Author Topic: Battle for Azeroth  (Read 11149 times)

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
Re: Battle for Azeroth
« Reply #240 on: November 05, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
What I'm annoyed AF at the moment (at least in WoW) is that unlocking the Dark Iron Dwarf Allied Race requires killing a dungeon boss; the Horde equivalent race does not require this. Now that we're three months into the expansion, I don't think folks are willing to accept "This is my first time" as an excuse anymore, so this locks out this Allied Race for me until 9.0.

Not that I planned to play a Dark Iron Dwarf (I'm having enough fun with my Void Elf Rogue), but it's the principle of the thing.

If I'm around, I'll tank whatever you need. 

-Ghos

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #241 on: November 05, 2018, 10:41:47 AM »
If you queue up for Motherlode on normal as DPS, I wouldn't expect any difficulties even if you haven't been there before.

My understanding is that the equivalent horde quest chain requires some difficult solo encounters which some players aren't able to beat, so it's kind of a mixed bag.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #242 on: November 05, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
I've got one spec at 120: a Guardian Druid. So I'd playing the role of an ignorant tank, the most annoying kind. (I've tried to become a tank who rushes from one combat to the next so the healers can't recover their mana, but I'm just not fast enough.)
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #243 on: November 05, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »
Who's rotting in jail?  Jaina has been rescued (not from the horde) and is leading the Kul Tiran navy at this point.

I missed this somehow? I've got one character that's done all of the current flight prereqs, so what am I missing and how do I get it?

Khadgar wants no part in the faction war and is not working for the alliance.  I can see that Velen is mentioned in Elegy, but I still haven't read that, so I don't know what he's been doing offscreen.

Khadgar certainly relied on Anduin and Stormwind when it was convenient for him, but fine. Velen also has historically acted to prevent massive bloodshed but maybe he DGAF anymore.

If my pie-in-the-sky theory is right and Blizzard wants to make the factions fall apart at the end of the BfA story, Anduin can't be shown as a great and successful leader.

I'm not sure what the game would look like in that event. So much of the game is based on the two sides - obviously PVP but also faction-tagging for mobs, who you can instance with, control of zones, etc.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:28:07 AM by Snique »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
Complete the Kul Tourist achievement (lots of questing), then do a long quest chain involving several dungeons.  That unlocks Siege of Boralus, which has a cut scene at the end.

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #245 on: November 05, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
so this locks out this Allied Race for me until 9.0

Not that I planned to play a Dark Iron Dwarf (I'm having enough fun with my Void Elf Rogue), but it's the principle of the thing.

It sounds to me like this lined up perfectly!

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #246 on: November 06, 2018, 06:40:04 AM »
Complete the Kul Tourist achievement (lots of questing), then do a long quest chain involving several dungeons.  That unlocks Siege of Boralus, which has a cut scene at the end.

I would then guess that the vast majority of players are like me and don't do arduous achievements and so have no idea that there's a crucial(?) story development there. I mean, why would Blizzard put a key story element behind such a thing anyway? After doing the major and attention-grabbing preview video it makes no sense to me to put a major step in her story so far off the beaten path.

So I sort of stand by  my previous statement - I'm irked and I continue to think this expansion's story is awful.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #247 on: November 06, 2018, 07:39:18 AM »
If nothing is gated, it all arrives in the player's lap in a random order, which can be fine, but in this case would have resulted in a pretty jumbled story.  You'd be solving the mystery of the missing fleet in Stormsong Valley after you'd already seen it restored.  Gating story behind story doesn't seem so bad, although there probably should have been a quest breadcrumb to indicate that there's something behind the Kul Tourist achievement.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #248 on: November 06, 2018, 09:19:16 AM »
I'm going to side with Snique here, for fairly obvious reasons: the Siege of Boralus is a Mythic instance. That means it's effectively shut off from casual gamers like me. The end of the story is only accessible to those with the gaming skill and enough companions with similar skills to tackle a Mythic dungeon.

I'm going to assert something I think is difficult to prove (and perhaps defend): The kind of player who would go through all the dungeons in the LFD list systematically is not the kind of player who'd be particularly interested in the story. If they did a Normal Siege of Boralus instance before doing a normal MOTHERLODE!! instance, they wouldn't care; they probably would be skipping through the cutscenes.

I got caught up enough in the story to go through three instances a second time, just to free Jaina. It was still early enough in the expansion to save me from total embarrassment and a vote to kick me out. The actual Jaina rescue was interesting, though not the best storytelling I've seen Blizzard do. Then to see the final resolution: better get a Mythic party ready if you want to see it, or else view it on YouTube.

So the gamers who get the see the whole story must be both motivated by the tale, and be of an upper echelon of gamers. I haven't liked this in past expansions (to see Garrosh's fate you had to do an LFR at minimum) and I don't like it now, especially since there's no LFD for Mythics.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #249 on: November 06, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
OK now I'm even more confused. I wasn't sure about Kul Tourist achievement so I went and checked. I've done Pathfinder, as I said, so I know the bit that comes at the end of that third of the zone questlines but afaik that just ends with
SPOILER BELOW
The overthrow and flight of the despot power behind the throne and then a "let's talk" bit. Jaina never shows up, afaict. What's this about instances?

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #250 on: November 06, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »
Go and talk with the Habormaster of Boralus. He's such an interesting fellow.
Bill Seligman

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #251 on: November 06, 2018, 03:27:09 PM »
Spoilery stuff

MORE SPOILERY STUFF!

The major component of that end questline is saving Jaina from the Blighted Lands and reuniting her with her mother. You have to travel to a far away island in the questline so it's all pretty memorable stuff, imo.

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »
Siege of Boralus is a Mythic instance. That means it's effectively shut off from casual gamers like me. The end of the story is only accessible to those with the gaming skill and enough companions with similar skills to tackle a Mythic dungeon.

So the gamers who get the see the whole story must be both motivated by the tale, and be of an upper echelon of gamers. I haven't liked this in past expansions (to see Garrosh's fate you had to do an LFR at minimum) and I don't like it now, especially since there's no LFD for Mythics.

This is where the argument goes off the rails to me. LFR, to be perfectly fair and honest, is the most mindless content in the game, especially for a group setting. It was introduced as a way for people who either wouldn't or couldn't do standard raiding to see the story and get some loot above standard dungeons. If the expectation is to have the entire story unfold from questing, it would be a single-player game and that's obviously not what WoW is.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #253 on: November 07, 2018, 04:16:08 AM »
I have a feeling that your experience with LFR is different from mine. The last time I used LFR was in Pandaria, and things might have changed since then. When I was grinding for some pet or other in Pandaria LFR, it was a disorganized mess, including lots of wipes and (believe it or not) anti-semitism. So I fully agree with the adjective "mindless". There is certainly no incentive for me to do LFR just to see the end of a story.

"If the expectation is to have the entire story unfold from questing, it would be a single-player game and that's obviously not what WoW is." Half of me wants to agree and the other half disagrees, at least with the reasoning. Since the latter half presently controls my fingertips, I'll say (again, perhaps weakly) that if the entire story could be revealed through single-player questing, for the majority of players who do instances and raids it wouldn't change the game at all, since they explore that content for gear, community, achievements, collectibles, or just to see it all.

The other half of me is gaining control of my keyboard, so I can now also acknowledge that I may be whining about the need to go through Mythic Siege of Boralus for the end of that story. It's easy to imagine that Blizzard would introduce Normal or Heroic versions of that instance over time. I don't know the fate of Mythic dungeons once their associated expansion is over; if I were willing to wait until 9.x all the story-curious people could just solo it.
Bill Seligman

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #254 on: November 07, 2018, 06:54:15 AM »
I'm not going to lie and say LFR is some paradise but more often that not, it's a fairly mundane experience as long as you don't run it the day/week of release of the raid wing. I also turn off instance chat because of the toxicity but I also have general/trade chat turned off most of the time as is.

As it pertains to story, I genuinely feel that there's a sweet spot that Blizzard tries to present when it comes to end-game content. You get rewarded with gear, an achievement, and a sense of completion by seeing the storyline through. I don't actually know too many people personally who are fans of WoW's lore and I'm married to someone who cares less than zero about the story so maybe I'm just projecting my own feelings onto it. Point is, if the story came only through questing, it would be quite a letdown because there's not much of a challenge to it at all.

It's easy to imagine that Blizzard would introduce Normal or Heroic versions of that instance over time. I don't know the fate of Mythic dungeons once their associated expansion is over; if I were willing to wait until 9.x all the story-curious people could just solo it

If they continue the path from Legion, Mythic only dungeons will become available on lesser difficulties as the expansion progresses.