don't even follow blue trackers anymore) so I rely a lot on word from people I know, and commentators I follow.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2018, 06:48:39 AM »
You need to pre-purchase the expansion to unlock allied races, so that's probably a factor.

I'm not immediately into allied races (I like the idea of void elves but I have plenty of alts already) and I usually don't pre-purchase until later on, but while there's no rush for me, there's also no reason not to.  My sub is paid up until mid-2021 with wow tokens, I'm maxed on battle.net balance from wow tokens (around $350), I'm in a raid group which plans to continue, and I've never not enjoyed the game--even during the Warlords content drought when the overall player base grumbling was pretty loud.  Blizzard would have to muck things up way more than usual to make me regret spending fake bucks on BfA.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2018, 06:58:01 AM »
I'm in general in no rush to pre-purchase an expansion, but I usually do it sometime before release so if there's any preloading that needs to be done, I can do it.  There would need to be some catastrophically stupid decision in an expansion to make me think about walking away from it and I think Blizzard knows at this point not to rock the boat THAT much.  (IE: I don't think they're suddenly during an expansion going to turn this into an FPS or a match-3 puzzle game.)

Like Marco said I enjoy the game and I've got a solid and fun raid team that I want to continue playing with.  I don't pay with fake money and I pay with real money but even then it's not all that expensive considering the amount of time I put in, even if I literally just showed up for my two raids days I'd feel like I'm getting more than my money's worth.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
In general, most of the time, I think pre-purchasing digital downloads for AAA games is a bad choice for consumers to make, and mostly we shouldn't do it. I usually only pre-purchase by a few days before the expansion drops for WoW.

However, my current plan is to be a Void Elf monk next expansion, and rather than pay for a race change for my current monk, I wanted to just get the unlocks out of the way and level one during this expansion's doldrums. Like Kharvek and Marco, I have a stable raid team, and have enjoyed the game enough to keep playing it even during low points like Warlords, so it's a fairly safe bet I'll get my $50 worth out of the BFA purchase.

Also, I'm a huge hypocrite.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:24:07 AM by Honorata »